Real Life Captain America? Super Soilders on the way via DARPA

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
While people flock to the movies, especially the ones based on Marvel comics, does anyone stop to think that maybe one day these characters may become a reality? It's in the works in case you were'nt aware.

The future of war is going to look really, really weird. The "super soldier" research that DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) is working on right now is unlike anything we have ever seen before.

If DARPA is successful, and if the American people don't object, the soldiers of the future will be genetically modified transhumans capable of superhuman feats.

Do you want a soldier that can run faster than Usain Bolt? DARPA is working on that
Do you want a soldier that won't need food or sleep for days? DARPA is working on that
Do you want a soldier that can regrow lost limbs? DARPA is working on that
Do you want a soldier that can outlift Olympic weightlifters and that can communicate telepathically? DARPA is working on that

Genetic DNA manipulation involving viruses will help achieve the following;

Tomorrow's soldiers could be able to run at Olympic speeds and will be able to go for days without food or sleep, if new research into gene manipulation is successful.

According to the U.S. Army's plans for the future, their soldiers will be able to carry huge weights, live off their fat stores for extended periods and even regrow limbs blown apart by bombs.

The plans were revealed by novelist Simon Conway, who was granted behind-the-scenes access to the Pentagon's high-tech Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency.
The fact that DARPA has actually allowed these projects to be revealed in the mainstream media probably means that the development stage is nearly over and they are ready to try to convince a wary public to accept them

The research looks promising. Take a look at what they were able to accomplish with mice:

Tests on rats have already shown what is possible...

In 2005, Ronald Evans, a hormone expert working at the Salk Institute of Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, showed how genetic modification can increase the athletic power of mice.

Evans produced a group of genetically modified mice with an increased amount of slow-twitch muscle fibre. This type of fibre is associated with strong cardiovascular muscles and boosts an athlete’s endurance.

Evans’s mice could run for an hour longer than normal mice, were resistant to weight gain no matter what they were fed on, and remained at peak fitness even when they took no exercise.

GENETICALLY MODIFIED HUMANS

To go along with the potential of a real life Captian America, there's a primitive form of Ironman in the works. It involves the use of a exoskeleton.

The possible implications of these projects could prove disastrous if utilized in the wrong hands. What do you guys think?

edit on 18-3-2013 by TrueMessiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I've suspected for a long time that this would happen in the future. First we imagine it, fantasize about it and eventually science catches up to make it happen. That's just the way of the human race. If you can imagine it, it can eventually be accomplished no matter how crazy it sounds now. They have been talking about genetically modifying people since at least the 90's. They've been drooling over developing humans who could spend an entire lifetime up in space without being affected physically or mentally by the stress of their environment. These suits and enhanced physical performance are just the beginning.

Of course it can fall into the wrong hands. Anything that offers power will be sought by someone who wants to overpower those around him/her. All you can do is try to keep up with the bad guys, hopefully out-do them. It's an exciting time to be alive. Good? Bad? We will see.
edit on 18-3-2013 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueMessiah

I'm all for transhumanism.
The problem I have with super soldiers is: What happens when the soldiers want to go into civilian life?

If the modifications are permanent and inheritable/communicable then the soldiers become a National Security risk once released into the public as any sufficiently organized enemy X could then bag-head the new civilian soldier to force them into breeding a super soldier army for Enemy X's team.
If the enhancements are communicable instead of just inheritable, then Enemy X would just need retain civilian soldier boy for samples until they work out how to reproduce the enhancements in mass production.

There's problems here since it's essentially military technology. Any soldier going home will almost be like going home fully armed and combat ready in battle dress at all times to some extent.

As mentioned also, if the modifications are communicable, it wouldn't necessarily need be Enemy X needs be worried about. Soldiers, especially grunts, typically don't find themselves in the highest paying most rewarding careers after their stint in the military.
Any sufficiently enterprising private concern would certainly stand to profit from reverse engineering the soldier modifications with the temptation of a nice payout for the soldier of course.
Mil tech is then loose in the civilian population, and like illegal firearms, guess what sorts of people on the civilian side will be getting their mods on first?

edit on 18-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

The easiest thing to do in this instance would be to have a 'kill switch'

So enables a life expectancy of the soldier. When their duty is finished and their useful service life has expired a simple kill switch will prevent any further complications with assimilation back into society.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

That's definitely a scary thought. Long range consequences may seem endless. It may even be possible for the genetic code to be passed to offspring. In a nutshell, the threats you speak of were inconclusively summed up like this:

When you really stop and think about this kind of technology, the implications are staggering.

Could viruses be used to genetically modify humanity on a large scale?

How would the rest of humanity respond to a "super race" of mutants that are clearly "superior" to the rest of us in a bunch of different ways?

When you start messing with creation, it opens up Pandora's Box.

The possibilities are endless, but so are the potential problems. Just because we can do something does not mean that we should. There may be consequences decades down the road that we cannot even conceive of right now.

From the same link.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

The problem with that is that if there's an "off" switch for the modifications, Enemy X could very well discover it, aerosol a weaponized version of the "off" switch, allowing for the near complete disablement of any number of deployed personnel anywhere.

Super soldiers acclimated to being super solders would then be severely handicapped against even a smaller, weaker opponent.

Having an "off" switch, even if it takes a month or two for the modifications to melt away once triggered still poses a hazard to any war fighters.

Now, a system similarly illustrated in the Bourne movies where a non-inheritable, non-communicable regime of viral pills is maintained where the effects wear off if the pills aren't got may be the final "safe" product.
Soldiers then need take a pill or an injection every day, or week, or some other time frame to maintain their condition. Miss the treatment, and the modifications begin to melt away.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Where have i heard this "trans-humanism" before.....

Oh yeah! Hercules, Perseus, Medusa, The Minotaur, Centaurs, Mermaids, Dryads, Pegasus, The Cyclops.
"But those are just myths and stories." There is NOTHING NEW under the sun! If we can do it now, you can be sure that it was done before.

It was just a matter of time.

When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. - Genesis 6:1-4 (NIV)

And we know waht happened after that. Only Noah found grace in Gods eyes, because he was pure in his generations(read NO TAINTED DNA)

You see, on the seventh day, when God rested, he called his creation "Very Good"....then the watchers had to go and start messing things up till creation was unrecognizable in comparison to the original.

We humans are very hard headed, refusing to learn the lessons of the past, and therefore must suffer the same consequences.
We were told the end from the beginning, and so have no excuse, yet the movies and 'science' tells us it is ok, you too can be a god'
What a perversion we have become.

Just my 2 cents.
edit on 18-3-2013 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
I've suspected for a long time that this would happen in the future. First we imagine it, fantasize about it and eventually science catches up to make it happen. That's just the way of the human race. If you can imagine it, it can eventually be accomplished no matter how crazy it sounds now. They have been talking about genetically modifying people since at least the 90's. They've been drooling over developing humans who could spend an entire lifetime up in space without being affected physically or mentally by the stress of their environment. These suits and enhanced physical performance are just the beginning.

Of course it can fall into the wrong hands. Anything that offers power will be sought by someone who wants to overpower those around him/her. All you can do is try to keep up with the bad guys, hopefully out-do them. It's an exciting time to be alive. Good? Bad? We will see.
edit on 18-3-2013 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

I agree, trying to limit humanity is not the answer, it never has heen, because it never works. Look at every type of prohibition tried, it all fsils miserably, as humans will do as humans want, no laws will stop people from being people.

So one must either evolve, or be left behind. Knives dont work in a gun fight, augmented humanity will be superior to nonaugments.

The nonaugments can try to catch up, or they will fall behind, and be powerless. It will be ablout more technological than physiological in less than 30 years anyway with quantum computers otw.

I woukd be more concerned with cyborgs than biological augmentations. No matter what kind of muscle fibers you have or how many, a mechanical arm is still gonna win, no matter the natural armor, steel is still gonna be steonger, no matter how big your brain is, a quantum computer the size of a wrist is gonna be millions of times faster.

I welcome the singularity, I grow tired of this pathetically weak and needy meat sack I inhabit. Even if I wont be able to participate, I would love to see a day when men can jump mountains, or skidive from space without a suit etc..

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
and with the latest results of the Lazarus Project, it makes one really wonder where it will all lead! (NO, not the movie.. another linky)

They were able to revive an extinct frog from dead cells, think of the ramifications....

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I think i love you

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by occrest
Where have i heard this "trans-humanism" before.....

Oh yeah! Hercules, Perseus, Medusa, The Minotaur, Centaurs, Mermaids, Dryads, Pegasus, The Cyclops.
"But those are just myths and stories." There is NOTHING NEW under the sun! If we can do it now, you can be sure that it was done before.

It was just a matter of time.

When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. - Genesis 6:1-4 (NIV)

And we know waht happened after that. Only Noah found grace in Gods eyes, because he was pure in his generations(read NO TAINTED DNA)

You see, on the seventh day, when God rested, he called his creation "Very Good"....then the watchers had to go and start messing things up till creation was unrecognizable in comparison to the original.

We humans are very hard headed, refusing to learn the lessons of the past, and therefore must suffer the same consequences.
We were told the end from the beginning, and so have no excuse, yet the movies and 'science' tells us it is ok, you too can be a god'
What a perversion we have become.

Why is it a perversion to want to better ourselves? Your god sounds like he wants pets, not the thinking capable industrious oeople I see around me. I suppose your also more than happy to oblige and take your pat on the head after you fetch his slippers also?.

I very mush doubt god, if he exists, would want ignorant animals running wild raping and killing like in the bad old days. I say we are better off on our own, especially seeing how far faith in him has kept us from going.

Man will find his own way in this universe, and technologies like this will be the way we take our first true stepps towards the stars.

I would think any creator would be happy to see his children growing up and preparing to take the biggest step of all. The one where they decide for themselves what is best for their future.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This super soldiers will mean super terrorist if hen goes rouge.

This project will go bad real fast.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Why is it a perversion to want to better ourselves?
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I do not see this genetic manipulation as 'bettering' ourselves, but that is just my opinion. Bettering ourselves, in my opinion, is to stop being selfish, stop trying to control others, helping those less fortunate. The exoskeleton shown in the OP could go a long way to helping the paralyzed walk again, but mankind, guided by the evil spirits in this world will just use this to kill and destroy. Again, this is my opinion.
You are welcome to yours.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I really believe by the time all this was to be happening, we will have Terminator type soldiers anyway.

Good news for us is we won't be around long enough to see it.

Like your thoughts by the way...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This reminds me of the plot of the film Gattaca. I believe that film sums up what would happen. The Alpha humans would discriminate against the Betas. I am currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and I could also see there being many different types of humans, a type for each task.
edit on 19-3-2013 by geldib because: (no reason given)
edit on 19-3-2013 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Check This Out!!!

Genetically modifying humans to become super soldiers is a ridiculous idea that is frought with danger.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Heck, where do I sign up for testing?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
Heck, where do I sign up for testing?

If I were you I wouldn't rush to become a Guinea pig until I found out the specifics.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

I'm with you. Sing me up. Let these wimps cower in obsolescence if they like.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'm all for humanity bettering and improving themselves though augmentations, prosthetics and genetic engineering. If it eventually means I no longer need glasses and can get improved eye-sight then.....huuahh!

Of course if someone wants to put animalistic traits like fur, scales, claws a tail, what-have-you, are they still considered human? If someone is eventually stronger or smarter due to upgrades wouldn't it be unethical to take away those same upgrades once their service is over?

new topics
top topics

join