It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did they remove the Buffalo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I suppose it could apply to many colonial situations where enormous animal migrations were almost driven to extinction (the Springbok herds in South Africa, for example).
However, the almost deliberate attempt to make the American buffalo extinct is legendary.

Then they replaced them with cattle and other livestock.

What was the point?
edit on 16-3-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Greed.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The record shows that the Buffalo was driven to the brink of extinction by the fact that they were not afraid of humans. There are many stories about how train lines would stop or slow down, as part of their run, simply to let passengers shoot the buffalo as they passed. Not even for meat or the hide. Simply for the "joy" of killing.

So to answer your question in a direct manner - they did it out of selfish stupidity.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

2 reasons: To build the railroads and to sabotage the Native Americans' way of life and to starve them out of their lands.
edit on 16-3-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Perhaps, but it seems so silly to remove one efficient species that could have fed just as many people as the cattle that replaced them.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Well to be fair here, the Native Americans did not actually hunt them as we see portrayed in the movies. They usually drove entire herds off of a nearby cliff killing hundreds at a time also. Just google Buffalo Jump, its a generic term given to certain cliffs that were ideal for this purpose.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It was purely for the advancement of the "American" dream to trample on anything that got in the way.
Be it buffalo,beaver,or native American's.
There was land,and resources.
Gold ,coal, then oil.
Now we have fracking to squeeze the last bit out that we can while poisoning our sources of water.

For what?
So we can drive our cars to work and back to work for some big company for little pay to put money into a small percentage of the population.
For the high tech toys and modern conveniences that make us to lazy to even cook,but would rather go through the drive thru at McDonalds for food that is basically poison if consumed to much.

Greed
Lethargy
Gluttony

I'm guilty,I got sucked in.
I'm ready to toss it all for a self-sufficient lifestyle.

It's all a big life sucking loop.

edit on 17-3-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Not being from the US, I suppose that is one truth.

The Native Americans certainly used them as a resource.
They even had seasonal burning to provide grazing, and encouraged the expansion of the herds.
But, even with the arrival of the horse and some firearms, the native tribes never drove the buffalo to extinction.

To think, if all that was managed correctly, even today McDonalds could be selling buffalo burgers.
There were enough buffalo for everybody who wanted natural meat.

edit on 17-3-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I had once heard that the bison grazed too much. So much so that it would effect grazing grounds for cattle, greatly taking away what the cattle would need because they ate much more than the cattle.. They were also hunted for sport.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
A good portion of them really were purposefully wiped out. You can't have an independent people when you are trying to take control of their resources. I see the same thing beginning to happen with our gardens and raw milk now, just on a smaller scale at the moment.

On a happier note, they are reestablishing a wild bison herd around Delta, Alaska. It is kind of neat to drive down the highway and see a small family group of wild buffalo.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

edit on 17-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Actually, they have been brought back somewhat, both in national parks, and raised for meat (which is lower in fat and cholesterol, and higher in protein than beef).

They even have "beefalo" a cow/bison hybrid now, raised for meat.

top topics

join