It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov - who do you think won?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
In case you missed it, there was a controversial no-call in the first round of twelve that technically could have changed the decision to a draw instead of a victory..

Bradley threw 1000 punches landing about 600 (if memory serves) which outscored his opponent, Ruslan (The Russian Rocky" ) Provodnikov. who had thrown a lot less, had a better landed percentage, stood up to everything Bradley had thrown, and had concussed Bradley repeatedly.

This was one for the books without a doubt. The trainers in both corners were wanting to stop the fight it was that damage inflicting to both athletes.

After the decision Bradley remarked that he thought he was concussed, he must be concussed, was still dizzy - after which he did the post-fight interview and was then taken away by ambulance.

www.youtube.com...

Provodnikov meanwhile was sporting the more visible injuries with multiple welts/contusions, a bleeding left eye-lid, yet still took it the full twelve rounds.

While the fight itself was phenomenal with regards to the hearts of both fighters being game, I was also one who hoped it wouldn't go much further... here is why...

Bradley was out on his feet in at least a few of the twelve rounds. The problem was that Bradley was defending a 33-0 record and wouldn't go down.

When a person is that concussed and still standing, that point of becoming unconscious with the next hit approaches what would be lethal.and luckily it ended relatively well considering what the potential for fatality was.

IMO both fighters lost but won't know it until later years. Concussion syndrome has been making the rounds in a number of sports but boxing or UFC fighting is really where the punishment to ones brain is a prime target.

At first glance I saw that the Russian was solid and even the announcers joked about the ineffectiveness of Bradley's punches equating them to termite hits in trying to wear the stronger opponent down.

I'm glad it ended without a fatality and yet these two fighters still have their chosen careers and as promising as they both looked, I wouldn't be surprised if a re-match were in the works.

... that is one I don't think I want to watch and had only watched this one because it was at a friends and it is their tv.

While Bradley won by the volume of punches, clearly Provodnikov would have ko'd him if he had another 30 seconds... in his case it was too little too late and at one point the ref was going to stop the fight as Provodnikov had only thrown a half dozen punches the entire round. (I think he wanted Bradley to punch himself out - fatigue for the boxing illiterate). It was still surprisingly close with them trading rounds/ pain.

I was relieved to not hear of a fatality and I would question the wisdom of a sport that even guarded by a ref, is still highly conducive to permanent brain damage.

This one was more unstoppable object meets immovable force than any I had seen over the years. Some would think it highly entertaining, I thought it was lucky nobody died.

Tip of the hat to the spirit of both fighters, but a questioning glance at their future health at the same time...
edit on 18-3-2013 by anoncoholic because: typo

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

One hell of a fight.

Fighting is fighting. I look at MMA and see even more damage done, even if the rounds are shorter. Still, the well being of the fighters should be handled by the in ring Doctor. He should have stepped in, if he thought one of the fighters or both, should quit.

S&F

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Both fighters know what can happen during a fight. The payout is their reason for doing so.
Every fighter from wrestling to MMA, know they can stop a fight, have the ref call it, or do what they feel they must.
I missed this one so I cannot comment on it directly.
But they all know the possibilities before taking to the mat.

Where's the conspiracy? Where in fact is the controversy? From what you describe it was a good fight.
Need I remind you humans have had far deadlier forms of entertainment in recorded history?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

But my issue is the damage later in life.

Listen to Freddie Roach and that distinct "punch-drunk" vocabulary.

www.youtube.com...

The ref did his job well, clean breaks, examining blood flow, even mandatory standing eight when Bradley went down, but Bradley didn't always go down and was clearly out of it. When Provodnikov knew Bradley was hurt he started throwing flurries and I honestly don't know what kept Bradley up other than his heart to win.

It wasn't the kind of fight I was expecting, and luckily what I was expecting didn't happen.

When an athlete loses weight to drop down in weight class, he still has the power, just not the weight behind it and speed is more of a factor than weight. When Bradley was concussed, his arms even looked sluggish - his eyes were not focused, he at one point spun on the mat and I think it was that spin that was counter-rotational to the impact his brain took and the direction it was jarred... if not for that spinning move (as he tried to stand) he probably would have been out. A full body shakeoff if you will (shaking it off)

At any rate, I felt for both fighters... a draw was out of the question by volume of punches thrown so I am reasonably sure a re-match is in the works.

Better prepared and better understanding of each others style doesn't bode well for either of their health. It would worry me to see them both face each other in the ring again.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

the controversy came in the first round when Bradley went down to one knee. The ref didn't call it a knockdown and yet imo it was. Bradley didn't have his balance and hadn't merely slipped.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Oh I hear you, and your right.

The problem? Boxing is a "sport" that inflicts damage to the body. Even with headgear, you still feel it. That's coming from experience. I stopped boxing once my children were born. I still feel the effects today, and I was totally amateur. Nice thread BTW.....

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thank you. Another point I just remembered was when Bradley's trainer told him he wanted to see that he could knock him out or he would throw in the towel. That next round was with a renewed vigor and as a motivational speech it worked.

At any rate, this fight had been on my mind since I saw it and I do know they all accept the risk willingly... I just question the wisdom of trading your brain for dollars. There really is no other way to put it... they are out of their minds.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Yeah. So you make ALL that money, but whats the use of enjoying it, when you become a walking vegetable?

Priorities..........

I loved boxing, but I knew what would happen in the long run...........You have to know when its time to throw in the towel, thats for sure.......

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I thought Bradley won by a hair because he simply landed more of his punches in more rounds. WOW, what a fight! That said, Provodnikov very nearly won by knockout three different times that I saw, and if he had knocked Bradley out, it would have been indisputable. I couldn't believe Bradley made it through that last round. It was extremely close and the best fight I think I have ever seen.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

That does sound like a knock down from what I know of boxing rules. Have others made a big deal of it?
Sounds like Bradley lost, so it seems even with the missed call, the fight was accurate?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thank your kids for me

"Two street gangs met and a hockey game broke out"

... used to be a joke and being a Canadian I grew up on hockey. ... seen a lot of ugly in the name of sport and one guy Sakari Ahlberg (minors - wolves / greyhounds) was taken into the boards with a forearm behind his head and broke his nose... bled from his eyes and never played again afaik and that memory is probably 40 years old at least.

There was a time when finesse and skill determined a players effectiveness ... we've gone downhill to brute force instead

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by anoncoholic

There was a time when finesse and skill determined a players effectiveness ... we've gone downhill to brute force instead

More like humans as a species, has regressed. I am sure if people could get away with it, we would be selling pay-per-view "to the death" matches. Who knows. Maybe we will see it in the future......

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar

I thought Bradley won by a hair because he simply landed more of his punches in more rounds. WOW, what a fight! That said, Provodnikov very nearly won by knockout three different times that I saw, and if he had knocked Bradley out, it would have been indisputable. I couldn't believe Bradley made it through that last round. It was extremely close and the best fight I think I have ever seen.

He did win on the cards yet imo if it had gone on any longer he would have been ko'd. and also Provodnikov had a better percentage of punches landed even though he threw less... it would have been a tough call either way I guess... they both finished the fight and it went to a decision ... next time I don't see it going the length and the Russian will come all out early.

Perhaps it was his inexperience or even respect for Bradley and that 33-0 record, I dunno but he waited for an opening that never materialized and only when he took a hit to throw his own did he even look like he could win.

It was brutal... and this was welterweight. My guess is that Provodnikov will move up in weight class... he has the power to stand in a heavier class.... and maybe he doesn't want to see Bradley again

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

That does sound like a knock down from what I know of boxing rules. Have others made a big deal of it?
Sounds like Bradley lost, so it seems even with the missed call, the fight was accurate?

Bradley won on the cards no contest... but as far as who was more damaging per hit it was the Russian.

I guess the decision is fair in counting everything not merely a definitive moment without a ko

What kept Bradley up I bet he himself is even wondering. He was physically being punched from one rope to the other and to look at the Russian, he looked lethargic - until he saw Bradley was hurt and Bradley did throw 1000 punches. ... and I don't think the Russian had ever had to go the distance before (not sure who it was)

I gotta hand it to Bradley though, he was joking about being "probably" concussed. He seemed to enjoy the fight as much as a spectator would have and came across as a winner with humility.

If I find the interview immediately after the fight I'll post it... it was before the decision I think

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by anoncoholic

More like humans as a species, has regressed. I am sure if people could get away with it, we would be selling pay-per-view "to the death" matches. Who knows. Maybe we will see it in the future......

yeah, I see the trends too

I wrote a thread on this (entertainment) but was wondering about the hunting of humans instead... then reality kicked in and I realized it had already been open season on humans, its called war.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

He seemed to enjoy the fight as much as a spectator would have and came across as a winner with humility.

I agree, this is exactly what I observed as well.

new topics

top topics

join