Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

QUOTE button should be removed!

page: 2
2
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Originally posted by feelingconnected

Originally posted by Izak4K
reply to post by feelingconnected
 


I'm just trying a new approach. ATS site looks kind of dull and outdated.
I am reading on something that I would like to talk about here on ATS.

Namaste.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)


Lol ok, but I like the quotes. To me it makes threads flow instead of back tracking. I like ats as it is really, maybe I'm outdated
or dull


Not at all, I thought all of your replys were relevant, and nothing you said was dull.

I postulate the op has a problem where he cant see he has already read the quoted material, so he gets stuck reading every line of every post, quotes and all, so it takes him a long time to read and reply.

I suggest, just looking at the quoted material, and making sure you have already read and stored it away in your noggin, then just go to the new post and read it, as the quote is meant for reference, or to highlight somthing said in a previous post.

In short op, I think it is absolutely necessary, and couldnt imagine having to copy paste every time I thought I might need to give reference to somthing in my reply.

Just my opinion of course



I think the issue is nesting quotes, there becomes a point where it becomes unreadable...




posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Originally posted by feelingconnected

Originally posted by Izak4K
reply to post by feelingconnected
 


I'm just trying a new approach. ATS site looks kind of dull and outdated.
I am reading on something that I would like to talk about here on ATS.

Namaste.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)


Lol ok, but I like the quotes. To me it makes threads flow instead of back tracking. I like ats as it is really, maybe I'm outdated
or dull


Not at all, I thought all of your replys were relevant, and nothing you said was dull.

I postulate the op has a problem where he cant see he has already read the quoted material, so he gets stuck reading every line of every post, quotes and all, so it takes him a long time to read and reply.

I suggest, just looking at the quoted material, and making sure you have already read and stored it away in your noggin, then just go to the new post and read it, as the quote is meant for reference, or to highlight somthing said in a previous post.

In short op, I think it is absolutely necessary, and couldnt imagine having to copy paste every time I thought I might need to give reference to somthing in my reply.

Just my opinion of course



I think the issue is nesting quotes, there becomes a point where it becomes unreadable...


I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time, nor the last!



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional
 

No. the OP has picked up a genuine problem, when people are quoting huge blocks of text just to say, in essence, "I agree with all that", or when huge blocks of text from previous quotes are embedded in a post being quoted in the same way, so that the re-quotation goes on indefinitely and the print gets smaller and smaller.
The staff dislike this practice. There is a thread from SO somewhere telling us not to do it. Sometomes "over-large quotes" get removed.
The issue is genuine. I just don't know that the solution offered in the OP is the most practical answer.



edit on 17-3-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
OP moans about quote button.

Proceeds to quote in his/her replies.


A #numbering system although saving space would involve scrolling back through the thread to see the original post that it refers to.

This would interrupt the 'flow' of the thread and sow confusion everywhere.
While huge blocks of often nested quotes are often annoying would it not be better simply for the mods to encourage/threaten posters to only quote the relevant portions of the post they are replying to.

A note inserted above the text box when replying should do it, and a mild mod warning/electric shock could be dispensed to repeat offenders. Bandwidth saved eyeballs eased and OP satisfied.
Winners all round.

Simples. It ain't rocket science.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The quote click needs to remain.
I see so many "reply to" posts without the quote but everytime I see one, I never bother clicking on it because to me, it disrupts the flow of reading in the thread. While I'm on page 15 of a thread, I'm not going to click on a "reply to" post from page 5. However, if the quoted post from page 5 appears in a response on page 15 I'll read it.

I'm relatively new to this site but can someone tell me why the threads in skunk works and general conspiracies don't get bumped under recent posts? I think there should at least be something to click that shows these threads being actively bumped on the main page instead of having to extra click just to get into them. It would also allow for more interaction because a lot of times these threads go dry for days.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueMessiah
 


Both of those forums refresh in the recent posts page in real time.


Have you accidentally clicked on the red (-) symbol on those forums?



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by inverslyproportional
 

No. the OP has picked up a genuine problem, when people are quoting huge blocks of text just to say, in essence, "I agree with all that", or when huge blocks of text from previous quotes are embedded in a post being quoted in the same way, so that the re-quotation goes on indefinitely and the print gets smaller and smaller.
The staff dislike this practice. There is a thread from SO somewhere telling us not to do it. Sometomes "over-large quotes" get removed.
The issue is genuine. I just don't know that the solution offered in the OP is the most practical answer.



edit on 17-3-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

If you are in this thred, then we are too.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
How far would everyone go to compared to my thread as anyone else'es?
Relax, I am testing you.

This "Quote" is not about making u angry.It's there problem!
edit on 17-3-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I feel so bad energy out of this. You have a mind of your own? Don't you?
I am sorry it came up. Delete please this.
edit on 17-3-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K
 

No, I don't agree that this thread is provoking "anger" and "bad energy".
I've seen some very angry threads on this site, and this is not one of them.

Be encouraged.
You've been getting two kinds of response.
One group disagree that there is a problem.
The second group agrees with you that there is a problem, and is trying to explain the point to the first group.
Admittedly nobody has yet endorsed your answer to the problem.
But this thread has been generating a very constructive dialogue, and you ought to be pleased with it.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide
 


Ok I see them now. Guess I accidentally hit remove.
Thanks.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K
 



QUOTE button should be removed! Here is another flaw I found on ATS completely useless. There are several others - homepage is actually outdated for several reasons, but that's not the point.
Why ATS members uses this button, when they can just push reply? Many of them do it only to make a thread huge and impossible to read. It's actually a big deal, when someone quote "for fun" just to make us swap for several pages instead of reading what we want.
I am only trying to help, course that's what I do every single day and I feel it is important.
My suggestion is - give a number to every answer!


This is the only response I feel is warranted...

edit on 17-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I don`t like to have to scroll back to see what the reply is to I would rather see the quote in the post directly above the reply.


Exactly, hell I even wrote a small script that waits a few seconds if I hover over a reply-to quote that links to a different post that is being referred to, so it opens up into a popup container so I can read what is there, rather than scroll around a thread or open it in a new tab... just pops up with the post inside it so I can see what is being said to whom and why. Did the same for youtube videos so I can continue to scroll down a page and watch it if it's worth it, which isn't often.. lol


sometimes people think they're talking to one or two people.. instead of a public forum.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Izak4K
 


I only wish that the reply button opened a new window so I can refer back to what I am responding to. Sometimes I forget. Okay, many times. But, the quote button is fine by me. Sorry.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Originally posted by feelingconnected

Originally posted by Izak4K
reply to post by feelingconnected
 


I'm just trying a new approach. ATS site looks kind of dull and outdated.
I am reading on something that I would like to talk about here on ATS.

Namaste.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)


Lol ok, but I like the quotes. To me it makes threads flow instead of back tracking. I like ats as it is really, maybe I'm outdated
or dull


Not at all, I thought all of your replys were relevant, and nothing you said was dull.

I postulate the op has a problem where he cant see he has already read the quoted material, so he gets stuck reading every line of every post, quotes and all, so it takes him a long time to read and reply.

I suggest, just looking at the quoted material, and making sure you have already read and stored it away in your noggin, then just go to the new post and read it, as the quote is meant for reference, or to highlight somthing said in a previous post.

In short op, I think it is absolutely necessary, and couldnt imagine having to copy paste every time I thought I might need to give reference to somthing in my reply.

Just my opinion of course



I think the issue is nesting quotes, there becomes a point where it becomes unreadable...


I've seen some really funky quoted posts where no matter how hard you try, you cannot fix whatever the person before you, did. And that's when you're pulling the post apart with tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Throw in some errant bbcode and we're done for.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
What I dislike a bit of quoting is how everyone can pretty much do what they want by removing words from quotes and try to debate on things that weren't really said.

This issue happened more than once to me and people end up debating against something that isn't true or that I have had already explained myself in the first place.

But I love the idea of quotes...quotes yes, twisting words no.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by Izak4K
 


I only wish that the reply button opened a new window so I can refer back to what I am responding to. Sometimes I forget. Okay, many times. But, the quote button is fine by me. Sorry.


Middle mouse click and it should open the (any) link in a new tab.?

Unless you're using internet expander.. I have no idea how that hoohaa works, it's foreign voodoo.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by Izak4K
 


I only wish that the reply button opened a new window so I can refer back to what I am responding to. Sometimes I forget. Okay, many times. But, the quote button is fine by me. Sorry.


Middle mouse click and it should open the (any) link in a new tab.?



I didn't know that! Thank you! I'll never get used to it because I'm already conditioned to right click and open new _ It still should be automatic though.



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
OP - i disagree with your premise - i will leave you to figure out what i disagree with and what your coherent response should be

but if i had quoted what i disagreed with - you would know how to respond

thats why we need the quote button



posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj
 


They are going to make an update some time. So everything we feel is going to be possible.





new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join