It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cig Conspiracy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
A friend just posted this article on my facebook page. His opinion when I first started posting about my e-cig, was "No substitute, Just Quit." .... which I understand is the best way of course, but is not always a realistic view if one understands the nature of addiction - some can go cold turkey, others cant - Not everyone is the same. Is that a weakness? Maybe. It's easy to put ones self on a pedestal to judge another.

Electronic Cigarettes Contain Higher Levels of Toxic Metal Nanopartices Than Tobacco Smoke

The article does mention "diethylene glycol" and is again misleading about this find - diethylene glycol is only in a small amount of food flavourings. Food flavouring manufactuers who do not cater to the e-cig industry but are used anyway (ie. Lorann), will not tell you if the flavour contains diethylene glycol.

However flavour manufacturers that cater to e-cig customers (Flavour Art or The Flavour Apprentice, for example) will usually tell you if diethylene glycol is present in the specific flavour (usually creams and vanillas). These companies often also go out of their way to look for healthier substitutes when something is discovered to have even minor risks, because that's the whole point of e-cigs. Sellers most often vape themselves.

The article also mentions the presence of tobacco-specific nitrosamines without mentioning that they were in negilible amounts. As such, the progandistic elements of the article make me weary about the true finding of this study - which may well be as stated, but until it is further looked into, it is hard to say the full weight.

Comment on the study from others here would be much appreciated.

edit on 27/3/2013 by MsVen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Okay Ive had a closer look at the study I posted above.

The study is about "cartomizers" - these combine the atomiser and cartridge. By the looks of the picture and description in the study, these are the disposable e-cigs?? I think most every vaper will tell you never to bother with these products.

My 510-T is a separate tank and atomiser, with no cotton insert - tho there are some e-cigs which also have a cotton insert in the tank - but its still separate from the atomiser. You would think a good brand e-cig should not have the issues discussed in this study, but I guess without further testing on better quality products, we cannot say for certain.

PLOS ONE: Metal and Silicate Particles Including Nanoparticles Are Present in Electronic Cigarette Cartomizer Fluid and Aerosol

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Personally, until more relevance is confirmed in that study, I shall continue to use my e-cig rather than return to a pack of cigarettes a day.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsVen
Personally, until more relevance is confirmed in that study, I shall continue to use my e-cig rather than return to a pack of cigarettes a day.
This is an before and after X-ray of an ex smoker who had been vaping for 5 years NOT A SINGLE bit of Lung Damage from the Vaping!!!

edit on 3/27/2013 by DjembeJedi because: found more info..
only noticeable lung improvement!!!
edit on 3/27/2013 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DjembeJedi

That's awesome Djembe! Much appreciated ... I'll share the vid with my FB friend.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsVen
reply to post by DjembeJedi

That's awesome Djembe! Much appreciated ... I'll share the vid with my FB friend.

GREAT! I really mean it when I say that this Tech. the e-cig or Vaporizer..Is a Life changing tool for me..and I believe ANY one who switches from analogs to vaping..I am ever so excited to help anyone I can transition into Vaping! Cheers.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I had to post here finally and say that I took the vape plunge a week ago after reading the other linked thread. I bought an ego-V v2 mega and a t3 clearolator. I bought some nice juices and am very pleased with the equipment I got for very cheap, even got some free stuff too. I am down to just 1 or 2 cigs a day from a all time high of like 20 a day just a week ago. it is really amazing and so much better than a cheap e cigarette. Those things were just not enough vape or not satisfying at all. My lungs already feel so much better, have cleared up in just those few days. Thanks to everyone who gave their input especially about the ego line, and those links that got me started. someone posted a link to pbasardo youtube videos, and those were great. smoking was a bad habit but vaping is like an honest fun hobby.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

to extend your supply of oil you can add vegetable oil, effectively doubling whatever you have and it won't clog the atomizer too much.

No, no, no, no, no---absolutely no, don't use vegetable oil or oil of any kind in an atomizer. Bad for your atomizer but horrible for your lungs.

Unless you're talking about vegetable glycerin--then yes, use that.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101
I had to post here finally and say that I took the vape plunge a week ago after reading the other linked thread. I bought an ego-V v2 mega and a t3 clearolator. I bought some nice juices and am very pleased with the equipment I got for very cheap, even got some free stuff too. I am down to just 1 or 2 cigs a day from a all time high of like 20 a day just a week ago. it is really amazing and so much better than a cheap e cigarette. Those things were just not enough vape or not satisfying at all. My lungs already feel so much better, have cleared up in just those few days. Thanks to everyone who gave their input especially about the ego line, and those links that got me started. someone posted a link to pbasardo youtube videos, and those were great. smoking was a bad habit but vaping is like an honest fun hobby.

FANTASTIC! another person "saved" by Vaping! Really happy this thread help you start to make the switch! Your lungs will continue to clear up and if you can leave analog ciggy's altogether you will regain the lungs of a "non"ish smoker on schedule with some one who quits cold turkey..PLUS as you mentioned its a really FUN hobby!
I LOVE it and will probably never walk away from Vaping..I'm working on getting a VAMO V2 Variable Voltage/Wattage APV unit next..

This Fella is a Fantastic resource as well for the Vaping community Mr. Nick GrimmGreen

edit on 4/2/2013 by DjembeJedi because: addition

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
meanwhile any smokers reading this should really take a close look at ecigs they work well and can save life's
this coming from a person that used to think he could never quit smoking and now can see a light at the end of the cigarette tunnel

You are 100% WRONG Canada takes care of it'spublic health and they are banned for GOOD reason.

WITH ALL MY LOVE IN SAYING THIS NEVER USE THE E CIG EVER NEVER EVER NEVER

Marijuana is much harsher on the lungs than cigarettes... YET, virtually no one gets Cancer from it.... WHY? Because it KILLS Lung Cells Cancerous and Non Cancerous alike... so the dirty polluted cells never get to survive now while the Cilia die for good Lung Cells will Regenerate from Stem Cells through your lifetime... Dead Damaged cells = NO Cancer... New Lung Cells

Cigarettes Damage the Cells... but do NOT Kill them giving them the chance to reproduce with abnormalities = Cancer

E CIG.... Straight Nicotine into damaged cells when trying to quit smoking Nicotine encourages what? Cell division

Now while smoking sure you have the same effect.... but the cells are a mess and often die off... The Mitochondria doesn't work so great from all the toxins... Nicotine wont cause rampant division....

Nicotine in damaged cells NOT being poisoned continually = Rampant cell division = Cancer

I personally know 5 people who used e-cigs to quit every one came down with lung cancer within a couple of years after...

Garbage... Evil Garbage... Do Not Want

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
With that said tho....

Cigs kill you too and you stink and your in terrible shape before you die where as at least with the e-cig you'll be "healthy" and feel better until the inevitable cancer sets in....

But your still going to die... long term the cancer rate will be higher for e-cigs than cigs despite better cardio lol

JUST QUIT

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
what are you basing this information on
i have seen no reports like this everyone you know who has tried these has died of cancer
do doctors know of this and what are there names
we dont need people spreading lies and disinfo

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by penninja

meanwhile any smokers reading this should really take a close look at ecigs they work well and can save life's
this coming from a person that used to think he could never quit smoking and now can see a light at the end of the cigarette tunnel

You are 100% WRONG Canada takes care of it'spublic health and they are banned for GOOD reason.

WITH ALL MY LOVE IN SAYING THIS NEVER USE THE E CIG EVER NEVER EVER NEVER

Marijuana is much harsher on the lungs than cigarettes... YET, virtually no one gets Cancer from it.... WHY? Because it KILLS Lung Cells Cancerous and Non Cancerous alike... so the dirty polluted cells never get to survive now while the Cilia die for good Lung Cells will Regenerate from Stem Cells through your lifetime... Dead Damaged cells = NO Cancer... New Lung Cells

Cigarettes Damage the Cells... but do NOT Kill them giving them the chance to reproduce with abnormalities = Cancer

E CIG.... Straight Nicotine into damaged cells when trying to quit smoking Nicotine encourages what? Cell division

Now while smoking sure you have the same effect.... but the cells are a mess and often die off... The Mitochondria doesn't work so great from all the toxins... Nicotine wont cause rampant division....

Nicotine in damaged cells NOT being poisoned continually = Rampant cell division = Cancer

I personally know 5 people who used e-cigs to quit every one came down with lung cancer within a couple of years after...

Garbage... Evil Garbage... Do Not Want

I did a 5 word search that gave WAY better info for anyone who may be concerned by the safety of e cigs..I C&P the info to save time.. What do you have to gain by TROLLING in the way you did on this thread ? This is from www.e-cigarettedirect.com...
Does nicotine cause cancer?

"Is nicotine a carcinogen? Does nicotine cause disease related to smoking?

The answer to both of these questions, NO. A carcinogen is a substance that is capable of causing cancer in humans. In a traditional cigarette, nicotine is not the cause of cancers. It is the other 4,000 chemicals which are KNOWN carcinogens and known to cause diseases such as: cancer, lung disease, heart disease, and many other disorders. So, it’s not the nicotine that bad for you, it’s the delivery system of the nicotine. A carcinogen is toxic to the body and causes dangerous changes to DNA, usually increasing the rate of cell division in the body. The increase of change from the cell division, also increase the chances for the structure of DNA to change. Sometimes, cell DNA can mutate to cause cancer, especially if the carcinogen in constantly present.

What does nicotine do to the body and brain of a smoker?

Once nicotine is inhaled, it only takes 7 seconds to hit the brain! That makes it one of the fastest acting drugs. Research has shown that nicotine increases the level of dopamine in the brain, similar to drugs like coc aine and heroin but to a much lesser degree. Dopamine is the reason for feeling relaxed and calm. Concentration and memory are increased. The effects of nicotine will only last 5 minutes to 1 hour. Nicotine wears off so quickly in the body that smokers have to continue to dose themselves frequently to maintain these effects.

Is nicotine lethal to me?

Again, nicotine is not a carcinogen. It offers an increase in dopamine levels and is not lethal when used correctly. The average cigarette has about 1 to 1.5 mg of nicotine. It would take over 50 mg of nicotine to be lethal and deadly to a human. When used correctly, nicotine is a very safe drug that can be used frequently.

Nicotine is often been compared to caffeine in coffee. Coffee addicts want coffee for the same buzz and increased brain activity as smokers.

Why should I quit smoking and how?

That’s an easy question. You should stop smoking because of the carcinogenic properties of cigarettes. You can still receive your nicotine, which is the sole reason smokers began smoking, but via a different delivery system and not the traditional way of cigarettes. There are many different delivery systems out on the market today. There’s the patch, the gum, pills, and the list goes on and on. The system of the patch fails many because it is a constant stream of nicotine into the body, very different from what smokers are used to. The only delivery system that is remotely close to smoking a traditional cigarette is an electronic cigarette. It offers all the good and none of the bad. An electronic cigarette or e-cig is simply a battery operated device that vaporizes a nicotine solution. They are very realistic and even have a cloud of water vapor when someone exhales which makes it look even more like a regular cigarette. An e-cigarette allows you to inhale your nicotine without all of the harmful carcinogens. So you can enjoy your nicotine and only your nicotine."
Cell division is NOT triggered by a Chemical such as Nicotine..
edit on 4/3/2013 by DjembeJedi because: grammer

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by penninja

Lots of people get lung cancer who have never smoked a day in their life. What is your brilliant advice for these people? Stop breathing? You're going to sit here and tell me that 100% of the people you personally knew who used an ecig got lung cancer as a direct cause of using the ecig? That's not only bull, it's ignorant and insulting to think people should believe you.

I suppose you have proof of this, right? Because if it's really true, it's important information. But I have yet to read, in the 2.5 years that I've been using and researching these devices, one single report or even an anecdotal story of even one person getting or believing they got lung cancer directly from vaping, so I'm going with ignorant bull from a rabid anti-smoking dog.

People smoke, and they know very well it's not good for them, like myself, for decades. E-cigarettes are not meant to be a completely 100% harm-free method to quit, they are meant to be a reduced-harm ALTERNATIVE. I don't understand the anti-nazis--they don't like a certain behavior, that's fine, don't do it, no one will ever force you to. But to lie and make up stuff to keep other people from doing something they enjoy and that may very well save their life just because you don't like it--well, it's selfish and evil.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

i sent a letter to my local politician i guess ill see what they write back

Love to see what you wrote !
Let us know if you receive a reply.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by trolley
it will probably die off and become a novelty item soon though

HA! Nope!
en.wikipedia.org...
"The earliest concept of an electronic cigarette can be traced to an idea by Herbert A. Gilbert,[1] who in 1963 patented a device described as "a smokeless non-tobacco cigarette" that involved "replacing burning tobacco and paper with heated, moist, flavored air." This device heated the nicotine solution and produced steam. In 1967, Gilbert was approached by several companies interested in manufacturing it, but it was never commercialized and disappeared from the public record after 1967.[2][3][4][5][6][7]

Hon Lik, a Chinese pharmacist, is widely credited[8][9][10] with the invention of the first generation electronic cigarette.[11] In 2000, he came up with the idea of using a piezoelectric ultrasound-emitting element to vaporize a pressurized jet of liquid containing nicotine diluted in a propylene glycol solution.[12] This design produces a smoke-like vapor that can be inhaled and provides a vehicle for nicotine delivery into the bloodstream via the lungs. He also proposed using propylene glycol to dilute nicotine and placing it in a disposable plastic cartridge which serves as a liquid reservoir and mouthpiece. These inventions are the basis of the present-day electronic cigarettes."
So the Novelty Has not worn off in 13 years..Looks as though it has only grown!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
i sent a letter to health Canada and there reply was posted earlier up in this thread
it sounded like they were going to send it up the ladder still haven't heard anything more yet

sent one to my political representative and haven't heard anything back yet not even a we received your letter reply

maybe i should just go above them and contact the provincial ombudsmen and complain about them all

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
i have a E-cig and i love it, that sucks how my fellow canadian neighbors are banned from having the nicotine juice

i was quite suprised how easily i was able to switch over to e cigs, i must admit the first day or two of starting it was pretty lame, its kinda strange to be 22 years old and feel healthier and my lungs dont hate me anymore

but one thing that i do not like about the juice is the propylene glycol i have read some less than thrilling things about it

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
you can get many combinations of fluid

100 % vg milder on throat , less people allergic, more vapor, less flavor, thicker
75% 25% vg pg
50% 50% vg pg probably best mix for most
25% 75% vg pg
100% pg harsher on throat ,more people allergic, carries flavor better ,thinner

try different flavors and combinations till you find the right one

good luck

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I've had a yo-yo cig affair going on, to the point where last month when I picked up an EGo Stardust PV/personal vape, after starting to smoke again after a cool spell (I love smoking in cold weather the most, don't smoke at ALL in summer heat) I went in for a pack, and noticed the Ego kit. I figured hey, why not, it's worth a shot since I'm in here for combustible nicotine anyway. I wasn't too pleased with the e-liquid (juice) that I bought with it (Magic Puff menthol & blueberry, both pretty harsh on my throat) However, while I was scrutinizing the flavor and googling the crap out of e-liquid brands, I stumbled across an e-cig forum (one of the largest) and ended up looking through their juice board section. Which lead me to one online vendor called ECBlend. I skipped a few pages to reply, but if it hasn't been mentioned, it's a good vendor to buy from in the US, since it's totally US made. You've got control of the nic content, from zero to I think 36 mg, and you can adjust the PG/VG ratio to better suit your throat or device. They also have a massive flavor range, you can even make custom blends (I get a customized menthol flavor) I'm only mentioning this because it's not imported or Chinese, very affordable, and completely customizable juice.

I also have a 777 e-cig for using in public. I can't say I'm really impressed with it, it's just an e-cig, but the disposable cartridges are easily reusable 3 or 4 times, so it's actually a money saver for me so far.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join