Empires and Civilisation.

page: 1

join

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
There is a theory that history runs in cycles.People have not changed that much and so societies and the way they interact differ little ,therefore revolutions,civil wars,and other great historical events recur again and again.
I have become interested in this theory and ,with the collective knowledge and help of ATS members ,I hope to explore it further.

Empires are different in many ways but I have drawn up a number of benchmark stages that all empires appear to go through.

a)Security:Before an empire has the chance to evolve there is a momment when the country in question suddenly gains a greater degree of national security which changes the view of it's people from looking inward to looking outward.

b)Projection of power:When that country first projects it's new found power abroad.

c)Dominance:When the country dominates the known world around it.This may could also be the height of power which could precede start of decline.

d)End of Empire:The momment it starts to become obvious that empire is over.

Taking these basic benchmark dates we could learn if the length of empire as a whole or the time between these stages show identifiable patterns.What these patterns will show,if they exist,is up for discussion so,for that matter ,are the dates that we use.

The Empires I have chosen are Greek(for arguments sake I am saying that infighting between states was similar to internal politics today.I'm sure Estragon will put me right.
)The Romans,The Holy Roman Empire(though this may complicate things)The British,and The Americans(I know many disagree that the USA is an Empire but if anyone is today then it is them and besides that projecting the results may be the most interesting aspect here.)

Greek:
a)500bc (Battle of Marathon)?
b)
c)323bc(Death of Alexander)
d)200bc(Roman invasion)?

Roman:
a)275bc(Battle of Benevento)
b)
c)
d)

Holy Roman Empire:
a)
b)
c)
d)

British:
a)1588ad (Spanish Armada)
b)
c)1885ad (generally excepted aprox date for height of Empire)
d)1948ad (British leave India)

USA:
a)1812ad (Second war of Independence)
b)
c)
d)Not Applicable

Simply copy and paste the above and add your dates explaining in brackets why.If you disagree with a date I or another has supplied then leave the other date there and add yours before again explaining your reasons.

What might we find ?

Well,we may find empires exist for a similar time or that the length of an empire diminishes with time if the second is the case then can a ratio be found and if it could be found could it be considered the rate at which civilisation itself is evolving?
Anyway I really hope you help me out here.
Cheers.

[Edited on 11-5-2003 by John bull 1]

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   
A fascinating topic, J-B. Search a chap called Spengler (if I may be so bold). He was very strong on this cyclical approach and also on the idea that it was slowly moving westward, with America as the destination.

new topics

join