It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just In: Blackout at Fukushima Daiichi — Cooling at fuel pools stopped, all power’s been down 3h

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
s.wsj.net... basic changes throughout the world...SMH...I guess that must have gotten lost somewhere in translation I suppose.

edit on (3/19/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Rad Journal - Fukushima

radjournal.com...

Quite a bit of information chronicled here in stories as recent as March 18, 2013

March 18, 2013 Japan Diplomat: We don’t know what’s happening underground of Fukushima reactors — Potential accident remains now (AUDIO) March 17, 2013 CBS: Those Fukushima reactors are still releasing radioactive material into ocean -Expert (VIDEO) TV: Tokyo is very contaminated from Fukushima disaster — Many people have left already (VIDEO)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
what i don't get about this whole nuclear screw up is that in a totalitarian regime like the USSR people lined up in the TENS of thousands to try to save their country and by extensions the world but the democratic and supposedly honorable people of japan do nothing but send 50 people(the fukishima fifty should be praised) in and if memory from the japan thread is correct rounding up homeless to try to stop it,in the land of the rising sun land of samurais and honor why have they not stopped the problem? why are they not lining up to die for the betterment of their nation

tepco and their ilk will bring a thousand generations of shame upon their families for not acting for the good of their nation and the world

shameful truly shameful

Watashi wa sen no sedai no tame ni anata no ie ni habikoru haji o negatte imasu
私は千の世代のためにあなたの家にはびこる恥を願っています

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I am living on the Island of Kyushu to the south and so far no one here seems all that concerned yes some minor protests and that's about it my intake of nori (seaweed) has increased alot and I try to buy food stuff from foreign import markets,but one can never be too sure as somethings marked foreign are packaged here,but I guess no one can truly be safe anywhere as the radioactive dust can spread around the world.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
According to the latest news stories, cooling has been restored completely to Reactor 1 as of 14:20 and partially to Reactor 4, and they expect to have cooling restored completely to Reactors 3 and 4 by 20:00 tonight (3/19)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I cross my fingers, this sounded really serious.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by daryllyn

TEPCO planned for an earthquake, and a tsunami at Fukushima. Everything worked just fine, but the tsunami was much larger than predicted. The systems weren't designed to handle a tsunami that large, happening that quickly after the earthquake, and it flooded the pumps. The system went into automatic SCRAM at the first sign of the earthquake just as advertised. The fuel rods were inserted into the cooling tank to slow the reaction from taking place, just as advertised. The pumps were flooded too quickly after the tsunami broke the retaining wall that was in place around the plant, and that's what started everything off. Hydrogen built up quicker than expected, but when the workers returned to the plant it was still salvageable at that point, by venting the hydrogen. But when the pumps were turned on, to try to cool the cores, there was a spark which ignited the hydrogen.

So everything would have worked as advertised, if the tsunami had been of a size that was modeled when the plant was built.

Nobody plans for a 9.0 quake, for one thing it's beyond our tech to handle such a thing
Too bad the mainstream media is too busy kissing either the black popes or Obamas butt that they are missing the biggest news since WWII, maybe ever.
A big fan of nuclear power, but this is beyond the pale, just too much of one cluster***k after another for anyone to handle.
This thing is going to irradiate a good chunk of the world if it gets outta hand.
Where in gods name is help for this? A lot of Obama voters in California and Hawiea, they are finding out just how
'capable" he is in a crisis, and of course its the medias main job to make him look good.
Why am I a fan of nuclear power?. Even with incompetents running things it is still controlable, just have to get a handle on it

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by steven2977

I'm not a fan of Bobo as many here know, but the Japanese are not taking much help from others, so I give Bobo a pass on this one, as even a dictator may not be able to assert themselves over another nation in such a manner.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
UPDATE: COOLING SYSTEMS RESTORED

Cooling restored at 2 Fukushima reactors Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has restored cooling systems for spent fuel pools at 2 of 3 reactors affected by a power failure at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

SOURCE

Call your buddies, apocalypse has been postponed.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
After reading some of these comments, its almost as if you WANT something bad to happen.

Glad its over.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Navieko

Wow, people seriously need to learn to take sarcasm, and figure out what jokes are.

I have no intention of trying to kill threads, and I hardly enjoy it, so yeah, try again. And so sorry for posting a differing opinion than most people have when talking about Fukushima.

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't let this pass.
At the top of your avatar, does it not say "Thread Killer Extraordinaire"?
But you have NO intention of trying to kill threads....and hardly enjoy it?
What is it then? A mission?
Just trying to clarify.
jacygirl

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Go start on page one of the Threadkillers Anonymous thread, and read all 129 pages of it. The link is in my signawture. No I don't set out to do it intentionally, and no I don't enjoy doing it. I guess people don't understand humor anymore.
edit on 3/19/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Why havent the rods been removed to another undamaged plant or storage facility?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Because moving them before they reach a certain point in the cooling prices is....twitchy. It could actually be worse to move them now than to leave them there.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Phewwww that was close! But now, can all the world concentrate on solving the Fukushima problem? Next time it won't forgive us and if it causes massive damage we only deserve it!
edit on 19-3-2013 by tyltyl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
UPDATE: COOLING SYSTEMS RESTORED

Cooling restored at 2 Fukushima reactors Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has restored cooling systems for spent fuel pools at 2 of 3 reactors affected by a power failure at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

SOURCE

Call your buddies, apocalypse has been postponed.

yeah...and TEPCO is fully trustworthy, and they would never lie....right.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra
reply to post by bpg131313

Actually we poop out most of the radiation we ingest. Most of it passes right through, some of it stays in for a while before being passed, and a small fraction stays in past our expiration date.

Greetings:

What a statement!

Too bad you can't back it up; unless, of course, you have some evidence to back up such a preposterous postulation.

[color=magenta]Peace Love Light
tfw
[color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

reply to post by FyreByrd

There are multiple sources for numbers, but just looking at the initial release, and not an over time picture, Chernobyl was still much worse. Over time, it might reverse, due to them not containing the reactors at Fukushima, but just talking about the initial release event, Chernobyl wins hands down.

Yes, there are a lot of things about the atomic bombs that are still classified, that make people wonder, and it's no surprise that cancer levels have increased in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both through increased understanding of cancer as compared to pre-WWII, and due to elevated background levels.

Again, nuclear power is a necessary evil, that until we have something better, we have to live with.

I could concede (mind you I said could) that Chernobyl initially expelled more radioactivity and volume of radionuclides; however, the Soviets (and I remind people it was still the USSR) did a massive public work at get cost of lives to physically contain the source and the Japanese (and by extension, the US and the rest of the nuclear club) have done nothing to contain the problem. You can't just keep throwing water on the problem and expect it to go away - it never goes away.

Which brings me to "Nuclear is a necessary evil" - I don't happen to believe so - I believe that is propoganda of the highest order, the old "Atoms for Peace" crap. We can do without it.

PS - I wasnt' speaking about cancer rates surrounding Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I was speaking about global cancer rates and the exponential increase thereof since those "Atoms for Peace".
edit on 19-3-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet

'Most' of the fuel rods in pool 4 are spent rods. Reactor 4 was prepping for refueling, when the quake hit, and it's 'new rods' were in the cooling pool at that time. While the new rods have not been in service, which makes them 'more dangerous', they are the more dangerous of rods in the #4 pool.

Greetings:

While the new rods have not been in service, which makes them 'more dangerous', they are the more dangerous of rods in the #4 pool.

Completely untrue - disinformation at it highest form.

Shame on you. Why do you make this stuff up?

If you feel otherwise, please provide some element of PROOF to your ridiculous claim.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

tfw

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

reply to post by intrptr

And when I stop getting called out to prove that Chernobyl had a worse initial release, I'll stop bringing Chernobyl here.

Greetings:

Obfuscation.

Why are you so hung up on the word: 'initial'?

Chernobyl was 10 days - Fukushima is at 739 days - 24/7/365 uncontrolled releases.

Oh, that's right - cold shutdown makes it 'just fine.'

FALLOUT CLOCK - Time since Mar 11, 2011 2:46 PM Fukushima

tfw

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join