It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Success cooking Venison & Bacon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
well my Son went hunting and came home with some deer. Thx to Jamie Oliver I found an online recipe that was quite simple to use.

I followed the instructions but the 1st roast was imo a little dry ( I think because I have a fan forced oven) so anyway, I just cooked another one and this time added some herbs and garlic etc and only had temp on about 110 degrees instead of the 180 previously.

You can't see underneath it and it is just as well cos I have been picking at it whilst waiting for the vegies. lol
It is delicious and very tender

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Wrapping venison in bacon is the best way to do it.
From my guiding days I literally lived off Venison.
It's a dry meat so I either stewed/curried it or served with a sauce. Braaid (BBQ over wood or charcoal) I would put it in a roasting dish with a lid that has the base covered in olive oil and braai spice and shake it up to take the dryness from it.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Thurisaz that looks wonderful and that good i can taste it
i always put my roasts on really low as in the end they just fall apart with juiciness and the bacon sometimes needs it so the juices can blend in with it. s/f

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
oh thx so much for replying. It lay dormant for quite a while and then it occurred to me that perhaps People don't care about venison or bacon?

not

we have eaten it all and my Son is going out again soon and it is funny cos it is way too expensive to buy so I was like... "go on, get! get out there and bring the venison home!"

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Have you ever tried biltong? Its huge here in South Africa. If you get a lot of venison I'll post a recipe.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by snowbeast1

oh thankyou...I have never heard of Biltong and yes, my Son is going out again this w/e so should have lots more. Any recipes would be very much appreciated.

edit on 23-4-2013 by Thurisaz because: typo

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I've copied a basic recipe off the net. First time quoting on ATS - Go gently

Ingredients needed: Beef/Venison
Rock Salt
Coarse Ground Black Pepper
Coarse Ground Coriander
Vinegar (preferably Apple-Cider vinegar)

First, be sure to sterilize all your hooks, knives, and working surfaces by washing well in hot water and soap. Get some half-inch thick strips of beef/venison Make sure it's cut with the grain. The pieces should be about 6 inches long. Liberally sprinkle rock-salt on each side of the pieces of meat and let them stand for an hour. The longer you let it stand the saltier it will become. After the hour, scrape off all the excess salt with a knife (don't soak it in water!). Then get some vinegar - preferably apple-cider vinegar, but any vinegar will do. Put some vinegar in a bowl and brush (do not dip) the strips of meat with the vinegar - just so that the meat is covered in the vinegar. Hold the biltong up so that the excess vinegar drips off. Then sprinkle ground pepper and ground coriander over the meat on all sides. If you want that special tasting biltong which you remember from back home, then you may like to try the special spice mixtures used by South African butchers which is available from our online store (UK only) at www.biltongbox.com... These spice mixtures give excellent and consistant results with no salting necessary - just sprinkle the spice on, and hang.

www.biltongbox.com...

That would be your most basic recipe.

I do it a little different.
I get a large bowl and add the meat in then throw course salt in. I don't measure I do it by feel. I make sure it all has salt on. I leave it an hour. I then lay a sheet on the ground and tip the meat on it and by hand scrape the salt off.
Clean bowl and put meat back in.Then take pieces and run them through the vinegar (not all) and put them back and mix the meat in the bowl until all the meat changes to a lighter colour.
I mix my spice all together in one bowl and add it to the bowl of meat slowly mixing it.
You'll need to make S hooks from wire then thread each piece on its own hook and hang it to dry.

The outside goes blackish and it shrinks alot so make the pieces largish.
I like mine pink on the inside but you be the judge.

I would try the quoted recipe first as its a sure way to get it right then play with the recipe. Add chilli spice, sugar or anything you like really.

My way was when I was a Guide and would have to spend the day doing a whole kudu or eland and those are large buck (deer)

Enjoy it
we sit with our own sticks and knives and carve pieces while we chat and have a beer or watch sport.

If you have stewing pieces I'll give you a hand with a potjie (poy kee) recipe - also a South African legend

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

thank you so much for the recipe. I am definitely going to try it out next lot of venison my Son brings home.

and I will post a pic up
cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Out of interest, when you say venison what animal does your son hunt? When you say deer is it a collective word? We use the word buck for venison but there are a whole lot of different buck out here (blesbok, kudu, eland etc). I've never left Africa so sorry if it sounds silly.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

hi again

It is deer that he hunts and the meat over here in Australia is referred to as venison.

he went out on the weekend but didnt get anything...
next time

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
That looks amazingly good, got my stomach growling now! I love venison, and of course bacon, well bacon speaks for itself.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
it looks different of all. and yes beautiful as well.

new topics

top topics

join