It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just In: Blackout at Fukushima Daiichi — Cooling at fuel pools stopped, all power’s been down 3h

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

They use the water in conjunction with the adjustment of the position of the rods to control the temperature of the fuel in a functioning reactor.

In the current situation (meltdown), this process has been disturbed. The fuel has reached a temperature hot enough to cause a steam explosion if it contacts water. Steam is water expanded by 1700 times. When that happens suddenly, the effect is explosive.

In the tanks where used fuel is stored they are constantly cooling the water to offset the heating effect of the stored fuel rods.

edit on 18-3-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's not you Zap, it's the PR BS you believe that folks are reacting against, you sites your sources, and im sorry to say.. yeah those sites are indeed PR driven dribble, or dis-info nonsense (you sited BIN?really??).

There's more *don't shill me bro* going on here than necessary, somewhere in all that back and forth about nothing relating to the OP is some truth.. but it's hard to see.. sad really.

You may be right, There may be nothing to worry about here.. but that ISNT what the past tells us, thats the main reason big C is brought up time and time again,,,, they told everyone "it'll be fine" then too.... that turned out peachy huh? We don't believe a single word they spout purely because they have lied so much in the past on FKU, and they will continue to lie as long as lying isn't a punishable crime (via the death penalty..) or similar consequence they personally have to face other than "you say this, they believe that, you come to work again tomorrow, you still get paid"

Those folks.. the ones who "say things" things that we believe, have been caught out from day one over this.. that's why no-one wants to hear the same old "she'll be fine" ... sry.. she ain't fine, and radiation of any sort scares folks for good reason, many dont know they are just afraid.. but i know.. and i'll bet a few of you do too just what Radiation can do.. both short term (large dose) and long term (medium/small but extended) exposure..

The simple truth is... it's well beyond OK. sad really... 20 years ago maybe if the gov's of the world pushed iodine down our throats daily or in our water.. but not now.. FKU and big C sit ontop of a already dangerous "background level" and add to the long term in a global sense.. it takes 100's if not 1000's of years for all that crap to be safe, it's in your atmo, in your clouds, in your rain..... you can follow?? and has been since WW2 (other say before.. but we'll go down the sane understandable road here).

It doesn't take alot to tip that "safe" level over in 2013.. but meh.. Reactor go bom bom. pretty fireworks... whats for lunch?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Thank you for helping me understand

~2nd: my favorite number of the alphabet is blue~

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
reply to post by ipsedixit

Thank you for helping me understand

~2nd: my favorite number of the alphabet is blue~

That would be O, correct?

I don't want to derail, but in Rimbaud's poem Vowels, O is the blue vowel.
edit on 18-3-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xarian6

So, doing like everyone else, and grabbing sources (which btw, were sourced to show people claiming that this would end life as we know it, so yeah, I grabbed BIN), is a bad thing now. Man I wish I could keep up with the rules here.

Not all the sources, or places I'm getting my information from are PR sources. Some of them are other message boards, which linking to is frowned upon, so I'm having to paraphrase them, and cherrypick information from them, without directly linking to them.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

When the fuel rods have melted and turned to a mass of molten Corium it appears very much like lava. If it encounters water it would spit and pop, maybe "cavitate" underwater like lava does too. Heres a similar demonstration of what a molten mass of melted fuel would "appear like", on dry ground...

and submerged under water...

Remember, I said "sorta like".

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by maxrockerfella

well not to get in the way of your bigotry and idiocy but we kind of did bomb the ever loving crap out of japan with conventional,incendiary and nuclear weapons during ww2 so i guess that kind of ruins the crux of your argument

they are one of if not our most important Asian ally and really don't get the hatred for the Japanese its been what 50-60 years since ww2 get over it man they are our homies now and unlike alot of countries at least in the old days the people America went to war with almost all turned into some of our best allies you know like great Brittan(revolutionary war/1812) japan(ww2) Germany(ww1,ww2) and Italy(ww2) hell even Vietnam is warming up to us in the face of Chinese aggression

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Can anyone give me an update on the situation?

I've seen a lot of back and forth discussions over details of Fukushima. We need to be giving the ATS readers the newest and latest information on this.

I'd like a "SITREP" as to actual events and news over this from the ATS community.

Anyone?

Can someone post the newest info and review the past facts for us?

edit on 18-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: idk

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Update: power still out at Fukushima

Herein Tokyo officials have assured local residents that there is nothing to be concerned about... Right.

posted three hours ago.

I wonder if this blackout has any relation to the CME which reached Earth today?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

Thank you for the link!

This is what people I know that aren't on ATS need to hear!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'm also bringing a bit of data about the spent fuel pools. The difference between a nice clean functioning one and the green hued photos of what #4 looks like after the accident.

Spent fuel pool #4

Fuel racks are missing due to having melted down to the bottom of the pool already. Debris from the explosion litters the top of the rack storage area in the pool making it difficult for eventual removal of fuel rods for evacuation from the site. This is a priority goal for the Operator (Tepco) because the condition of the concrete lining of the fuel pool has been weakened by explosions and ongoing earth tremors.

Thats the debacle here. Any further structural failure to the pool lining from earth tremors may allow water to leak out of the pool. Any interruption to the water flow within the pool could also result in a further melting of fuel rods. Keeping the fuel cool until it can be safely removed from the pool(s) before it becomes too hot from either structural and or coolant failure and begins melting again.

May 11, 2011 Inside the #4 fuel pool. Racks are missing having melted and collapsed to the bottom of the pool. Note the "bubbles" (production of hydrogen gas due to uncontrolled fission). It is not likely that the fuel pool could explode from further melting of fuel in the pool. It is no longer contained in a 3 foot thick, reinforced concrete building. The last build up of hydrogen from melting fuel in the pool blew the top off of that.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Maybe BIN isnt the best source of anything really.. lol im mean really.. if i was to believe anything there i'd be fighting of alien pope clones whilst trying to protect my reptilian masters from the Annunaki slaves... oh wait... me bad,,, that's here lol

You just cant believe anything you read Zaphod
my personal understanding of what the makes radiation a bad thing stems purely from big C , i studied/researched for years on the surrounds and main accident as a personal mission, i was curious at the start (thanks to a certain *and might i say awesome* game) but the reality is far scarier than any FPS game could portray... that place.. scares the begebes out of me.

How it was handled... makes me almost swear to never let *that* happen ever again.. I know this was a different reaction but the leaking and fuming is much the same, if not worse.. imagine the new *red forest*.. somewhere in japan, there's *Red forest* mk 2.. but the Damage control is still in force and real data that may help contain this problem wont be released for many years... that isn't the way to solve this, but it's what we see.. tons of red tape.. not alot of fixing.. more red tape, exclusion of outsiders who could help.. Damage control to save careers.. but it'll destroy the land on which they govern... it's nuts!

As far as being fine though... we along way from fine
i wish i could swallow that, but i know better.. and that thing is way to close for me (Australia) i'd like to see it sealed, but i know that's dam near impossible as it is way too close to the ocean and as long as it stands there... leaking it's crap.. it's a threat to the entire earth.

and now.... another problem, more malarkey on some thing that was "fine" (apparently.. if you believe them folks) 2 years ago.. lol.. even big C isnt "fine"
we lost the roof last month, and folks *peed a little* that was meant to be a sealed brick by now... Gov's and red tape.. should have nothing to do with reactor cleanups.. at all.. it should be a worldwide solution to a worldwide problem.

All i really saying is.... ok.. not a cause for OMG doom!!! but also not a cause for bickering and fighting either.. it is a problem, much more than *they* will tell you as many of them are to blame.. so we fight, but we aint to blame.. they win, we divide.. we shouldn't fight over this, it effects us all... unless your from krypton? and if you are.. i have a job for you.

It's certainly something to watch.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Xarian6

I'm well aware you can't believe everything you read. However, for proving a point about how absurd some claims are with regards to Fukushima, BIN is perfect.

Fukushima was handled horribly, we can all agree on that. But it's also not the "oh god this is going to destroy Japan" or worse that so many people say it is. Radiation fear mongering at its finest.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida

By Danielle Demetriou in Tokyo
2:48PM GMT 18 Mar 2013

One fish, a greenling measuring 38 cm in length, was contaminated with 740,000 becquerels per kg - more than 7,400 times the recommended government limit regarded as safe for human consumption.

The discovery is likely to reignite fears that Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant may still be leaking radioactive contamination into the ocean more than two years after it was damaged in a major earthquake and tsunami.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 18-3-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

I truly believe this situation has been down played since it happened. we've been living in Lala land for two years now...at least the majority of us have. Perhaps this will open some more eyes...something that can't be spoken away, nor veiled behind our sports and bad comedy shows. I'm not too hopeful on that, but I try to stay optomistic.
edit on 18-3-2013 by Pleiadianwaves because: I didn't add my words

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
They should drop a couple of small tactical nuclear bombs on it and blow it apart. The radiation from a couple of small nukes is nothing to what will be released if the plant remains as it is. There won't be any need to worry about the fuel ponds as they will be distributed to the point that none of it is very dangerous (relatively).

Leaving the plants in the state they are is FAR more dangerous long-term.
edit on 19-3-2013 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Tokyo Electric Power Co said that pool temperatures were well within safe levels at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, and that pools would remain safe for at least four days without fresh cooling water. The utility was preparing a backup system in case the repairs didn’t fix the problem, Masayuki Ono, an official at operator

Tokyo Electric Power Co, told reporters. “If worse comes to worst, we have a backup water injection system,” said Ono.

At least there is a plan B in the works in event that they can't get the power on soon enough.

The fuel pool for Unit 4, which contains spent and new fuel rods, had risen to 30.5 degrees as of 10am on Tuesday from 25 degrees before the power outage

Source

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Is anyone else excited for this??!!!!

I know i am.

We should start a pool of cool names for all the monsters and mutants that will start popping up soon..

I think i will call mine George.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I was about to say.. If they were so irresponsible as to not have a backup system in place this long after the accident happened, someone should be not only fired but jailed for being so stupid.

I would have no less than ten generators on site with at least 3,000 gallons of fuel and a whole trailer full of pumps. Knowing what could happen if those rods were exposed.. Chernobyl ten times worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join