It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$2.7M Federal Study: Why Do Lesbians Have Higher 'Risk for Hazardous Drinking'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well, my thread last week about the $1.5 M government grant to study why 75% of U.S. lesbians are obese was closed (with no specifics other than it wasn't an appropriate topic for discussion on ATS).

My take on that study was that during this time of cutbacks, economic crisis and closed WH tours, WHY was our government continuing to spend taxpayer money on such frivolous studies (IMO)?

Now, we have another such taxpayer- funded study...(and I hope the moderators will see that by pointing out this latest example of wasteful government spending, that I am, in no way, attempting to impugn the homosexual community, or even alcoholics (after all, both groups are taxpayers as well, and deserve to see their hard-earned money spent responsibly by their government.

AGAIN, I am ONLY criticizing THIS government's continuing course of wasteful spending of taxpayer dollars during these tough economic times. I believe this is a topic definitely worth discussing on ATS...now, more than ever.

$2.7M Federal Study: Why Do Lesbians Have Higher 'Risk for Hazardous Drinking'?

(CNSNews.com) - The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded $2.7 million to study why lesbians are at a higher “risk for hazardous drinking.” The University of Illinois has received grants since 2009 for its project, "Cumulative Stress and Hazardous Drinking in a Community of Adult Lesbians," which aims to develop “culturally sensitive” strategies to prevent lesbians from being drunks. “Studies using both probability and nonprobability samples provide ample evidence of lesbians' vulnerability to hazardous drinking,” the grant’s description reads. “However, very little is known about the factors that increase lesbians' risk for hazardous drinking.”

cnsnews.com...
edit on 19-3-2013 by IAMTAT because: spelling

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

First of all, I think I cool get to the bottom of this study for a cool million $. On the other hand what is really going on with the gov't. It's like to whole thing is set up to drive you crazy.

What a joke, but I am sure there are even more ridiculous studies out there...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
...and a few more bricks of cash are thrown into the raging fires of "this feels good! lets fund it!

It isn't even worth mentioning that this is so far outside the scope of Federal Government in the first place, it's another planet they're starting from.........and 17 trillion in debt keeps building. A couple million at a time.
edit on 19-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

They could have saved some money. For a cool million I would have told them that out of all of my friends those that are lesbians are more prone to drinking regularly than those that are heterosexual. I could also tell them that among my friends those that are gay men tend to drink less regularly than those that are heterosexual. They could have gotten a 2 for 1 deal on the cheap!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Where is common sense anymore...especially NOW...and with THIS administration?
Why must this administration continue to spend our money like there's no tomorrow? $2.7 Million???...on THIS? Really?
Doesn't Obama realize how many golf trips he could take with that money?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Now I understand the superior leadership of Obama in closing the White House to tours and the release of criminal illegal immigrants during the sequester!!

It was to ensure the continued funding of these enormously beneficial studies!! I mean think of all the medical advances and innovation that will come not only from this study, but others just like it.

Bravo Mr. Obama.. bravo indeed sir!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
i'm not so worried with the amount of money mentioned but more on what they deem important enough to spend that type of money on is just plane nuts, i guess the u.s. has more money than they know what to do with.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Apparently, an Aussie study from last year has already dealt with this question. Do we really need to spend another $3,000,000.00 on this?

WASHINGTON (CBS DC) – A recent study finds that lesbian women are prone to alcoholism, and suggests that gay women can stop symptoms of depression by having children of their own.

The University of Melbourne studied the correlation between excessive drinking, recreational drug use and mental health among lesbians over the age of eighteen. Professor Ruth McNair found lesbian, bisexual and transgender women are nearly two to three times more likely to experience depression and anxiety, Australian News reports.

“On average the gap between realizing your sexuality and coming out to friends and family is between five and seven years,” McNair told Australian News. “How members of this community are treated by their families during this time has a big impact on their wellbeing through life.”

These years, writes McNair, are a “high risk” time period that are often not managed properly and can lead to serious mental health problems that bring on alcohol binges for many. She said: “This is a very vulnerable time and can create huge problems, with many in this community feeling lost as a result of their treatment.”

A recent UK study finds that gay and bisexual men are more likely to smoke, drink, take drugs, self-harm, attempt suicide and be depressed – and they’re often overlooked by health services. It found 3 percent of gay men and 5 percent of bisexual men have attempted suicide in 2011. This is in contrast to to just 0.4 percent of men as a whole. McNair said if women have children, then they are less likely to fall into depression, and childbearing “builds a woman’s resilience.”

washington.cbslocal.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by speedgod
i'm not so worried with the amount of money mentioned but more on what they deem important enough to spend that type of money on is just plane nuts, i guess the u.s. has more money than they know what to do with.

Yep. The US has oodles of money. To hell with paying off that 16 (soon to be 17) trillion... lets find out why lesbians enjoy getting drunk more than straight women do! The results will be so very useful

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by speedgod

Your point is a good one.
One has to wonder at WHY this administration is so fixated with throwing so much tax money towards studies involving issues such as depression, alcoholism and obesity... and how they specifically affect lesbians.

Wouldn't one think that gay rights groups should object to being singled out and connected to such negative issues by the Obama administration?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Why the govt. obsession with lesbians and all things LGBT/whatever? Just more ways to waste taxpayer money. We can pay for things like this but can't afford an Easter Bunny for the White House egg roll. Glad some A List singers have "volunteered" to perform for Michelle's birthday to save some money for the taxpayers.

I'll tell you why they have a higher risk for hazardous drinking..... Issues....

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT
Where is common sense anymore...especially NOW...and with THIS administration?
Why must this administration continue to spend our money like there's no tomorrow? $2.7 Million???...on THIS? Really?
Doesn't Obama realize how many golf trips he could take with that money?

He will take them anyways.....

He don't care how much this crap or that crap costs......He won't be denied his golf trips!!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Why the govt. obsession with lesbians and all things LGBT/whatever? Just more ways to waste taxpayer money. We can pay for things like this but can't afford an Easter Bunny for the White House egg roll. Glad some A List singers have "volunteered" to perform for Michelle's birthday to save some money for the taxpayers.

I'll tell you why they have a higher risk for hazardous drinking..... Issues....

It sounds like a bad joke waiting to happen: 634 alcoholic lesbians walk into a bar for a research study... and find out the study group is co-sponsored by a beer market research group. It's very close to that; they may be looking for ways to make literature and media to dissuade lesbians from drinking.

This is going to get so many reverse stupid reflections from people. Well, she's fat and she's got a drinking problem...she must be a lesbian according to studies.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Why Do Lesbians Have Higher 'Risk for Hazardous Drinking'?

I'll save them the money...

Because, with enough drink, MOST women can go lesbian....

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Holy hell. Since when does Mr. Obama approve any grants? I thought he was a president, not a NIH official.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Holy hell. Since when does Mr. Obama approve any grants? I thought he was a president, not a NIH official.

Didn't say he did approve them, I was marvelling his superior leadership during the sequester!!

new topics

top topics

join