It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Seizures? Calling all dog owners, please.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by turboneon

The whole pack dines on exactly the same diet. Gravy Train. Bought in 15 pound bags. Sometimes, I buy another brand, Alpo, but it's blended in with the remnants of the last bag. There's nothing there that would cause seizures, as all the dogs would have them. Diet, I would think, is not the issue. Symptoms would present within the whole pack. That's not the case.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wish I could give you something more than just a simple star for your sagely words of wisdom, but you've gotten that, at least.

The decision will be rough, but, yes, we are waiting till Friday to decide. We will provide care for him. He is our friend, the Alpha of the pack, and he deserves no less.

This just tears my heart out.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

You are another reason why we should have a Pet Forum. You've had the experience, and could relay advice.

I thank you for contributing to this thread. Saying goodbye to a best friend is SOOOO very hard to do. While not easy, I am trying to come to grips with reality, yet every time I do, tears pour.

I don't want to accept the fact that I may have to put him down. While tears drip from my face, it's something I must address.

Not ready. Not at all.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon4m05

That was one other concern, that was ruled out by the blood tests, Storm does not have Epilepsy. His 2 hour plus seizure was not related.

Your input is appreciated, and thank you for contributing.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Storm is the oldest which is why he may be showing signs. My wife's family feeds their dogs conventional dog food and they all start developing diabetes and seizures around 7 years of age. That food is equivalent to us living on Mcdonalds. I wish you the best of luck. Not at liberty to discuss it specifically but you should look into what humans may use for seizures if they want do not want to try conventional meds. Either way some ground turkey will make storm happy at least for the moment and shouldn't be to hard to get down.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Please keep us all updated with any news!

my little munchkin likes your Storm - I showed her a full screen version of one of your pictures and she wagged, although she has always liked the bigger boys (she is a small-medium)

Spend as much time with him as possible, what ever happens he needs you now more than ever.

Also, you can spoil him rotten with ultra tasty easy to swallow food - scrambled eggs, minced beef, flaked tuna, buttery jacket potato (without the skin) etc etc
edit on 17-3-2013 by siliconpsychosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

That was one other concern, that was ruled out by the blood tests, Storm does not have Epilepsy. His 2 hour plus seizure was not related.

Epilepsy cannot be determined by blood tests, the subject needs to be connected to an EEG machine to measure the brainwave patterns.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Dear Druid, my heart breaks for you and Storm. I have been in your situation and it still brings tears to my eyes on most days. I just wanted you to know you have another person out here that is thinking healing thoughts for you both. Please let us know how this turns out?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Druid, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet dog's health. Storm is just so young. I've read that side effects can last for days, and maybe that is what has happened with him.
I pray that is all it is.
www.hilltopanimalhospital.com...

Our husky had a grand mal seizure shortly after the New Year.
I had seen seizures before, but I totally freaked. That is the only one she has had so far, and I pray that continues.

Just reading what you are going through brings tears to me...and a lump in my throat.

At this point, as hard as it is, you need to wait for what the vet has to say. I cannot imagine why Storm is having such a difficult time...and I hope the vet can tell you and that it is good news.

Sending love and hugs.
And, our Emily sends a wet kiss to Storm...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Twenty one years ago plus....I had a cairn terrier mix breed dog. He was getting older and had seizers, passed out and stopped breathing. My father did CPR on him...short quick breaths and massaged his heart. We took the dog to the vet and he was put on heart pills. He lived to be seventeen. He was very old in dog years and we loved him.

I would go to the veternairians and see what they say. Don't feed chocolate to your pet. I once saw a whole other list of foods people eat on the internet that are poisonous to dogs. It is the hardest thing on Earth to watch a loved one be ill. I am sorry. Best of Luck to you and your sweet dog!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I had a poodle who started having cluster seizures and was put on the same drugs, tho had to go to the Vet Clinic if they wouldn't stop after a phenobarbitol pill. She lived for many years with only a few seizures here and there. She lived a fairly normal life. Tho she did not experience the prolonged paralysis symptom, I believe I have heard of it and it may pass like the Vet. Dr. told you, I hope this is the case. Other than that your love and strength, every day care and good nutrition, and ALLOWING the dog to have as normal a life as possible from here on out is the BEST outcome what ever happens.

I wish you and your canine friend the best. Keep hope!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

I'm sorry if someone already asked but what was the blood work definition ? I would also take another sample now to another Vet to make sure the results are equal? Also have you had your other dogs blood work even 1 other dog sample tested to see if they are measured the same? I know some dog food recall was issued 'China' made dog food but as you stated no other pack members are showing signs? In short another vet different dog blood match. Check for poisons and head injuries..
for Dogs/Animals !!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
You know this dog better than anyone. You have shared years of love and joy. You will know if and when it is time to let go. Storm is a beautiful dog!!!!!

I had to make the heartbreaking decision to let one of my cats go years ago. He was 19 years old and I refused to see him suffer any longer. We were down to force feeding him and he still wouldn't eat. He was very old, had health problems and had lived a very long and very happy life. It was heart wrenching to see him go, but I knew it was the best decision for him as he had no quality of life left.

Believe me, you will know what the right decision is in time. Much love to you and Storm!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

OP,

Many of us feel your pain and share your sadness.

I have asked for and even started a thread in request of a Pets/Animals forum with a growing interest from members but so far, no results.

Animals/Pets Forum

Perhaps this thread might help in pushing the idea forward?

So many of us have an affinity for our pets and nature in general. How can ATS NOT have this forum?

For Storm...Have faith. As you can see, we are all with you.

Thank you for sharing.

Jude11
edit on 18-3-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

oh bloody hell that is terrible. I am so sorry to hear this has happened.

I have a friend that had to give her dog 'Crosby' pills because he would have epileptic seizures. He was fine and lived a long life, difference is, Crosby had a mild seizure and was not paralysed after...doesn't sound good at all for Storm. Seems that there has been a lot of damage done when he had the major seizure.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

yes I agree. I know this is a conspiracy site but animals can see and hear things we cannot. I trust my pets even when they are barking and there is 'nothing' there... you know what I mean.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I had a dog for many many years that had seizures, the only thing to do
was try to comfort him, it did not end up killing him but the poor thing
was always so terrified when he had them, you could literally see in
his eyes that he wondered if my wife or i was doing this to him which
just broke my heart, they would pass after a few minutes usually
and he would take awhile, maybe 3 or 4 hours to be back to normal.

The vet said there wasn't much that they could do unless we had huge
sums of money to spend and we were never that well to do so we
did everything we could within our means, a strict diet helped lower
the frequency of them, he would have them every 3-6 months or so.
I miss that little fella he was a great dog, and what an attitude he
had, one of the best dogs i have ever owned to be honest, i just
wish i could have done more to ease those, it is such a heart
wrenching thing, my thoughts are with you.

Also i wanted to add that we had three dogs all together all eating
the same thing and neither of the other two had any issues what
so ever with it, dogs just like humans can be sensitive to certain
things, i would at least try changing his diet maybe, there is
of course no guarantee that this will work, i had a friend who
rescued a dog and it had seizures because of physical abuse
it suffered in the past, so far as i know only surgery can fix this
issue and its a huge gamble at best.
even if he hasn't been
abused by a past owner a bump on the head can cause this

edit on 18-3-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Hey man, beautiful dog. I have a 13 year old Beagle named Toby, who is one of the most amazing people I know.

He has had seizures for the last 3 years- Currently, the medication he has been on has been helping greatly.

I will find out which medication he is on, and send you the names of them in hopes that it may open a dialogue with you veterinarian as a possible alternative.

I'll either U2U/Message you with the details, or send another reply in this thread.

But I wish you the best of luck with your companion, they deserve the best we can give.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Do you have a college around you?
We are lucky to have a big one near us.
If they have veterinary training, more than likely they have a Vet teaching hospital.
The reason I'm asking is that they can and usually will run every possible test available, that most vets don't have the equipment to run. It may be a little pricy, but when it comes to having to make the hard decisions, we went with this option to make sure we had every possible answer we could have.

I'm so sorry your Storm is going through this. It is so hard to watch the ones you love suffer.
I will keep happy thoughts for you both!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Sad news...

Dogs eating their own faeces can cause seizures along with ingestion of slug pellets, rat poison also we once had an epileptic dog which was controlled through pills.

Hope all works out for you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join