It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's advice for near-term meteor strike: "Pray"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

At a House Committee hearing Tuesday, NASA administrator Charles Bolden Jr. was asked what America would do if a meteor similar to the one that hit in Russia on Feb. 15 was found to be on a path toward New York City, with impact three weeks away. His response? "Pray."

"In Russia, if that asteroid had held intact for a few more seconds, it would have hit the ground with the force of 20 Hiroshima bombs,"

www.cbsnews.com...

=========================

Pray or evacuate, if you had the time and some warning. If that comet (C/2013 A1) hits mars then we may see some major debris heading for us.

edit on 19-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
can anyone with superior knowledge to me tell me any particular reason it didn't hit the ground intact- size, speed?
edit on 19-3-2013 by Credenceskynyrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
that's why I laugh at the "isn't the universe/nature *delete as appropriate* wonderful" crowd- no it isn't, and if the physical is all there is, then it is just a brutal place where survival is a struggle with no redeeming features

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd
can anyone with superior knowledge to me tell me any particular reason it didn't hit the ground intact- size, speed

I don't have superior knowledge, but it's because of the atmosphere.

The atmosphere creates friction, which causes the meteor to heat up and break apart. Smaller parts will burn up completely, leaving only larger chunks to impact.

If it wasn't for the atmos, the Earth would be covered in craters like the moon.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

can anyone with superior knowledge to me tell me any particular reason it didn't hit the ground intact- size, speed?

You need to get a close up of the video because me thinks something was giving us a warning or showing us that things could be a lot worse
Something hit that meteor and I don't know what it is

edit on 19-3-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Credenceskynyrd

I was taught the same thing in school. Space is, in a word, a violent arena at best.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

wow, had not seen that before

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You know,this has been bugging me for awhile.

Would they tell us if there was an earth impactor heading our way.
Would they cover-up any evidence for one on the internet and how one could find out through other sources.

There has been this person posting on several different sites about one in particular that continually gets banned.

And I thought,what if?

But then,if there was nothing that could be done about it,would you want to know?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What happened in Russia should of given humanity a big dose of humility.

On a cosmic scale we are ants on our little ant hill, what does an ant colony do against a forest fire.

Apparently the same thing we do when a meteor could hit us.

link   
Well at least his answer was honest. And not giving some bs answer saying "oh no that wont happen anytime soon".

Whens that comet or asteroid suppose to hit Mars?

link   

reply to post by DarknStormy

wow, had not seen that before

Think about what happened and what could of happened.. Its scary thats for sure.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I can't claim to have superior knowledge either, but it was a rocky meteor, rather than an iron meteor. Probably, if the Russian meteor was iron, it would have survived to impact the ground.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
You know,this has been bugging me for awhile.

Would they tell us if there was an earth impactor heading our way.
Would they cover-up any evidence for one on the internet and how one could find out through other sources.

There has been this person posting on several different sites about one in particular that continually gets banned.

And I thought,what if?

But then,if there was nothing that could be done about it,would you want to know?

I'm beginning to think that NASA has as much a clue as whether we're gonna get hit as much as Timmy the gas station attendant down the street from me does. Just sayin..

edit on 19-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Look how sleek and nice any of our supersonic jets look, they look that way to cut down on atmospheric friction.

The air has a density that any object moving through it has to contend with, in aerospace its dealt with by one of two ways, material strength and aerodynamics.

Those two things combine to allow an object to travel through our atmosphere at amazing speed, with out one of those two things you get what happened to the meteor.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Can you explain to me what happens in the video I posted because what ever that white light is comin from behind certainly impacts that meteor.. That is some starwars crap right there.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by benrl

Can you explain to me what happens in the video I posted because what ever that white light is comin from behind certainly impacts that meteor.. That is some starwars crap right there.

Could of been a smaller denser piece (hence traveling faster) either from the original meteor or one that was traveling with it colliding with it once it entered the air and friction slowed the larger object down causing the smaller rock to slam into it.

you know that or aliens...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A nice little article of what we could do if giving the time.

larouchepac.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Whats bothersome is that nobody was warned about the one in Russia.........

They say that it would have exploded with the force of 20 hiroshima bombs.......but they didnt see fit to let anyone know that it was possible this thing would land intact?

You cant tell me they didnt know about it, something with that much potential destructive power.......

For anyone that thinks that we would be warned.............I think what happened in Russia answers the question.....

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Whats bothersome is that nobody was warned about the one in Russia.........

They say that it would have exploded with the force of 20 hiroshima bombs.......but they didnt see fit to let anyone know that it was possible this thing would land intact?

You cant tell me they didnt know about it, something with that much potential destructive power.......

For anyone that thinks that we would be warned.............I think what happened in Russia answers the question.....

Really, you think the Gov is that on top of things? The NASA budget for sky-watching is ridiculous you could probably by one predator drone with the money nasa spends watching the sky.

The question is not why they didn't warn anyone, the question is why no one knew, and that should scare everyone.

We are to damned concerned with holding on to the American empire than protecting the species as a whole.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yeah I do think they knew........and its not just America that is watching for these things......there are other countries out there with programs like this as well......

So really there was no excuse........

if they could see the one that was suppose to pass by us........You cant tell me that NONE of the programs around the world saw this potentially City Ending , millions of potential lives lost, death from above, rock flying through space, ....

I just dont buy it
edit on 19-3-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join