It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where is the best place in the world to live ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
But you know Canada is hard to get a work permit for British these days.

WHAT? Seriously? Since when?

To the topic New Zealand and Scandinavian countries come in as the best places to live. Seriously. A UK citizen has a hard time getting a work visa in Canada?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hi Intrepid, well yep .. I looked at transferring my qualifications over because it said I qualified with enough points for a visa.

But the hassle is unbelievable - you have to get references from like 8 places etc etc and the cost was prohibitive.[ not for the visa for the professional qual transfer / approval]

In Australia it is very easy to get work permits and PR which is why so many British go there, I can go there, but I wanted to go to Canada for a year.
edit on 19-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Sorry but that pisses me off. We're OK with Sri Lankan that bring their war here. Jamaicans and their gangs. Asians the same but a Brit can't get a work visa?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

But where can we go in 2013 to actually make some money and have an easy lifestyle for a few years ?

I live on an island off the West Coast of Scotland. It is a beautiful magical place. Old and ancient. The people native to the island are gentle souls and renowned for their hospitality.

You can make some money here. We rely heavily on the tourism industry. I love it up here.. For me it is a simple peaceful way of living life. And where I am on the island is almost a no-mans land so we can do whatever we want.. We do not get any bother from authorities.. We can just live.. Its great..!

The only thing is that it is remote. And the weather can be very harsh. But other than that I think its the best place to live.

NB: If I really had it my way I would move to the Borneo rainforest to care for the orangutans..! But I have my dog who is getting older and other commitments...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

fluff that sounds lovely .. and I would not need a visa. Which island ? I understand if you do not want to say here so is it west coast or east coast ?

Addit : Oh I see West [
] I will have a look to see which one

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I know. It is the same in Britain.

Well I also have family there. My dad's uncle on his fathers side and his uncle on his mothers side emigrated there in the 1940s after the war. So my dad's cousins are Canadians and their children .. and my great uncles. It is annoying. Maybe I should pay the Canadian Embassy a visit in London and ask them what the real deal is v messing about online.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
Well I also have family there. My dad's uncle on his fathers side and his uncle on his mothers side emigrated there in the 1940s after the war. So my dad's cousins are Canadians and their children .. and my great uncles.

We might be related.
Nan's a war bride. Mum was born during the war. It's a sad frickin day that commonwealth people can't live in commonwealth countries. It used to mean something.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

you never know. ..
and I agree- wouldn't it be great if there was free movement for Commonwealth citizens between countries, even on a temporary visa level for say 2 years.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

The Isle of Lewis.. In summer if the weather is right its pure paradise..! White sandy beaches aqua blue sea and huge big black and terracotta cliffs..! Its like being in the Caribbean but without the exotic plants and animals..

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Oh gorgeous - I had a 'friend' once from Lewis , many moons ago

Did you know there are 97 islands in Scotland and many more around the British Isles, I did not realise and just looked it up on wiki and I realised or remembered that I used to live on a very lovely one in West Sussex, when I was little

Is there work on Lewis though ?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Aye there are many floating around the coast..! I have lived in the UK all my life.. But I have lived in Scotland for the longest period now and dare I say it.. But I think it will work here. And hopefully I will not move for awhile..!

Yes there is work up here.. Mostly in the tourism industry. But there is other work too..

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You have found your nivana .. lucky you

I would love to have a southern hemisphere haven in the winter [ winter in NH ] and keep a permanent base in the UK but have the money to go live in Canada for a while - I long for wide open spaces

Oh and wilderness .. where there is aliveness and vibrancy and the air tingles with life and just a frisson of danger ...

Bit like when I was in South Africa and got chased by a rhino and thought my days had come .. luckily I jumped behind the acacia bush and the rhino did not follow - I was terrified .. he was inches from me and I could hear him snorting and breathing and pawing the ground.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Lol thank you

Oh and wilderness .. where there is aliveness and vibrancy and the air tingles with life and just a frisson of danger ...

It is pretty alive up here..! And on a windy day theres nothing like walking atop the cliffs..! Obviously not too close

Bit like when I was in South Africa and got chased by a rhino and thought my days had come .. luckily I jumped behind the acacia bush and the rhino did not follow - I was terrified .. he was inches from me and I could hear him snorting and breathing and pawing the ground.

Oh wow..! It was clearly not your time to go that day. What an experience..!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The legend of the Shangari-la = Shambhala, between the Mount Everrest and Holy Mountain Kalish

top topics

<< 1   >>

join