It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the town that drowned: Ruins of town emerge 25 years after floods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
A town in Eastern Argentina has emerged out of flood waters after 25 years.

This eerie real-life Atlantis has reappeared from under flood waters after spending 25 years submerged. Some 1,500 residents barely had time to grab their belongings when the spa resort of Villa Epecuen was swamped after a lagoon burst its banks in 1985. By 1993 the town, in eastern Argentina, which drew 20,000 visitors a year, lay hidden beneath 10 metres of water. But now, as the salty lagoon water recedes, spooky silvery ruins have re-emerged.

Link

The town had 280 businesses, including lodges, guesthouses, hotels and businesses, centred around the tourist trade.

It does indeed look pretty eerie -

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I remember reading about this. I'm sure there is an old guy that still lives there. thanks for the post

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Wow nice... I have this fascination with ghost towns!

Nothing like this ever happens where I live. And someday I'll go to Chernobyl!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Super cool. I wonder if they have any sort of plans to rebuild it? Thanks for posting. Maybe one day after the "big one" california will look like that.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

This is good for all those people to see that think there would be very much left over from a civilization that existed hundreds of thousands or even millions of years ago. Look what happened after only 25

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think it is interesting that the Pope is from Argentina and now a town in Argentina emerges from out of the waters.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Very interesting. I wonder how much has been recovered in Japan after the Tsunami and EQ of 2011.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by supertrot

Very good point. That city was eaten up by the salt water and water currents.

I wonder who owns the land deeds to this place now that it was once again oceanfront property.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Food for thought.

If the Global Warming people are correct, the level of the oceans should be rising as the ice packs melt. Then why are the water levels receding?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is pretty cool looking to me. I know it was bad for the people that lived there, but I mean the imagery of the desolate place. The thought that all that was underwater, now after so long exposed to the air. I would love to be there to explore. I love abandoned places. I'm glad you posted it and brought it to our attention!

new topics

top topics

join