It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Pictures: Steganography, Al-Qaeda and Anonymous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I came across this very interesting article about Anonymous members re-posting images with hidden messages without even knowing it (probably). I always felt that anonymous might have an agenda not in the best interest of the regular people.

Anyways here's the article and be careful with what you re-post on social media.

Hidden Pictures: Steganography, Al-Qaeda and Anonymous

Ken Buckler, a Senior Cyber Security expert at a major defense firm, began analyzing images distributed by members of Anonymous via social media. He focused in particular on a very popular Anonymous Twitter account – @YourAnonNews – that has over 100,000 Twitter followers and is a prolific source of news items regarding the activities of Anonymous. Suggestions the image had been cropped, and the cropping explained the data discrepancy, were taken in account. Buckler retested the images by cropping the originals and comparing the results, and was able to rule out cropping as an explanation for the additional data in the images. An article detailing his analysis of these images is published on Buckler’s blog “Caffeine Security.

I recently started analyzing several images being re-posted by the Twitter handle @YourAnonNews. Out of 51 images analyzed I found two images which returned "positive" as having embedded data, as well as two additional images which generated errors during analysis (possibly obfuscated?).

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
what program are you running as a detector?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Interesting, a hell of a lot goes on in Twitter that people don't realise, this ones new on me, not a bad way of getting information out there (I guess you could do something similar on LOLCats or something
).

They still have access to that Botnet of 14 year old "anarchist's" computers as well don't they?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

For terrorists, Anonymous is an invitation to join a loosely affiliated group of people who don’t know who each other are, most often don’t care to find out, and share a love for attacking governments and civilian targets with little to no concern for collateral damage. Read more: sofrep.com...

So they are trying to equate Anonymous with terrorists? How convenient...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dirtybird
what program are you running as a detector?

Let us know when you find out.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
STEGDETECT?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I was asked if Al-Cia-Da was supporting me financially during the period that I was unemployed by a lady who was interviewing me for my citizenship. She was so serious, I looked dead in her eyes and said No; but inside I was ROFL.

I was thinking in my head, "Getting the blue pen from her side of the desk and writing " Al-CIA-Duh" with a smirk on my face. *locks hands together.* But that would probably freak her out knowing how surprisingly spontenous I can be towards people that I have never met. Off topic I know...Ill get back when I read the thread again...

btw: S&F

eta: no comment

edit on 18-3-2013 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'd imagine that the pictures found were using stenography was due to its size as once they'd removed the actual picture data they was left with excess data which would scream somethings hidden in the rest of the space

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join