Just In: Blackout at Fukushima Daiichi — Cooling at fuel pools stopped, all power’s been down 3h

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure 10% of the population didn't die from Chernobyl
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

Yet give it about another 30 years and then we will see.
By then people will have forgotten unless they lived or live there.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I've read a number of places where they have said they have up to four days to get it under control. And a number of places that have stated repeatedly, that even if the #4 cooling plant goes it's not going to be an ELE. It will be bad, especially for the people there, but it's not going to be all doom and gloom, we're all going to die. It's going to be bad enough but it won't be at the level that people are claiming.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by daryllyn

The fact that two years on, there hasn't been another major release from the plant is an indicator that they're handling things "just fine". The plant has been stable, considering the amount of damage it suffered during the initial disaster, and yet, despite all the doom and gloom "it's going to destroy at least the Northern Hemisphere" talk, it has yet to suffer another major release.

Yes, it's still severely damaged, but I don't know anyone that operates nuclear power that has a comprehensive plan to repair a facility that is still operating that has suffered the extent of damage that Fukushima suffered.

Handling just fine is your opinion only, If it is just fine please drop some links that will calm our nerves for all reading this thread.

Now that would be just fine indeed.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Who said we're all going to die?
I guess on your planet radiation exposure doesn't cause birth defect and various mutations through multiple generations?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

Yet give it about another 30 years and then we will see.
By then people will have forgotten unless they lived or live there.

Regards, Iwinder

Why do we need to wait? It's been a long enough time for the cancers to have developed.

Maybe if you care to check it out, look for some pictures around Chernobyl. Incredible growth for such an irradiated area. Don't ya think?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

It would have had to be a huge emission to cause a power outage. Generally the only radioactive emissions that cause an outage are CMEs from the sun. They are thousands of times more energetic than anything released on earth.

So are you saying a huge emission did not happen?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Who said we're all going to die?
I guess on your planet radiation exposure doesn't cause birth defect and various mutations through multiple generations?

I'm pretty sure radiation exposure is inevitable, and that life wouldn't exist without it.

The question is not a matter of "if" but "how much". It's the dose which matters most.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Of course we're all being exposed, but some are going to get more than others.
I'd like to see a report on whether birth defects have increased in Japan and California since the disaster.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The truth about this situation has yet to be told. TEPCO and the gov of Japan scrambled to downplay the seriousness of the disaster from day 1. What makes you think that ruse has not continued to this day? You keep saying "it won't be as bad as people think" and yet it has been revealed that things were actually much much WORSE than was admitted initially.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Oh let's see:

www.youtube.com...
realnewsworldwide.com...
askaboutfukushimanow.com...
______beforeitsnews/conspiracy-theories/2012/04/fukushima-4-an-extinction-level-event-life-on-earth-hangs-in-the-balance-1996335.html

Those are just a few of the places you can find people screaming about how it's going to end life as we know it.

Radiation is required for life, and we deal with it daily at levels most people have no idea of.

www.nrc.gov...

We are designed to deal with normal doses of radiation, over the course of years quite well. It's the large unexpected doses that cause mutations, but even then, not all mutations are bad things. I simply don't freak out at the word "radiation" and automatically assume that it's a horrible thing that's going to kill me.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Not enough to cause a blackout. The amount that would have to be released to cause a blackout would probably have to be high enough to kill everyone in its path. I think that would have been noticed by now, considering most of them would have been dead already.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

I've read a number of places where they have said they have up to four days to get it under control. And a number of places that have stated repeatedly, that even if the #4 cooling plant goes it's not going to be an ELE.

If #4 loses the ability to retain water and cooling in the spent fuel pools, you will eventually have hundreds of tons of rods exposed to the air, in a short time the gamma radiation would be so intense that it would be immediately fatal for about 300 feet around and above the structure, then the rods would keep heating, fires and explosions would follow leading to a likely collapse of the building, then you have hundreds and hundreds of tons this stuff exposed completely, the entire site would have to be completely abandoned... Then what happens when they can no longer cool or even get near the other damaged already melted down reactors?

Yeah, it would be bad, especially for Japan.... Maybe not an ELE, but if it all went down as laid out above it could be far worse than many assume.

A lot of "what if" in all of that... So it's unlikely, maybe even only an extremely remote possibility... But hey anything could happen there.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

And again, they're handling it well enough that we haven't seen an emission on the order of the initial release. Levels have still been high, obviously, but not sustained like they were during the initial incident. Even using TEPCO numbers, they estimated at one point that 900,000 terabecquerels were released between March 12 and 31 after the tsunami. The initial release was 1/6th that of Chernobyl. Since then, levels have stayed around 70 sieverts/hr inside Reactor 2. That's nowhere NEAR the initial release. And it hasn't gotten anywhere near the initial release, even using non-TEPCO numbers.

Again, I'm not saying everything is well, and that there is nothing to worry about. IN THIS INSTANCE, there is time to react, and we aren't yet at the danger point of an immediate disaster for this particular incident.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Exactly. We don't know for certain what would happen. As I've stated, it would be horrible but it isn't going to wipe out the Northern Hemisphere as some places and people claim it's going to.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
off topic
edit on 18-3-2013 by peashooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Gee. Thanks for the sources on those who are screaming we're all going to die, but I meant in this thread who was claiming this. So, now who's jumping to conclusions again?

Radiation is required for life, and we deal with it daily at levels most people have no idea of.

Yes. This is what I'm talking about.
How can you even compare the natural radiation we get to what the reactors are spewing out?
Our bodies need water, too. Now, go ahead and drink six gallons of water one after the other and see what happens.
(I'm joking by the way. Don't do this. It will kill you.)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Unity_99

You can lift the rods out, and expose them for a short time. The rods in reactor 4 are spent cooling rods, which can be contained in casks. They aren't as active as a "normal" fuel rod. Spent fuel rods can no longer maintain the reaction required for use in a reactor. You have to lift spent fuel rods out to both transport them to a holding tank, and to put them in a cask that is used to store them for disposal.

That is a weak argument and you probably know that but I thought it prudent to remind you that this is not a guessing game of what will work and not.

It is science and so far as I have read we are in serious doo doo world wide starting with Japan and next the North American coastline.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Of course we're all being exposed, but some are going to get more than others.
I'd like to see a report on whether birth defects have increased in Japan and California since the disaster.

Parts of Japan? Sure. I expect that. California?? Maybe ever so slightly. What difference does it truly make, anyways? It's not as if any of us here are in a position to do much about it. That POP clock keeps rising by the day, and we're far from being on a sustainable path.

I just think this is blown way, way out of proportions, especially when you consider the other problems going on in the world.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Afterthought

Who said I was upset? But if you want to play that game, then fine, have fun with that. I'm sorry that research, and listening to people that know what they're talking about, instead of Alex Jones or some other snake oil salesman is so frowned upon, but I'll stick to the first over the latter any day thanks.

Good on you for getting my NOT off topic post removed.
Now you're free to act as though it was some crazy comment by making people believe I quoted Alex Jones or something.
Keep doing what you're doing. Never let a good crisis go to waste! Just stay calm and breathe. Right?
Why don't you volunteer to go over there and work if you're so sure it's safe? Go have some sushi imported directly from Japan. I'm sure it will help to increase your brain power.

What was that you were saying earlier about the sun's radiation being the same as the radiation coming from the nuke plants?
Can you quote a source that states solar radiation is the same as nuclear radiation?

Actually, it was me who reported your VERY off topic post. Belittling and personal based posts mocking a poster that have nothing to do with the actual topic at hand have no place on this forum.

I find it kind of funny that all of you are speaking like you know what will happen. This was, and still is, an unprecedented event. We have no model to look at and say, "ok, this is what to expect". Its very much a guessing game, and a game of wait and see.
edit on 18-3-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Gee. Thanks for the sources on those who are screaming we're all going to die, but I meant in this thread who was claiming this. So, now who's jumping to conclusions again?

Yes. This is what I'm talking about.
How can you even compare the natural radiation we get to what the reactors are spewing out?
Our bodies need water, too. Now, go ahead and drink six gallons of water one after the other and see what happens.
(I'm joking by the way. Don't do this. It will kill you.)

For the people wondering if radiation near nuclear reactor is safe, it IS NOT.

People on youtube living near the area (including Tokyo) have posted videos of them measuring radiation in various locations and it is NOT under safe limits.

Many children in Japan have already shown effects from radiation as children are more prone to it. The water is continuously getting polluted and sitting on an active ring of earthquake activity only makes matters worse.

Worst case scenario if an earthquake hits Japan near the reactor and the spent rods start burning, the radioactive fumes will be on the west coast of North America. This is a global nuclear crisis but not many people seem to know about this, weird how at first it was global news but now when they cannot fix the damn problem they downplay it.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join