It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's advice for near-term meteor strike: "Pray"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Whats bothersome is that nobody was warned about the one in Russia.........

They say that it would have exploded with the force of 20 hiroshima bombs.......but they didnt see fit to let anyone know that it was possible this thing would land intact?

You cant tell me they didnt know about it, something with that much potential destructive power.......

For anyone that thinks that we would be warned.............I think what happened in Russia answers the question.....

Well, I'm sure no one will believe it because it's NASA, but they say it's because it was too small:

We are quickly learning a lot about the Russian fireball. It was pretty small - only about 15 m and about 7000 tonnes - and that's why it wasn't detected. This object wasn't seen earlier because it was really faint, and it might not have been visible to observers in the night sky. Most of the survey efforts have been very successful in finding the largest asteroids (about 90% of the near-Earth objects larger than 1 km in diameter have been found), but there is still a lot of work to be done with finding and tracking the smaller objects.

io9.com...

And as far as what we would have done even if we did know about it, I'll let Superman explain...

If I released all of the meteor’s energy at once by destroying it, I would have made it much worse.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by DarknStormy
Can you explain to me what happens in the video I posted because what ever that white light is comin from behind certainly impacts that meteor..

Yes, nothing.

Or do you think that those vertical lines above and below the meteor were also there? All those are the result of the meteor being filmed through the windshield.

One of the things that shows that nothing happened is that there was no reaction on the meteor. If it had been hit by something, then we should see some reaction, and there was none.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So........now that we know NASA's best advice, do you think, if they knew about something large a couple or a few years out they would tell us about it? Or would they work secretly to find a solution? Or say, if it was very large and couldn't be diverted, but would still affect earth, would they make plans to save themselves and other elites with the justification that not everyone could be saved, the best and brightest minds have the best hope of rebuilding society, and if the masses were to know there would be in short order panic, riots, chaos and anarchy?

So what would this secret planning look like? A bunch of laws such as confiscation of goods, property etc; takeover of communications, and martial law at the drop of a hat? Many secret internment camps across America? A huge underground bunker at one of the highest points in the US? Many agencies moving close to this bunker? Militarization of domestic security agencies to meet some unknown opponent?

Glad we're not seeing any of that!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Yeah I do think they knew........and its not just America that is watching for these things......there are other countries out there with programs like this as well......

So really there was no excuse........

if they could see the one that was suppose to pass by us........You cant tell me that NONE of the programs around the world saw this potentially City Ending , millions of potential lives lost, death from above, rock flying through space, ....

I just dont buy it
edit on 19-3-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

Wow, do you know anything about cosmic scale? do you understand the amount of area they have to look through to see potential threats around earth?

EVEN if every country was looking, with out coordination of the efforts you would get either overlap or still have huge gaps in the coverage.

That meteor is the warning bell, hopefully someone will get on this effort global (Russia has already called for such an organization)

The Government is not some all knowing all powerful organization in control of all, thats just what they want you to think. In reality its a hodgepodge of bureaucracy that blunders through the day motivated only by greed and power.

Hell I wish the government was as powerful as people seem to think on ATS, than maybe # would actually get done in this country.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I don't think anything extra terrestrial intervened with the meteor that exploded over Russia.

I watched a fascinating programme on this and the meteor was in fact made of rock. Scientists raced from all over Europe to search for pieces of it and a Professor from Cardiff University working in partnership with Russian scientists explained why it broke up the way it did.

The pieces they analysed had small hairline cracks in them. They claimed that this was more than likely caused when it collided with another meteor and was sent on a course, Earth bound. As the meteor entered the atmosphere it obviously started heating up, hence the glow of it. Whilst it started heating up, the air in the cracks expanded, causing the meteor to break up.

If it was made of iron or a mix of iron and rock, then it would have hit Earth at such a speed, the devastation it would have caused would of been of the likes no one living had ever witnessed.

So, lucky that it had collided with another rock in space and thankfully it exploded in the way it did.

Although great strides have been taken in detecting such meteors, remember there was a Meteor the size of an Olympic swimming pool coming within close range that day, some will slip through the net.

So pray? If you believe in that kind of thing sure.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yeah I do think they knew........and its not just America that is watching for these things......there are other countries out there with programs like this as well......

So really there was no excuse........

The sky is big area to cover. To spot small(ish) objects like the Russian meteor (something that does not reflect light like an artificial satellite) a relatively large telescope is needed.

The bigger the amplifying of the telescope (needed to see small objects), the smaller the area covered, as you can see if you try to make a panorama with a camera with a telephoto lens.

if they could see the one that was suppose to pass by us........You cant tell me that NONE of the programs around the world saw this potentially City Ending , millions of potential lives lost, death from above, rock flying through space, ....

I can tell you, but you will ignore it.

If you have been following this type of news you know that it has happened several times that smaller, not city ending, asteroids have been spoted after they have passed by Earth. In those cases there was no need to for them to tell the public that they hadn't seen it during the approach.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The Government is not some all knowing all powerful organization in control of all

Nice one! Looking at 99.9% of all ATS threads I believe in my humble opinion that folks here give world government WAY to much credit! For everything! When someone claims that the gov. is building UFOs I laugh and cringe at the same time. We're JUST NOT THAT SMART YET. And neither is the "government"
Bravo. Stars for u ben. And thanks for the insightful opinion you have contributed to the thread.

edit on 19-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I cannot convince myself that the white light which appears out of nowhere and seems to impact the back end of the meteor is a reflection off the windscreen. Too much is happening when it makes contact. But then again, maybe I'm completely wrong and its nothing like others have already suggested..

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
So........now that we know NASA's best advice, do you think, if they knew about something large a couple or a few years out they would tell us about it?

A couple of years is enough for any orbiting object to have something change its orbit enough for it to miss us.

Or say, if it was very large and couldn't be diverted, but would still affect earth, would they make plans to save themselves and other elites with the justification that not everyone could be saved, the best and brightest minds have the best hope of rebuilding society, and if the masses were to know there would be in short order panic, riots, chaos and anarchy?

It's possible.

So what would this secret planning look like? A bunch of laws such as confiscation of goods, property etc; takeover of communications, and martial law at the drop of a hat?

No, unless those goods and property were food. Takeover of communications? Useless. Martial law? For what, dead bodies?

Many secret internment camps across America?

Once more, for dead bodies?

A huge underground bunker at one of the highest points in the US?

Not very likely, a deep underground bunker would probably be safer (unless it was a direct hit
).

Many agencies moving close to this bunker?

Close is useless in a case like this.

Militarization of domestic security agencies to meet some unknown opponent?

Useless

Glad we're not seeing any of that!

If we are then I don't think it's because of a meteor.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I cannot convince myself that the white light which appears out of nowhere and seems to impact the back end of the meteor is a reflection off the windscreen.

Then I guess you haven't spend enough time washing windows.

Too much is happening when it makes contact. But then again, maybe I'm completely wrong and its nothing like others have already suggested..

Nothing is happening, the meteor keeps the trajectory, the size and the shape.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

It could be lens flare. I know it is bandied around an awful lot, but that's because for the majority of the time it is exactly that.

It would be good to think that they have meteor busting weapons, because we would all be safe then I guess. However, don't be too dissapointed if they don't!!

There were quite a number of videos taken that day because of Russian's obsession with dash board cameras. Can you find anymore with similar white lights intercepting it? Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

How about this one?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I looked at your previous video and couldn't really see what you could, but on the second one, there certainly appears to be something come in from behind just before it explodes. Interesting!!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

I looked at your previous video and couldn't really see what you could, but on the second one, there certainly appears to be something come in from behind just before it explodes. Interesting!!

I was thinking maybe the first one was hard to pick up because that aint a windscreen flare lol

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

nono I get all that.......and to BENRL up there......dont talk down to me......im not as stupid as you seem to think I am..

I know about the vastness of space and how they have to watch and how where they look is barely a speck in the cosmic nights sky.........

However.........

You would rather have me believe that they didnt know anything about this rock.........

But can somehow tell me AFTERWARDS what this thing was made of, how big it was, and how much damage it would have done if it hadnt broken apart.........

Ok........well considering that the thing blew apart where did they get all their information?

How do they know it would have caused that devastation.........because the size of that thing HAD to have been bigger before entering out atmosphere and shattering......

Again......I know that you can do trajectory etc etc etc..........but I dont buy it..........

The only reason IMHO that they have that information is because they knew about it.........

And no I know for a fact that the gov isnt some all knowing all seeing entity.........I did use to work for them

edit on 19-3-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I'm no expert, but it doesn't appear to be a windscreen flare. That is certainly a strange occurence, it certainly wasn't part of the meteor either.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Whats bothersome is that nobody was warned about the one in Russia.........

They say that it would have exploded with the force of 20 hiroshima bombs.......but they didnt see fit to let anyone know that it was possible this thing would land intact?

You cant tell me they didnt know about it, something with that much potential destructive power.......

For anyone that thinks that we would be warned.............I think what happened in Russia answers the question.....

They didn't see it coming. We haven't placed any importance on asteroid detection as a species so we are half blind and pretty much unprepared and defenceless.

It not conspiracy its negligence. At this point if we get extinct you have to say we deserve it.

If it was known about there would have been warnings seeing as most of the detection that does happen is left to amateurs.
edit on 19-3-2013 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I don't think it's because of a meteor either, but I'm not ruling out other celestial bodies.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Panspermia; Meteor strike giving birth to new life.
Doesn't a meteor look a bit like a tadpole/sperm racing towards the placenta? Or is it just me?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

How about this one?

That's another version of the same video, only with worse image quality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join