Just In: Blackout at Fukushima Daiichi — Cooling at fuel pools stopped, all power’s been down 3h

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Power failure in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, fuel pool cooling system stop
Yahoo news Japan

A pool of three groups, a total of 2500 spent fuel invention is accommodated. Temperature of the pool is about 25 degrees the highest in Unit 4. Also stops cooling, the temperature rise of the current is small, to reach a maximum of 65 degrees of management, that there is a margin of about 4 days. In addition, I have also stopped contaminated water treatment equipment.

headlines.yahoo.co.jp...

Common pool of 6377 fuel assemblies lost power too, Fukushima is under storm warnings

At 18:57 of 3/18/2013, Fukushima plant lost the power. In addition to the spent fuel pool of reactor1, 3, and 4, the common pool to stock 6377 also lost the power. The reason is not still identified. According to Japanese meteorological agency, Fukushima plant area is under the storm warnings tonight.

fukushima-diary.com...

Japan urged to send out global SOS over No. 1 plant

The Japan Times-Mar 13, 2013 Japan urged to send out global SOS over No. ... are calling for a broader range of international experts to be brought on board, including ... still stemming from the spent-fuel pools of the four crippled reactors at Fukushima No.

www.japantimes.co.jp...-fVZnQ7g

files.abovetopsecret.com...

www.youtube.com...

A Lasting Legacy of the Fukushima Rescue Mission, Part 4: Living With the Aftermath

U.S. Navy Sailor: Our digital watches stopped working when offshore Fukushima after 3/11 — “We were laughing at first, but then…”

[... The USS Ronald] Reagan’s crew had been assured that there was no radiation to worry about over the open ocean and, as the ship’s navigator, [Maurice Enis] had been led to believe that the radiation was a distinct plume that they could avoid. It was now apparent that the radiation cloud was everywhere, and avoiding it would not always be possible.

On the quarter mile long deck there was another alarming note. “I had a digital watch,” said quartermaster Jaime Plym, “and it suddenly stopped working.

Somebody made a crack that radiation would do that. There were five or six of us on deck and everyone looked at their watches — and all the digital watches had stopped. There was one that was real expensive, and it wasn’t working either.

“We were laughing at first. But then that petered out and we just sort of looked at each other because it wasn’t funny anymore.” [...]

spoonsenergymatters.wordpress.com...
edit on 18-3-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
10 times the cesium of Chernobyl, and the fate of the world depends on it

How does that even make sense

I would tend to think we would need, oh I don't know... 10,000 times the amount of Chernobyl for "the fate of the world" to depend on it.

Not saying this isn't an ugly picture, but this guy is far over the top.

I'm pretty sure 10% of the population didn't die from Chernobyl. This guy is just nuts.
edit on 18-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The shame is that instead of the world using the best it has to fix a problem that could have major impact on the planet, a corporation concerned with profits is still running the show.

Should be unbelievable, but in today's world just every day operation.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

The fact that two years on, there hasn't been another major release from the plant is an indicator that they're handling things "just fine". The plant has been stable, considering the amount of damage it suffered during the initial disaster, and yet, despite all the doom and gloom "it's going to destroy at least the Northern Hemisphere" talk, it has yet to suffer another major release.

Yes, it's still severely damaged, but I don't know anyone that operates nuclear power that has a comprehensive plan to repair a facility that is still operating that has suffered the extent of damage that Fukushima suffered.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So this is why I have been feeling morbidly depressed all day!
nice one human fools.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Oh wow, a sane person. You don't see that too often these days. Appreciate the input!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The radioactive density of SFP of reactor 1 is 24 billion Bq/m3, 5266 times much as reactor4

According to Tepco, the pool water of reactor1 is extremely contaminated compared to other 3 spent fuel pools, which is 5266 times worse than the spent fuel pool of reactor4.

fukushima-diary.com...

www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Question to anyone about the Fukushima emission toward Tokyo area 3/19/2013 youtube. Was this related to what might have caused the power outrage or did it come after the outage?

No background information on this video was listed.

One of the comments below the video shouts a warning to the West Coast.

as OF TODAY PEOPLE LIKE I WHO LIVE IN UNITED STATES NEAR THE WATER OF THE PACIFC IS AT RISK OF THIS IM AM NEAR OAKLAND CALIFORINA AND A STORM IS COMING THIS WAY AND ALSO TO ADD TO STROM IS COMING FROM JAPAN ....POPLE MUST TAKE ACTION TO KEEP ONE SELF SAFE BY STAYING IN SIDE OUT OF RAIN AND AFTER SROM ...USE WATER AND SOAP TO TRY TO WASH HOUSE OF CATIMENTS......PS YES I AM HAZEMAT TEAM WORKER AS WELL...PLZ TAKE NOTE OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What a coincidence that it would happen today. The 10th anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq. In the great pool of chaos that makes up world events I understand that the harmonics of only two events should seem meaningless, but it certainly is hard not to take note.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

It would have had to be a huge emission to cause a power outage. Generally the only radioactive emissions that cause an outage are CMEs from the sun. They are thousands of times more energetic than anything released on earth.

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Reactors 1, 2, and 3 melted down years ago and are either sitting at the bottom of the torus or have melted through them (as is believed by most) and are eating their way down through the soil beneath the reactor buildings. The hydrogen explosions that occurred in reactors 1, 2, and 3 severely compromised SPF's in those buildings and fuel assemblies in them. There have not been photos or video showing that SPF's in buildings 1, 2, and 3 are still full of water and still viable.

This tells us that the cores in reactors 1, 2, and 3 are no longer inside the pressure vessels, and are likely outside of their prospective toruses. Fukushima Daiichi is less than fifty meters from the Pacific, and less than twenty meters above sea level. This leads to the conclusion that radiation contamination is ongoing indefinitely. One must remember that all radiation exposure is cumulative and does bioaccumulate.

Reactor 4 was entirely empty at the time of the earthquake and tsunami on March 11th, 2011. It was undergoing repairs and inspections. All of it's fuel was stored in it's SPF. The building was severely structurally damaged during the explosion of Reactor Building #3, compounded by the Magnitude 9 earthquake and tsunami. There is discussion that the building may collapse in another significant earthquake exposing all of the fuel in the SPF to the atmosphere instantly. Some stabilization work has been done on Reactor #4 building, but it isn't likely to handle another significant earthquake.

Reactor building 1 is so radioactive that people can not survive inside the structure for any meaningful period of time. Reactor building 2 has been entered and video taken of the inside of the dry well. Radiation is still high in that facility. Reactor #3 is not able to be entered. It was using a different fuel known as MOX. It's a combination of uranium pellets and plutonium oxide pellets. It is believed that this fuel was partially ejected from the structure into the atmosphere and onto the surrounding area.

A loss of power to the site most directly effects SPF 4, and reactor buildings 5 & 6. Not much is known or mentioned regarding these last two reactors. They did not experience hydrogen explosions in Mar 2011, nor is it believed that meltdown events occurred there. There is suspicion by some that damage occurred to those reactors as well, but they have been largely ignored.

There were 1479 fuel assemblies in SPF#4 and 548 new ones that were ready to go into the reactor once work was completed. If this building collapses and all of the fuel assemblies are exposed to air, the zirconium oxide tubes that the pellets are in would immediately begin to burn. Once this happens, the pellets would be exposed and when bunched together, can produce a recriticality. That's a nuclear reaction on the surface in a completely unprotected manner. It's essentially the worst thing that could ever happen. The melted cores of units 1, 2, & 3 are at least partially contained either in the torus or below them in the ground.

The reality of the Fukushima disaster is that the Pacific Ocean is being continually polluted with radiation. The water TEPCO is pouring into the reactors is not staying there. It's leaking right out. The buildings are so close to the ocean that there's every reason to suspect that it's making its way to the ocean. All of the fish and marine animals are being exposed to this and they do not remain in the immediate area. The sea water itself is being contaminated with primary and daughter products. You have to worry about many different elements. Uranium, Plutonium, Cesium, and Strontium are just some of the biggest ones to watch for, but the list is actually extensive. Cesium acts like potassium in the body and is primarily absorbed into muscle tissue. The heart is directly affected by it. Strontium acts like calcium in the body and is absorbed into bone. It causes leukemia. Plutonium is one of the most toxic things on the planet. A particle the size of the tip of a pin is enough to kill you. Uranium accumulates in tissues and bones, and has been shown to cause liver cancer, or kidney cancer.

If there is one thing I could say to everyone here on ATS, it is this. Stop eating seafood. I know most of you like it. I strongly urge you to stop eating it completely though. It bioaccumulates in fish, lobster, crab, etc. All radiation exposure is cumulative. Remember that.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
"...Just Fine?"

An admitted unknown situation and a considered response is "...Just fine?"

It's like a four-engine 747 losing all four engines and as it sinks its inevitable way to the ground, the pilot is on the intercom, telling the passengers that while there is a minor emergency at the present time, surely, everything will be "just fine" as soon as they can figure out the problem and start an engine or two, or three or four.
Rest assured he says in closing, "We'll get to the ground one way or another."

Sometimes you don't know when someone is reading through rosy-lensed glasses and sometimes you don't know a disinfo agent when you come across one.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bpg131313

Actually we poop out most of the radiation we ingest. Most of it passes right through, some of it stays in for a while before being passed, and a small fraction stays in past our expiration date.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
NHK: Another fuel pool loses cooling system at Fukushima Daiichi — CBC: May take days to repair

enenews.com...

Workers at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant scrambling to fix broken cooling system in 3 reactors

Workers at the tsunami-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan are trying to fix a crucial part of the plant that stopped working today.Currently the cooling systems in [the fuel pools at] reactors one, three and four are not operational and representatives from TEPCO are unsure how to fix them. However TEPCO says it should have a solution within a few days and that the fuel rods stored in the pools will remain safe for at least four days without fresh cooling water

www.cbc.ca...

Blackout halts cooling system at Fukushima plant

Tepco] said the blackout took place shortly before 7 PM on Monday. [...] They added the blackout has interrupted the cooling system for another pool containing about 6,300 rods. It has also affected part of a system that disposes of contaminated water. [...] The officials will reportedly begin restoring the cooling system once they discover the cause of the interruption.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The risk of [a] tsunami exceeding design basis [was] not considered. Therefore no preparation was made for eventualit[ies] such as “simultaneous and multiple losses of power” and “[station blackout] including DC power supplies.” No operational manuals were in place for recovering instrumentation equipment and power supplies, [primary containment vessel] venting, etc., in such conditions.

TEPCO did not take precautionary measures in anticipation that a severe accident could be caused by a tsunami such as the one [in March 2011]. Neither did the regulatory authorities.

Source

The extent of the damage is at least in part due to a lack of preparations in the event of a tsunami. This is a very seismically active area, which begs the question, why build a nuclear power facility with no preventative measures for a potential tsunami when the possibility was inevitable?

Japan had long tried to establish a permanent storage program for the nation’s spent fuel, to no avail.

Source

So, they built (poorly designed) nuclear power facilities in seismically active, tsunami prone areas, with no safety measures or even operational manuals on the subject, and with no plan as far as permanent spent fuel storage goes, which they knew they would need eventually.

The only reason that anything is even close to 'just fine' over there, is because they have been lucky enough so far to not experience another high magnitude quake in close proximity to the site.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

No, I consider the fact that there hasn't been a major release since the earthquake "just fine". The fact that this could have resulted in it sitting there spewing massive amounts of radiation for years, and didn't is "just fine". I never said the entire situation was under control, or that it wasn't bad. I said that they have, for now, contained and stabilized the release of radiation from the reactor. Learn the difference there.

What do you call the fact that this reactor was inches away from a total meltdown, or worse, and yet in two years hasn't seen a single large release? I'd say that's pretty good work comparatively. Yes, the situation is far from under control, but in a disaster like this, one thing at a time, or you end up doing a lot of things, which accomplish absolutely nothing. Controlling the release was the first step. Working on containing any further meltdown is the next step. Running around screaming "It's going to destroy the world!" accomplishes nothing. Sitting here going "oh my god we're all doomed" is fear mongering. Understanding how much worse it could have been is being informed. This could have been so much worse than it was. It was handled badly, and it has the potential to become much much worse, but I'm not going to sit here freaking out about it just yet.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
The extent of the damage is at least in part due to a lack of preparations in the event of a tsunami. This is a very seismically active area, which begs the question, why build a nuclear power facility with no preventative measures for a potential tsunami when the possibility was inevitable?

You just described all of Japan. So what should they have done, built something that required them to rely on other countries for resources? We saw what happened with that in the 1930s. Nuclear power allows them to be self sufficient as far as power goes.

The only reason that anything is even close to 'just fine' over there, is because they have been lucky enough so far to not experience another high magnitude quake in close proximity to the site.

7.3 in December with 8 aftershocks
7.1 twice in April 2011
Multiple 4.7-5.1 in the last 3 months
6.2 3 months ago
7.0 July 2011

I'd say those were pretty strong quakes, and yet there was no major release after any of them. There hasn't been a major release since they stopped the initial release after the initial release was stopped.
edit on 3/18/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
So they are planning to destroy the northern hemisphere with reactor 4, the one with all those full fuel rods, going off?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jiffy

Now that was the scariest and most alarming post I have read so far today.

I usually keep an open mind and positive outlook on these types of close calls, but you are right, and it made me think about where the rad pills are right now...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Yes, it's still severely damaged, but I don't know anyone that operates nuclear power that has a comprehensive plan to repair a facility that is still operating that has suffered the extent of damage that Fukushima suffered.

Greetings:

An excellent argument as to why nuclear power should be phased out and replaced by an energy future that is nuclear waste-free, sustainable, benign, democratic and economically feasible.

[color=magenta]Peace Love Light
tfw
[color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join