It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few tips for living outside, or "on the run"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I've been digging lately, becoming more and more paranoid due to the things I've been hearing circulating on ATS and other alternative news sources. Don't get me wrong, I take everything with a grain of salt, but if the worst happens; its best to have knowledge and never need it than to need it and never have it.

So, little bits and pieces of knowledge that would help you living outside;

What if you were out in the wild, and you couldn't manage to kill any game? You might wanna eat plants.

So you’re stranded in the wilderness. You consumed the last nub of your Clif Bar two days ago, and now you’re feeling famished. Civilization is still several days away, and you need to keep up your strength. The greenery all around you is looking more and more appetizing. But what to nibble on? Some plants will keep you alive and are chock full of essential vitamins and minerals, while some could make you violently ill….or even kill you.

Which of course makes proper identification absolutely critical.

This site provides a list of certain plants or plant traits that are safe to eat, and others that are toxic.

--->19 Plants You Can EatEdible Bugs

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Very good and thank you.

I loved the part where they show you how to find water.

Also, they have a very good Survival Skills Quiz. I recommend it. It's 20 questions long but i find it fun.

Survival Quiz

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I can't stress enough the importance of alternative food sources, unfortunately, most everyone i talk to looks at me as tho i have a tree branch growing out of my forehead when i tell them of the food that they poison/pull out of their lawns.

This site has a plethora of information of wild edibles widely available.

Food not lawns is another good site.

Replace most of your grass with "weeds" and supplement your diet until that day we have to leave the cities.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankLY

17 out of 20...not bad...they should take out some non-essential ones though...like what is the most popular edible insect? Who cares? Why good will that trivia do? It's good enough to know you can eat them.

Keep in mind (OP), that you won't likely have access to online info in a SHTF scenario. Even your smartphone, that kids today are so hung up on, is likely to become a paperweight. So, a good idea to have that info in a printed format.

You're young though, plenty of time (most likely) to prepare when you're older. I know it sounds strange, but man, don't get caught up in the whole prepper thing before you actually live your life and enjoy life and your youth. And if you don't have the means to prep...well, make friends with someone who IS! I have a few younger folks that have done just that. Sure, it's kind of jokingly, but they do know, realistically, that if a SHTF event happened, they could come here and join us, and we'd get through it all together.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Very good and thank you. I loved the part where they show you how to find water.

Also, they have a very good Survival Skills Quiz.

I recommend it. It's 20 questions long but i find it fun.

Survival Quiz

I didn't know there was a quiz...
Ima look into that... after I finally get some sleep.

I can't stress enough the importance of alternative food sources, unfortunately, most everyone i talk to looks at me as tho i have a tree branch growing out of my forehead when i tell them of the food that they poison/pull out of their lawns.

This site has a plethora of information of wild edibles widely available.

Food not lawns is another good site.

Replace most of your grass with "weeds" and supplement your diet until that day we have to leave the cities.

I understand... I have a lot of kids in my family. A little brother, sister, and about fifty little cousins. I try to teach them stuff, maybe see how willing they'd be to eat a worm or something... so far, no luck.

That's pretty cool info, though. Little bits of knowledge can make all the difference later on.

Keep in mind (OP), that you won't likely have access to online info in a SHTF scenario. Even your smartphone, that kids today are so hung up on, is likely to become a paperweight. So, a good idea to have that info in a printed format.

Yeah, but I have a pretty photographic memory, and I'm only really teaching myself (when I try to get my friends or the kids in my family in on it, they rarely care what I have to say, so why bother teaching them?). I ant to study it like school work... study it until I know it second nature. Like driving.

Still, it'd probrably be a good idea to print it as a back up. I have a huge portfolio of conspiracy theories & survival stuff I printed out at my school, but it's currently collecting dust in a storage unit.

You're young though, plenty of time (most likely) to prepare when you're older. I know it sounds strange, but man, don't get caught up in the whole prepper thing before you actually live your life and enjoy life and your youth. And if you don't have the means to prep...well, make friends with someone who IS! I have a few younger folks that have done just that. Sure, it's kind of jokingly, but they do know, realistically, that if a SHTF event happened, they could come here and join us, and we'd get through it all together.

I've thought about that. I've thought, what if nothing happens? I waste my life prepping so nothing can happen... but, better safe than sorry. Besides that, I don't prep compulsively. I do it as a hobby. Besides, I have virtually no budget right now, and my fiance is busting his arse to set things up for both of us.

He's alternative, like me, but he's old school. He wants to do the work while I stay home. I'm fine with that, but I don't want to sit in the house and do nothing but consume and gain weight... I wanna DO something.

So, I prep.

edit on 19-3-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

You should search here for some of the threads on prepping with a budget. I recall seeing some good ones. Love it or loathe it, I got my BOB backpack at WalMart for less than $20, and it is probably one of the most comfortable backpacks I've ever used...and durable, tons of pockets, etc. I do a little at a time, and make sure I take time to enjoy life as well.

Is your fiance' on board with it too? That helps. Took a while, but some recent hardships made my wife see the wisdom of prepping. Sucked to go through it, but nice now to have her buy in (and suggestions) for prepping (and easier to approve big ticket prep ideas). It also helps that I ALWAYS try to come up with a practical NOW application for a prep proposal.

Example, I will need about 20 4" diameter, 8' long wooden posts (4' of this is in the ground), to put in, in front of our fence, to prevent someone driving through it. These posts are about $5 each, so $100 total. Not real pricey, but still, it's a hundred bucks. While a security measure, I explain that the $100 investment keeps someone from accidentally swerving off the road (with all the accidents we've seen lately) and then costing us much more in chainlink fence repair. Much easier sell than, "to keep bandits from driving through our fence in a zombie apocalypse".....

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I can use those posts to good effect stringing up some barbed wire, etc.

edit on 20-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
since most of us live in towns and cities, using what's available in these places will be just as important of grabbing a bugout bag and heading out into the wilderness (unfamiliar to most). survival in cities will be more important to us that are...well...my age of 60....."wilderness" to older people can be a quick death sentence. at this age, alot of us are extremely aware of our limitations.
edit on 20-3-2013 by jimmyx because: syntax

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

It's a good point, but the hazards of the city will all depend on what SHTF scenario takes place. Either way, you're going to find some unique challenges, but also unique opportunities.

Challenges:

1. Gangs will rule the streets.
2. Without power, cities would be difficult to navigate at night, with many road and street hazards.
3. After most food spoils, little other sources.

Opportunities:

1. Water sources (toilets, tanks for businesses, etc.)
2. Can band together in an apartment building or condo
3. Rooftop gardening.
4. Lots of looting targets for supplies.

Edit: My BOB is NOT for heading out in the wilderness. It's simply to get me home. I commute an hour to work each day, and an hour home. If the SHTF while I'm at work, and the roads are jammed, I may need to make that trek on foot (which would take a few days). The BOB is to sustain me, and keep me fairly comfortable (and armed and prepared) for that little journey. I have no intention of living in the woods.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

You should search here for some of the threads on prepping with a budget. I recall seeing some good ones. Love it or loathe it, I got my BOB backpack at WalMart for less than $20, and it is probably one of the most comfortable backpacks I've ever used...and durable, tons of pockets, etc. I do a little at a time, and make sure I take time to enjoy life as well.

Is your fiance' on board with it too? That helps. Took a while, but some recent hardships made my wife see the wisdom of prepping. Sucked to go through it, but nice now to have her buy in (and suggestions) for prepping (and easier to approve big ticket prep ideas). It also helps that I ALWAYS try to come up with a practical NOW application for a prep proposal.

Example, I will need about 20 4" diameter, 8' long wooden posts (4' of this is in the ground), to put in, in front of our fence, to prevent someone driving through it. These posts are about $5 each, so $100 total. Not real pricey, but still, it's a hundred bucks. While a security measure, I explain that the $100 investment keeps someone from accidentally swerving off the road (with all the accidents we've seen lately) and then costing us much more in chainlink fence repair. Much easier sell than, "to keep bandits from driving through our fence in a zombie apocalypse".....

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I can use those posts to good effect stringing up some barbed wire, etc.

I got all my bugout stuff from walmart too, except the backpack. Backpack came from a thrift store.

I first started prepping in my junior year of high school. I bought ramen, canned veggies, and water, and stored them all in my closet each time I had some money until I had a respectable collection... now, because of stupid living situations, they're currently sitting in storage too.

Hopefully the mice won't get to it.

I agree with ya 100%. Budjet prepping is always on my mind... that's why I like to have bits and pieces of survivalist knowledge.

If we run out of money and preps, we go outside and eat the lawn.

edit on 20-3-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FrankLY

I only got 14 right. Damn.

AND ONCE AGAIN MY SCHOOL IS BLOCKING THE WEBSITE ABOUT EDIBLE PLANTS AND BUGS!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'm in the same boat as far as my daily commute goes. Keep a good pair of hiking footwear with your BOB and consider a cheap & collapsible means of transportation in the trunk. I don't have collapsible bicycle but did throw my kids old razor scooter in the back once he outgrew using it - figure it'll cut my travel time in half...if I stick to the roads.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I've certainly been considering one of those folding bikes (expensive though, if I never need it). I don't keep any other shoes in the BOB (too much room), but I do keep them in my truck), along with a set of camo fatigues. My BOB is green. I figure, if I have to make a trek on foot home, I'm probably not going to want to be seen either (or at least have the ability to hide quick).

For expensive prepper items, I have a rule where I kind of have to get some use out of it when NOT in a SHTF situation also, to justify the expense.

Hopefully the mice won't get to it.

Mice love ramen...if they are there, your ramen are gone.

I got all my bugout stuff from walmart too,

Well, there are some things you can't skimp on though. A good knife is one. A good multi-tool is another.
Cheap ones will break, and then be worthless. Knowing what you can get cheap is just as important.

I got the actual backpack there, and some regular camping supplies, first aid stuff, etc. there, but I had to look elsewhere for a military canteen with cup, water filtration straw, knife, multi-tool, and other items. One really cool item I got is a crank radio/flashlight/cell phone charger (USB port, so you can just use your charger cord). I'm a big fan of multiple uses for an item, as it takes up less room in the bag. I think it was like $30 from Emergency Essentials.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Don't get paranoid OP. Make it into a prepping game. All sorts of things can happen but that doesn't mean it will. Being prepared for survival if things go sour is good, being paranoid is not good. If we make life a challenge it gets interesting. A good prepper does not tell others around him much of his prepping, they keep it to themselves and warn others once in a while to prepare for bad events. On here, I try to tell others to prepare themselves for hard times, it costs little if done over a long period of time. There is a secure feeling knowing that you can make it through bad times, even if the bad times are just your own.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Try to make the stuff in your BOB ( copies of ) stuff you use alot everyday so that you are in shape and proficient.

for instance:
Where I am I have to use my 24 speed mountain Bike everyday in season because I live at the end of a goat path in the bush on the water ...
I have a box of parts to replace the ones that break or wear under use because I know whats going to happen under use.

my best Knife?
I use the same bowie in the kitchen every day as the one in my bag

PS
I buy chefs knives that are retired due to the edging machine starting to bite into the handle
They get one last grind then: $5.00 CAD at the hardware store - and they rock
edit on 21-3-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

and look at where TSHTF already so you can see what is ( Argentina for example, or depression era Amerika, or WW2 russia, or indonesia where the tidal wave hit, or fukushima, etc )
edit on 21-3-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Don't forget to get a guide to medicinal plants. Peterson Field Guides are good.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
having the information is great, but make sure that you download it and PRINT IT OUT...if electronic break, fail, get broken..you need a hard copy as a backup!!
I have even gone as far as to make myself cheat sheets ...I shrink the info down and still have it readable...so you can put it in a mid sized binder that fits in a cargo pocket...and laminated..so it doesn't get ruined from water or wear...just my .02 cents there.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AbandonedKid

very interesting

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AbandonedKid
reply to post by FrankLY

I only got 14 right. Damn.

AND ONCE AGAIN MY SCHOOL IS BLOCKING THE WEBSITE ABOUT EDIBLE PLANTS AND BUGS!!!
very interesting

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Also, if it's rooking season, go to the bottom of the tree and hit it with a stick really hard a few times..the young rooks jump out the nest through fear and fall to the ground...Rook for tea anyone...this was part of my childhood....had more pet rooks than i care to mention..

EDIT: Maybe that's what Bigfoot is doing now that i come to think about it...

edit on 23-3-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

top topics

join