It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida student may have plotted dorm massacre before suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Here's another idiot that wanted to be on the front page of a newspaper... What is going on with people? Seriously it seems like everyday something like this is in the news.

Let this guy be an example to the rest of the crazy bastards... If you wanna get famous for killing innocent people, write it in a notebook and shoot yourself in the head.

Florida student may have plotted dorm massacre before suicide

A student at the University of Central Florida may have aborted his plan to massacre fellow students at his dorm and decided instead to kill himself, officials said Monday.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret

If you wanna get famous for killing innocent people, write it in a notebook and shoot yourself in the head.

Or, seek help.

Life is precious. I would have rather have seen the guy get the help he needed.

I am glad he didn't kill anyone else though. We don't need anymore tragedies. One more thing. WHY isn't the President addressing the public about this? I would bet the farm, if this man would have did what he planed to do, he would be all over this touting a "need" to ban weapons again. He should use this to respond to the growing mental health crisis that many students go through, as they try to get through life. He should use this to talk about the mental health aspect of mass shootings, NOT banning weapons. MHO.
edit on 18-3-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

If you wanna get famous for killing innocent people, write it in a notebook and shoot yourself in the head.

Or, seek help.

Life is precious. I would have rather have seen the guy get the help he needed.

I am glad he didn't kill anyone else though. We don't need anymore tragedies. One more thing. WHY isn't the President addressing the public about this? I would bet the farm, if this man would have did what he planed to do, he would be all over this touting a "need" to ban weapons again. He should use this to respond to the growing mental health crisis that many students go through, as they try to get through life. He should use this to talk about the mental health aspect of mass shootings, NOT banning weapons. MHO.
edit on 18-3-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

According to the article this guy didn't have mental health issues in the past. A homicidal/suicidal lunatic don't want any help.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

A homicidal/suicidal lunatic don't want any help.

I disagree.

Suicide and suicidal behaviors usually occur in people with one or more of the following:

Bipolar disorder
Borderline personality disorder
Depression
Drug or alcohol dependence
Schizophrenia
Stressful life issues, such as serious financial or relationship problems

Suicide and suicidal behavior

Depression can trigger suicidal thoughts in ANYONE.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I wouldnt call them idiots man.

I know several people who have taken their own life. They were not idiots.

I think there is a mental thing going on. Obviosly, but something has to trigger this kind of thinking.

remember, you are not center of the universe( not necessarily you). It seems that when some peoples expectations are not met they handle things differently than most.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I used to wonder why people would kill themselves after killing others. I used to say they should just kill themselves and get it over with and leave others out of it. Now I feel horrible because any lost life is tragic. There are mixed emotions on this, should we be happy only one person is dead? Or should we mourn the death of someone that could have maybe been helped.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I attend this university and I'm about to go to sleep; I'll try to keep this brief. FYI, I haven't read the article provided by the OP because I've been hearing/reading about this event ALL day.

He was a 30 year old living in the most expensive dormitory on campus. I estimate The Towers' population has an average age of 19 years old. It specifically happened on the 3rd floor.

He had a .22 semi-automatic rifle which is not to be confused with the mysterious "tactical assault rifle" as some media outlets are proclaiming. He also had a .45 caliber pistol. Reportedly 4 IED's were discovered in the student's backpack.

I don't know much about law enforcement protocol, but I do find it fishy that the explosive devices in his backpack weren't discovered for about 2+ hours after I was first informed about the suspicious death. I assume he was wearing it so I will assume the police rummaged minutes after investigating the body.

Most importantly, I received updates from the campus via text message. I'll list them in the order as I received them.

2:10 am "*UCF ALERT* Tower one evacuated due to suspicious death. Police on scene. Councilors on way"

2:47 am "No threat to campus community relatd to Tower 1 suspicious death"

4:39am "Suspicious device found in Tower 1. Evacuation remains in effect, garage G closed."

6:04 am "Main campus closed for classes & employees until 12. Essential personnel report to work."

6:21 am "Tower 1 students may report to UCF Arena at 7am until Tower 1 is reopened. Main campus is still closed. Research Park & other campus locations open for classes & work."

8:10 am "Garage G now open, campus still closed and Tower 1 still evacuated"

10:49 am "UCF Main campus will resume normal operations at noon. Tower 1 remains evacuated"

4:47 PM "Tower 1 open except for 3rd floor. See Housing Staff in lobby for more info."

6:39 PM "Tower 1, third floor is now open."

If any of you would like to research campus happenings more in-depth, you can always go to UCF Police Department. They have a daily activities log for all of you go-getters.

I'll be going to sleep for a lovely 3 hours, but I will be happy to answer questions regarding the event sometime tomorrow night if I have any free time. I can't promise my availability since my schedule is extremely hectic.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

A homicidal/suicidal lunatic don't want any help.

I disagree.

Suicide and suicidal behaviors usually occur in people with one or more of the following:

Bipolar disorder
Borderline personality disorder
Depression
Drug or alcohol dependence
Schizophrenia
Stressful life issues, such as serious financial or relationship problems

Suicide and suicidal behavior

Depression can trigger suicidal thoughts in ANYONE.

I agree... Suicidal thoughts are triggered by all of the above. However it's a totally different issue when a person decides to first kill a few other people before committing suicide. These people don't want help. No therapy or medication can cure somebody's urge to take other peoples lives. I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I wouldnt call them idiots man.

I know several people who have taken their own life. They were not idiots.

I think there is a mental thing going on. Obviosly, but something has to trigger this kind of thinking.

remember, you are not center of the universe( not necessarily you). It seems that when some peoples expectations are not met they handle things differently than most.

What would you call a man who planned to pull a fire alarm so that people would gather up in one place and open fire on them for no reason whatsoever? That's if what the media is reporting is true of course.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoothRhythm

Thanks for the information. If you can post an update on this story.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

I used to wonder why people would kill themselves after killing others

To escape the consequences?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
From what I've been hearing, the guy had apparently studied the tactics of other mass shootings. As the media has reported, he was not enrolled in classes and was in the process of getting kicked out of the dorms.

I've heard from people that he would spend many nights by himself at a bar called Mad Hatters which is directly across the street from the main campus.

There were a fleet of news vans two days ago, but none were present today from when I was on campus.

Police opened his remaining mail from the mail center and found that there were 1-3 various items from the semi-automatic .22 rifle.

The media keeps commenting on the hundreds of rounds of ammunition that he had, but he apparently only had 1-2 magazines.

Also, in the past few months, the campus has had multiple "mysterious package" closures. However, these packages only closed the specific building the package was found. There is a rumor that the mentally disturbed individual was planting these packages to test the response time of the student populace and the campus police.

This is all I know.
edit on 3/20/13 by SmoothRhythm because: Grammar

new topics

top topics

join