It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Seizures? Calling all dog owners, please.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

This thread is in General Chit Chat, BTS, and not ATS, nor is there any conspiracy involved.

This thread is not about TPTB taking your dogs.

It's about neurological disorders in dogs, and also serves as another plea for a "Pet Forum" on ATS, somewhere in the BTS area, so pet owners can communicate information and knowledge more readily.

The topic of a "Pet Forum" has been brought up before, and so far, the stance has been that it would be a fluffy forum full of cute pics, but in this thread, you'll find that I'm seeking sound scientific advice, and would like to have an area on BTS that allows me direct access to other member's valuable information.

ATS is about member provided content, and as a pet owner, I'll ask other members to flag this thread, so it doesn't fade, perhaps coming to the attention of the owners once more, and if you are a pet owner, you are one of those that see the validity of having a Pet Forum in BTS.

My heart goes out to all those other pet owners that have experienced what I am about to post, and any, and I truly mean any advice you have will be sincerely appreciated.

I have three dogs. This thread concerns the 7 year old Husky/GSD mix, named Storm. The others are a Golden Retriever, age 4, named Max, and Storm's son, age 3, aptly named Demon, a GSD with a Husky tail. I sired Storm with an Alsatian, and got two of the litter, and Demon's sister went to my brother, whom he named Kola. Kola has one blue eye, and one brown eye, a trait only found in Siberian Husky bloodlines.

Storm has both blue eyes, and white fur.

He's been perfectly healthy since I Re-Homed him from Craigslist over four years ago, an ad by an owner that had to re-locate. He's been my companion for that long, and was the Alpha of the pack. He was socialized, and vehicle ready, traveling with me wherever I went. He loved to ride, and I've gotten many compliments.

He wouldn't hurt a flea.

He was always there, watching....

And would howl when he wanted out to potty, "HOWOOO", just once, and then stand at attention.

But most of all, he would smile when he slept:

All that has changed now.

Last Thursday, at 2:30 in the morning, my daughter woke me up saying that Storm was having a seizure. We went out to the living room, and Storm was definitely having a seizure, laying on the floor, convulsing, and running in place. In all my 44 years I had never seen such a thing. We tried petting him, talking to him, but his throws did not lend awareness to our presence. We consulted the internet, and the primary advice was to leave him alone, not to move him, and let it run it's course. We did. The advice was not to place your hands near his mouth, because he wasn't aware of what was going on, and he may bite.

He had a series of "cluster seizures", as I am now familiar with the term, where his erratic seizure would be calmed by us petting and holding him, then start back up again. He seized off and on until 5 am, then his body relaxed, and his breathing became regular. The 1-800 number we found online told us to take him to the vet ASAP, and at 8 am, we made an emergency appointment.

He's an 80 pound dog, and I carried him in my arms, as he was breathing normally, but unresponsive. The vet kept him all day, ran his BMP, and the results were his liver ALT was 310, (normal 100), and his blood sugar was low. They tried to get him to stand, with no success, so by the end of the day, we picked him back up, and I carried him back inside our home.

The vet gave us Phenobarbital, and Prednisone (steroid) to administer. We also got Valium to interject rectally if he had another seizure. He has not had another seizure, but his left side is paralyzed. The vet told us he should be up and about on Saturday, and wants to see him on Monday. He's not up and about. It's Sunday. We've tried to stand him up, and his left side is limp and useless. He whimpers.

We've been feeding him, changing the puppy pads because he urinates where he is lying, but he simply has no control over the left side of his body. When we prop him up to drink from a dish, he does, but his head veers to the right, and we have to move his head back to the left. He can't chew, so we have been feeding him canned food mixed with his meds, and he is able to tongue them up, as well as his water.

The BIGGEST question I must ask, with tears in my eyes, is what is the Quality of Life my Storm may have?

He's laying on the floor of my daughter's bedroom right now, unable to move himself, but we reposition him every few hours and feed and water him, his meds on their schedule, changing his bedding. We are hoping for a miracle recovery, yet will update the vet on his condition tomorrow morning.

Any suggestions, pet owners of ATS? Any comments?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Oh, hon. I'm so sorry.

Has the vet offered any hope or advice, long term?

We had an Irish setter that suffered seizures for a couple of years. She was an older dog and they didn't seem to effect her quality of life.

They also weren't anywhere near as severe as what you describe.

Storm is a beautiful dog. I wish I could do more to help, sending love, hugs, and dreams of chasing bunnies your way.

Much love to you all.

link   
reply to post by Druid42

Does Storm have an implantable chip OP?

link   
oh my gosh.

I don't have the words to express how sad I feel after reading this, as a dog owner and lover myself I too would not know what to do when faced with a dilemma like this, other than to talk to your Vet about it and ask their opinion.

But at the end of the day, you know your dog better than anyone so the decision is in your hands. If you feel, in a few days (give him some time he may perk up!) that things are not improving, I know what I would do...

I would make sure he had every food treat he ever wanted - even stuff that's bad for him, lots of fuss, love and cuddles and then I would ask for the deed to be done, remaining at his side for the duration.

I know its not pleasant to think of such things, but you are the voice of your dog and you know him best. Look into his eyes and you will know what he wants.

I feel really bad saying such things, im welling up a little, but you must do what you think is right......but please give him a few days at least, you never know - dogs are amazingly hardy creatures and he may surprise you!

Best of luck, and rest assured you have my emotional support!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Beautiful dog you have!

My last dog (a golden retriever, like all the others that I have had) became prone to seizures over the last couple of years of her life. She had quite a few.

After going around and around with different vets, it became clear that there was not a lot that could be done when they happened.

The one thing that I did find was that when she was having a seizure, cooling her down often helped. So I trained her to lay in the empty bathtub when she was stressed. Its became a little funny, honestly. Any time a few people came over, she would get stressed and lay in the tub. People would always ask where she was (there wasnt a person alive who didnt love that dog). I'd always just say "taking a bath".

Its awful to watch your dog go through these. I know. But you can take some comfort in knowing that there are small things you can do to make them comfortable.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Dogs can have seizures just like humans...as to his quality of life, only time will tell. My guess is that he is tired (sleepy) from the phenobarbital being introduced into his system...its a barbituate after all.

I once had a cat who drank anti-freeze and we rushed her to the vet as soon as we saw it happening. Her head was turned sideways by the time we arrived at the vets. He used this device on her head which sends an electric shock (no greater than a neuron firing inside the brain) and after 4 or so treatments was back to normal. It somehow jump started things inside her brain to get it working properly. The nurses there said they used it to cure headaches and was faster and safer than tylenol, etc. And no, I dont know the name of this device, but it worked....will it work on a dog with seizures??? Havent a clue, but you could ask your vet and may know what device I am talking about....if he has one, it may do wonders, who knows......I just hope your dog is doing better...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
If its like what my dog had then i'm afraid its bad news.......theres nothing for the poor dog and i still blame my parents for not giving me the call when he had to be put down
but at the same time don't give up hope and treat every last moment as a blessing

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Im so sorry to here about your beautiful storm your story and his pics made me tear up...and thats not what I usually do BTW...I have no advise just empathy for you your family and Storm....I hope that you keep us updated and that the next update is about his improvement...Blessings sent your way.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am sorry for your situation. May i ask what food your gods eat?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Your words are warming, thank you, sincerely.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I read your OP with interest and then growing sadness. I was afraid it ended worse, given your past tense wording to start. Although.. wow. I'm thinking about my dogs and ..I can't imagine how you're feeling right now. I've never lost a friend that way. Not where such..uncertain decisions had to be made and I think that's what you're hinting at here and struggling with, isn't it?

It's just my opinion. Worth no more or less than that. In that context....I think I'd have a family meeting, which we almost never do here, and have a serious talk about what happened ..what is happening and the realities of what does and doesn't happen following a stroke. (Left side down? It sounds like it..?)

Oh your little girl kills me. This would be simpler if not with kids, wouldn't it? NO easier...but simpler. As it is, you have to find a way that she's okay with what comes next ...if not help her feel like she was part of choosing it. How? If it isn't though..she may really feel hard about how it turns out.

The ...basic issue, to choose my words here ...is really just basic though, isn't it? Will there be improvement? Can there be? ..and if not...is it fair to extend life or to put the dog to sleep? ...

I debated on this..but I'm gonna say it and heck with anyone who has comments. Hold them to yourself, pls.

if I were in your position..100% straight and honest here. Prior to saying anything more to my child or Vet.. PERSONALLY... I would pull up a piece of carpet in front of my friend and, as odd as it sounds to someone who has never been close to their animals ... I'd spend however long I thought I needed, sharing (I meant that word..not staring. Sharing) in it's eyes to get a sense of ...whether the damage was all physical or whether the choices here really are what has to be.

I wish you strength Op...what a terrible thing to have to handle.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sorry about what has happened to your dog. He is lovely.

I can't give any medical advice and don't want to speculate on this.

It all depends on what the owner is prepared to see, And and not always what the quality of life is. I say this because my landlord has a dog that was injured, it lost one eye and the use of both back legs. This dog pulled itself around his house with its front legs dragging two twisted back legs behind it. I never noticed at first and thought the dog was wiping its ass on the carpet lol, I asked about the eye and he told me about the legs, I petted this dog, and you know what, it's was a living loving dog and apart from the eye, I would not have been the wiser. My landlord said they would not put it down and give him the best life they can, and in my honest opinion, the dog was fine.

I had my dog put to sleep on the other hand. As lymphoma took a grip, there was no hope and I did not want to see or for her, to suffer. You will know what to do.

Blessings friend. stay strong. They become part of the family, I feel your pain.

Wifi.
edit on 17-3-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I never had him implanted, even though it was a 35 dollar option at the vet. As a Husky, he'd love to roam, and several times, he went off on his own.

However, I made a brass ingot to attach to his harness, with his name on one side, and my cell number on the other. Many times after he'd go off on a ramble, within a half hour I'd get a call:

"I think I have your dog."

"I'll be right there. Where are you at?"

See, he'd roam, but then go up to the first friendly house. He'd lick anyone, happily, and since he always wore a harness, he had ID on him. He never strayed more than two miles away, no matter where we were, and Storm and I have traveled together extensively. It breaks my heart to see him in this condition.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

I feel really bad saying such things, im welling up a little, but you must do what you think is right......but please give him a few days at least, you never know - dogs are amazingly hardy creatures and he may surprise you!

I have been bawling like a baby everytime I think about putting him down. I'm calling tomorrow, but telling the vet I want to wait until Friday. I'll do his meds and feedings, but it literally breaks my heart when I have to hold his head up to drink. Holding his head, he's able to drink, but he has no muscular control.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Thanks for the kind words. They are VERY appreciated.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I adopted a dog and I fully understand your situation. I wish the best for Storm.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Thanks for the honesty. I'm trying to postphone the inevitable as long as possible.

This is tough, flowing in and out of being composed.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

another plea for a "Pet Forum" on ATS

I want to second that petition. Please raise your hand with me ATSers.

Do it for Storm.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I am very sorry to hear of your situation; I too just parted recently with a beloved best friend (Golden Retriever). She had an inoperable tumor growing near her spine and it was becoming worse, effecting her digestion, ability to walk, etc. We had one more nice summer with her, spending time playing, and much time just petting and being more close, making sure she had everything she wanted and to walk her whenever she wished to go.

Eventually, however, within a years time it was apparent that we could not let her live in pain. Much difficulty walking, blood in her stool, etc. I wish I could have done anything at all to help her, but she would eventually become paralyzed and, at this point, already encumbered by 2 other operations. We decided it best to put her to sleep...we sat with her for some time before the vet came in, said our goodbyes, and soon, she was asleep. Still it brings a tear to think about that day as I write this. It just feels like a betrayal......but if you must do this, know that it is not. In certain cases, it is the kindest and most caring thing you CAN do. My heart goes out to you friend, and your canine companion.

I did do a bit of searching and I came up with this;

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PHENOBARBITAL:
This medication is a long-acting barbiturate capable of suppressing seizure activity in the brain.

It takes 1-2 weeks to build up a blood level capable of suppressing seizures. This means that the effectiveness of a given dose cannot be assessed before this period. After this time, a phenobarbital blood level should be run to determine the effectiveness of the dose being used. Phenobarbital blood levels, once therapeutic, are checked every six months or sooner if breakthrough seizures occur.

Twenty to thirty percent of epileptic dogs cannot be controlled with phenobarbital alone. If an animal on phenobarbital continues to seizure, a blood level must be drawn.

Seizures

How long has Storm been receiving the medication? It may just take more time. The issue of quality of life is something you must determine yourself; that is, will she immobilized permanently, or is there something you can do to increase mobility?

I truely wish you the best.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

I am hoping for the best possible outcome. Whether full recovery, or release.

The decision depends on Storm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join