It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about free masons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I don't have anything against free masons, and from what do know about them I don't think there is anything nefarious about them.

I'm just curious if they consider freemasonry as a type of religion, or do they consist of different religions, or are they atheists?

Cheers guys

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
In order to be a member of the Freemasons you must believe in God, a man, an adult, and become a member on your own free will. Freemasonry is not a religion but similar to a fraternity. Here is a link for more information.
Masonry Questions

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaded27

its a brotherhood...

but most of these so called secret societies are said to have some sort of jewish core

peace

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

From the research I've done at face value they accept anyone with monotheistic beliefs.

Some of the European lodges may have a preferred religion.. But that's another story.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

You should learn to use the search function. Anyone can find the answer to your question and everyone on ATS knows that when you start a Mason thread you get bombarded with ATS 'Masons' and your thread fades into obscurity before you can reply to the first response.

I'll sum it up for you...it's not a religion. They are a group of 'good'ole boys' that pretend to hold secrets but really are as lost as you and me with regard to any secret knowledge. It's an excuse to get away from their wives and practice crony capitalism.

Sympathy S&F!

edit on 17-3-2013 by seabag because: YO' MOMMA!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

You might want to check in the Secret Societies forum? In fact, you might be interested in what the Icon is for that whole forum.

Some of the established members and others here are Masons. I imagine many of your questions have answers sitting in there, within past threads? Just a helpful thought.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Thanks for that info. I'll check the link out.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
And thanks to the other replies.

What a great community. Get answers straight away.

Cheers again guys

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

No problem. The Freemasons are actually a good bunch of people. Do not believe all the conspiracies against them.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Yeah, I don't think they are anything bad.
I see every race, religion, organisation etc the same. There are good people and bad people in all of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

We're not a religion, but one must have a belief in a supreme being to be a member. Essentially we require to have a faith, but the Fraternity does not define that faith; it's up to the individual member to define that for himself.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason

We're not a religion, but one must have a belief in a supreme being to be a member. Essentially we require to have a faith, but the Fraternity does not define that faith; it's up to the individual member to define that for himself.

Can you tell me why?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

Thanks for your answer, nothing against you guys, but I'm not looking at joining. It just crossed my mind as I was driving today.

I don't have a religion, I don't even call myself an atheist. I call myself a free spirit.
I know what's right and wrong and I treat everyone equally and with respect.
It doesn't mean I don't believe in a "god" just that if there is he/she wouldn't want me worrying about what happens when I die and or devoting my self to a building or group. As long as I respect and treat all life with compassion and live my life as best as I can.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shaded27
I don't have a religion...

As long as I respect and treat all life with compassion and live my life as best as I can.

That about sums up my position.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
They are a group of 'good'ole boys' that pretend to hold secrets but really are as lost as you and me with regard to any secret knowledge.

When have any of us here ever claimed to have 'secret knowledge'?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
my grandfather who was a police officer in the uk in the armed unit along with his brother were both freemasons, they dont disclose much but as someone stated above its very much a brotherhood. but i also think there are also other motives and perhaps at times some could view them more like a cult.

Regards...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA

Originally posted by KSigMason

Can you tell me why?
Because who am I to tell you that your beliefs are wrong? No mere mortal should try to claim to know the true nature of God. Your guess is as good as mine. As long as you believe there is a God, then who are we to quabble over what to call him or how best to worship him? Let's just agree that he exists and wants us to be good, and then work together to do those good deeds for our community.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You could call it a religion. They all must share the doctrine and dogma of a supreme being.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
He may want to view "a cowan's tread" for secret knowledge.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Are you asking why we tolerate people of different faiths?

No problem.

I don't judge people's religious beliefs unless they are jerks and try to, metaphorically, deepthroat me with their religious beliefs. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

reply to post by Schrödinger

What doctrine and dogma is that?

join