It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under threat, South Koreans mull nuclear weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted as the search didn't yield any results. This was bound to happen at some point. I wonder if the entire NOKO (North Korea) crisis was allowed to simmer on the back burner so the south can propose their own nuclear ambitions and thus keep the Chinese influence in check in the SE region? China, India, Pakistan, North Korea and now with possibly South Korea pondering the idea of joining the nuclear club, it would be a very politically volatile region or possibly the territorial disputes may resolve itself in the region?

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- The barrage of threats from North Korea has sparked talk from within South Korea of the need to develop its own nuclear weapons.

A recent poll shows that two-thirds of South Korean citizens surveyed support the idea, especially in the wake of North Korea's third nuclear test in February.

"We, the Korean people, have been duped by North Korea for the last 20 to 30 years and it is now time for South Koreans to face the reality and do something that we need to do," said Chung Mong-joon, a lawmaker in the governing Saenuri (New Frontier) Party and a former presidential conservative candiate. "The nuclear deterrence can be the only answer. We have to have nuclear capability."

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So if they pursue nuclear weapons, are there going to be sanctions against them? They are a signatory of the NPT. This is interesting.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
So if they pursue nuclear weapons, are there going to be sanctions against them? They are a signatory of the NPT. This is interesting.
Indeed it is interesting. I guess if NOKO can break the rules, so can SOKO. Regarding sanctions, not sure how much it would affect their economy which is much different than NOKO.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Indeed it is interesting. I guess if NOKO can break the rules, so can SOKO. Regarding sanctions, not sure how much it would affect their economy which is much different than NOKO.

I wonder how the US-SOKO relations would suffer if SOKO dropped out of the NPT and started developing nuclear weapons. I bet China and NOKO would like it if the US left that area. How could they stay there and help SOKO while chastising the rest of the world (Iran, NOKO)?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

I wonder how the US-SOKO relations would suffer if SOKO dropped out of the NPT and started developing nuclear weapons. I bet China and NOKO would like it if the US left that area. How could they stay there and help SOKO while chastising the rest of the world (Iran, NOKO)?
Well they would help SOKO the same way the Chinese (possibly private firms) been helping NOKO. Did you see another thread that I posted about Japan Intercepting shipping vessel? ATS_LINK

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Oh brilliant. So South Korea would join the batcrap crazy thinking of their Northern Neighbors. Wonderful.

Folks need to look at North and South Korea with google earth and the distance tool to get a true feel for HOW VERY SMALL they both are, combined, let alone attacking each other with something as wide area as nuclear weapons. Good God, they've ALL gone mad.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This raises many questions for me.

The USA has a base in SK and it would seem logical there could be nuclear weapons there already.
Please tell me if I am wrong in thinking this.

Would SK develope nuclear weapons with the blessing of the USA?

If SK does begin developent of nuclear weapons then would that put our military personal at risk?

I am confused about this matter.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If Sth Korea want nukes, they will get them. Only countries who don't polish the shoes of the West aren't allowed in the nuclear club.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't think they'll need to develop their own if there is any truth to this story...

US to protect S. Korea with Nukes

This whole situation is getting out of hand

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If this happens then I am afraid most of us wont live to see our pensions. We will ALL be dead because the more nations that have nukes the more likely one is going to be used. There is NO justification for this IMHO. South Korea would lose the moral high ground over this. They would be as bad as North Korea. I do hope cooler heads prevail.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Ask Dennis Rodman.

www.thesun.co.uk...

lol, the sun right?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I'm still puzzled as per why Dennis Rodman was in NK
Was it a personal invitation or a special envoy sent by POTUS?

new topics

top topics

join