It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just In: Blackout at Fukushima Daiichi — Cooling at fuel pools stopped, all power’s been down 3h

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

TEPCO planned for an earthquake, and a tsunami at Fukushima. Everything worked just fine, but the tsunami was much larger than predicted
reply to post by Zaphod58

First off you cannot predict a tsunami as you stated second you cannot predict the size of the said tsunami.
You are really really stretching it here tonight.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nobody knows exactly what will happen, but we can get a range of estimation based on our knowledge of nuclear physics (not yours or mine, but experts), and the guestimate of radioactive material on site. If all of that radiation is released into the atmosphere and ocean, it's not an end of the world situation. That's all some on this thread are trying to make perfectly clear. Very few professionals disagree with this assessment. People die? Sure, but that happens every day regardless. A good fraction of the species being wiped out? Not a chance in hell.
edit on 18-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Funny hearing YOU talk about disparaging remarks.
I just have to call it as I see it. If using sarcasm to make a point about obvious disinformation is off topic, than I'm a little green alien.

So, you're also on Team Just Fine?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

Of course we're all being exposed, but some are going to get more than others.
I'd like to see a report on whether birth defects have increased in Japan and California since the disaster.

Parts of Japan? Sure. I expect that. California?? Maybe ever so slightly. What difference does it truly make, anyways? It's not as if any of us here are in a position to do much about it. That POP clock keeps rising by the day, and we're far from being on a sustainable path.

I just think this is blown way, way out of proportions, especially when you consider the other problems going on in the world.

What difference does it make if babies are going to be born with birth defects? Are you serious? We shouldn't be worried about this? Don't you think that this information might be a concern to those who are thinking of starting a family in the areas with the most radiation accumulation?

By the way, I was born with birth defects, so, yes, it actually does make a difference. A huge difference. But, I guess to those who haven't been afflicted with this, why should they care? If it's not affecting them directly, who gives a rat's behind. Right?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

TEPCO planned for an earthquake, and a tsunami at Fukushima. Everything worked just fine, but the tsunami was much larger than predicted
reply to post by Zaphod58

First off you cannot predict a tsunami as you stated second you cannot predict the size of the said tsunami.
You are really really stretching it here tonight.

Regards, Iwinder

What an absurd statement. If a large enough earthquake goes off in the ocean close enough to a land mass, we can predict a tsunami with great accuracy. You can also predict the size of the tsunami. You can also predict the frequency of tsunamis over a given period of time, and by range of size, though the prediction will be less accurate than the first two.

What was said is truth. They planned the site to take the hit of an earthquake, and tsunami. They simply didn't build it to last centuries, ie to withstand a large enough earthquake and/or tsunami. It was stupid. You don't put something that can potentially cause so much damage, and design it to be safe from the standpoint of tens of years, with a somewhat high degree of certainty, rather than hundreds of years minimum. It means they cut corners when designing these things.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Funny hearing YOU talk about disparaging remarks.
I just have to call it as I see it. If using sarcasm to make a point about obvious disinformation is off topic, than I'm a little green alien.

So, you're also on Team Just Fine?

As always, please quote for me any disparaging remarks that I have made. I challenge you with this every single time you make up one of your little accusations. You have yet to oblige. Hmmmm, wonder why

Obvious disinformation? That's a pretty serious accusation (another one that you make often). Please provide a source to back up said accusation.

As I said before, to speak as though you know what will happen here is foolish. NO ONE knows what will happen.

Team just fine? Seriously?
edit on 18-3-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

What difference does it make if babies are going to be born with birth defects? Are you serious? We shouldn't be worried about this? Don't you think that this information might be a concern to those who are thinking of starting a family in the areas with the most radiation accumulation?

Did you try to take my post out of context, or is that just something you naturally do? Babies are born with defects regardless. I'm saying it's very low on the list of things that we should be focused on in 2013. We are billions strong. A few extra babies with defects is merely a byproduct of the civilization we live in. If you don't like it, leave, except you can't, really.

By the way, I was born with birth defects, so, yes, it actually does make a difference. A huge difference. But, I guess to those who haven't been afflicted with this, why should they care? If it's not affecting them directly, who gives a rat's behind. Right?

No, it doesn't. Not in the least. Maybe you should go and ban automobiles because people are much more likely to die from driving one than they are from eating "radioactive" milk on the east coast. Your scales are very out of proportion. Better yet, why don't you start some threads about all the DU which has been spread all over the middle east and parts of Africa over the last 15 years? Freaking ridiculous how people are acting like this is anything more than a slight scratch on the surface of the earth.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Nobody knows exactly what will happen, but we can get a range of estimation based on our knowledge of nuclear physics (not yours or mine, but experts), and the guestimate of radioactive material on site. If all of that radiation is released into the atmosphere and ocean, it's not an end of the world situation. That's all some on this thread are trying to make perfectly clear. Very few professionals disagree with this assessment. People die? Sure, but that happens every day regardless. A good fraction of the species being wiped out? Not a chance in hell.

You mistook my statement. I wasnt saying we cant know what will happen if all of that radiation is released. We can estimate quite accurately.

I was saying the condition of the reactors, and the events taking place there, are unprecedented. there is simply no way to know if or how much will be released, how it will happen, how long it will take, etc.

And totally agreed. An ELE? Absurd.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think its high time the Japanese get some ball, man up to the problem they have that can kill or hurt a lot of people world wide and fix it. Many thousands of Russians and Ukrainians gave their lives to stop their mess, its time the Japanese do the same. The Japanese have done jack squat one to cure this problem and the whole world should be riding their asses till they do. I think international help should be offered and if they don't want it then they should be punished and an international force should move in and stop it.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
I think its high time the Japanese get some ball, man up to the problem they have that can kill or hurt a lot of people world wide and fix it. Many thousands of Russians and Ukrainians gave their lives to stop their mess, its time the Japanese do the same. The Japanese have done jack squat one to cure this problem and the whole world should be riding their asses till they do. I think international help should be offered and if they don't want it then they should be punished and an international force should move in and stop it.

Ok, so whats the plan to fix it?

Its so simple, so what is it?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Thanks for the clarification, and I apologize for mistaking your words.

Agreed.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

Yet give it about another 30 years and then we will see.
By then people will have forgotten unless they lived or live there.

Regards, Iwinder

Why do we need to wait? It's been a long enough time for the cancers to have developed.

Maybe if you care to check it out, look for some pictures around Chernobyl. Incredible growth for such an irradiated area. Don't ya think?

Yes like the 500 pound catfish and the government people who will not even go within 300 kilometers of the place
That is a good place to start, mind you do not venture off of the roads where the dust might hit you.
The cancers have developed and you can google till your hearts content to see the results.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Ever since this fiasco first came to light I was baffled that some genius decided to build a nuclear power plant on the coast of an Ocean, not some random isolated marsh or wetlands. Let us keep in mind that it's spitting distance from the complex, that pissed me off more so than the breakdown in safety procedures initially. In my opinion it's only a short time before there's another catastrophic failure and we have an absurd amount of nuclear waste and dangerous fumes released into the atmosphere, jet stream and the ever present body of water lurking on the coast.
I won't even touch on the problems this will cause for the ecosystem and all marine life and creatures living in the immediate and distant regions.

Lastly, The building developers and those who financed this plant should be charged with crimes against humanity for there shoddy at best planning and zoning. But it's okay they can just make some commercials and give cash to locals like BP did with the gulf.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Of course we're all being exposed, but some are going to get more than others.
I'd like to see a report on whether birth defects have increased in Japan and California since the disaster.

So would I but it will go the route of Asbestos and DDT etc etc by the time we learn of the bad news it is not news anymore.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

About 7 more years of cooling the damaged and melted down reactors, clean up and removal of as much spent fuel from the site as possible, then another three to five years of construction to entomb the site.

15,000 to 20,000 years ... It's all good.

edit on 18-3-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I worry what that action might do to our oceans though!
edit on 18-3-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Iwinder

Not enough to cause a blackout. The amount that would have to be released to cause a blackout would probably have to be high enough to kill everyone in its path. I think that would have been noticed by now, considering most of them would have been dead already.

Again you are posting your opinions only......the word "Probably" brings forth some concerns about your posting habits.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

About 7 more years of cooling the damaged and melted down reactors, clean up and removal of as much spent from from the site as possible, then another three to five years of construction to entomb the site.

15,000 to 20,000 years ... It's all good.

edit on 18-3-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

Well gee, thats all? I suppose the previous poster was correct....Japan should hurry up and fix it!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I just think this is blown way, way out of proportions, especially when you consider the other problems going on in the world.

The old look the other way when the sh*t is hitting the fan this way is it?
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

No, the whole... lets keep perspective and get real kinda thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join