It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where is the best place in the world to live ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hi Folks,

I ask this question very sincerely. It seems to me that we are sort of stuck in the countries we are born in to a great extent. In years gone by, even in the 1980s it was relatively easy to move country and seek your fortune.

For example my family are all English - but over the past 100 years many have lived and worked in or emigrated to South Africa, America, Canada, so I have family in all those countries. My generation seemed to have headed for Australia, France and Dubai.

For British people it is relatively easy to live in Australia and I think New Zealand, also they can live and work anywhere in Europe.

Anyway Europe has gone down the swanny and has never really recovered from two nasty wars - ie the EU or the EEC was born from the post war years and a movement to politically harmonise and get rid of the ' nation ' state, the ideology believes that this will prevent any future wars.[ yea right ..]

Europe is not likely to recover - it is up s+++ugar creek without a paddle..

But where can we go in 2013 to actually make some money and have an easy lifestyle for a few years ?

It seems to me that these days it is very hard to go to Canada or America and from what I read life may not be so easy these days as compared to days gone by.

Any ideas ?

edit on 17-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Theres no easy way out these days

Probably better buying a caravan and claiming to be a gypsy as you can easy make 1k a week cash in hand and if you go really nasty by stripping train tracks and churches you can make stupid money

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

There must be somewhere I can go for a year and make some good cash in hand ? I want to earn some cash and have an adventure. Say save 30 k in a year ?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I would love to live in Tampa, Florida. I was watching an episode of Lockup where they said "with an average of 361 days with sunshine a year." That is amazing. Because I love the sun and getting out. I'm from Sacramento, California and you only have a few months of spring and summer. The rest is bitter cold and depressing weather.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Are you single etc and 30k is a large amount in a year most people earn a hell of a lot less due to it having to cover the rent etc

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Reminds me of the story in the 70s when a couple wanted the safest place to live (away from the cold war).
They looked all around the world and then decided with much research to move to the safest place- the Falklands.
This was just a few years before the conflict!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

But moving to the states is not easy for British people these days, not if they want to work.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Are you single etc and 30k is a large amount in a year most people earn a hell of a lot less due to it having to cover the rent etc

I know I want to live rent free somewhere - I am serious.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

yes point taken. I was thinking of working somewhere for a year. You know how the ice road truckers make a fortune - what can I do where I can earn decent bucks with no living costs ?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Camp cook in forestry or oil fields? Housekeeping (live in?) ?

Do you like kids? English nanny?

I can't think of any other rent free types of jobs, and they'll insist on a work permit.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Nannies pay rubbish wage though - camp cooking umm where can I look into that. If I cant get a work permit - not much use though. Near impossible for Britains to get work permits for Canada or US these days [ if it is there ]

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

www.fortmcmurrayonline.com...

Not sure how much is on that site, but it's a starting point. You might be able to send someone an email asking questions.

That town is where the big money is over here. Its the main oil field area. I don't know anything about getting work permits, but if you can get that, there might be something in tourism, hospitality, child care.....
I'm not sure what a camp cook would be listed under, but I know they make good money.
Everywhere in that town in the link makes good money, oil town, crazy cold.

It's really cold though. Northern Alberta. Expect -40 Celsius for half the year.

For forestry, you'd have to google BC or Alberta forestry and just research, find a company that might be able to answer questions.
BC is a lot warmer than Alberta, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get work.
Most jobs available, are where it's cold - not as many people want to live in the cold places.

Good luck

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

thanks

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I also remember years ago, I used to work with a woman that had come over from England, as an English nanny.

There were actually wealthy people hiring specifically "English" nannys, because they were more "proper" than the rest of us, lol.

I don't know if there are still such agencies for nannies to be hired over here anymore.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

You mean ' Norland' nannies and yes they are trained for the elite. www.norland.co.uk...
But you know Canada is hard to get a work permit for British these days. Like most places it has shut the door to western europeans.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Canada seems to have shut the doors on almost all immigrants, I think.

I always liked the looks of Australia. Except for the big bugs. Other than poisonous bugs, I would love to live in Australia.

New Zealand also looks gorgeous, but seems to be an earthquake zone. Maybe only parts of it?
Those would be my choices, if I was able to move.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
NICE PLACE WOULD BE ALASKA in the USA, but in my country POLAND that would be great to live in a village close to the capital city.
edit on 18-3-2013 by AnnieWolf19 because: one letter

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Hello,
I'm in Canada....my parents came from England. Apparently they flipped a coin, either Canada or Australia, lol.
I have known a few people here who left and moved to Costa Rica.
I don't know enough about Costa Rica to give you any information....but perhaps you might want to look into it?

As for making decent money, do you have skills that any particular country/community may be lacking in? It seems to me that if you do some research, you will find your direction.
(I don't recommend flipping a coin lol, but I'm happy with how it turned out in my family!)
jacygirl

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Toronto(Canada) is nice.. but its starting to become like New York City..... maybe in the next 10 yrs.
edit on 3/18/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Annie , Jacy, Lucid and Snow - thank you for your tips

I would LOVE to go to Canada for an adventure and some well paid living, but I would be lucky to get a visa.

They do not like the British in your foreign office, visas hard to get, getting professional qualifications accredited - expensive and a big hassle.

I think Canada must be one of the best countries in the world.

Aus is an option for me as I do not need a visa but I want a change I guess.

Costa Rica sounds interesting .....is the pay good and the cost of living cheap ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join