It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Majors NEED HELP!!! Political Legislations Needed (Patriot Act, Gun control act, etc...)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Hello, I am starting a project I hope to complete this weekend and need some help. Google has proved a very difficult way to look for the information I am seeking.

What I need: I am looking for legislative acts that have used fear as a premise in order to pass successfully. So far I have

The Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798
The Habeas Corpus Suspension Act of 1863
Executive Order 9066 of 1942
The Patriot Act of 2001
Nation Defense Authorization Act of 2011
The Renewal of the Patriot Act on May 26, 2011
And of course the upcoming Gun Control Act of 2013.

Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Remember I am looking for Acts that passed or will pass on the premise of FEAR (Something that hasn't happened but is proposed to happen)

I hope I am being clear enough in my description. In case I am not, Just think about Patriot Act and how that legislation passed - because of the FEAR of future terrorist attacks.
Similarly The Gun control Act will be passed with heavy citations on Sandy Hook (an event where the details of the investigation are still not clear) FEAR of another mass shooting will drive this legislation to pass.

Thank you all in advance!!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
How about the bank bailouts of 2008... we were threatened with martial law if the bailouts were not passed. I forget the actual name of the legislation, and I don't feel like looking it up... I'll leave that to you.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The communist control act is one.

Congress passes the Communist Control Act in response to the growing anticommunist hysteria in the United States. Though full of ominous language, many found the purpose of the act unclear. In 1954, the Red Scare still raged in the United States. Although Senator Joseph McCarthy, the most famous of the "red hunters" in America, had been disgraced earlier in the summer of 1954 when he tried to prove that communists were in the U.S. Army, most Americans still believed that communists were at work in their country. Responding to this fear, Congress passed the Communist Control Act in August 1954. The act declared that, "The Communist Party of the United States, though purportedly a political party, is in fact an instrumentality of a conspiracy to overthrow the Government of the United States." The act went on to charge that the party's "role as the agency of a hostile foreign power renders its existence a clear and continuing danger to the security of the United States." The conclusion seemed inescapable: "The Communist Party should be outlawed." Indeed, that is what many people at the time believed the Communist Control Act accomplished.

www.history.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Gun control uses fear:

The National Firearms act of 1934
The gun control act of 1968
The ASWB of 1994

The Federal Reserve act of 1913.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Woodrow Wilson used fear alot. You should find things from his era (1912-1920). Federal Reserve Act (1913) could probably fall into this category. Banker generated "panics" were used to justify giving the same bankers complete control over our money supply.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by S3rvoV3ritas

I was going to name a few of these. Most are based on some type of fear, which type of fear you choose is up to interpretation.
[url.abovetopsecret.com]AbovrTopSecret[/url]

edit on 16-3-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Awesome. These are all really good examples. Keep them coming if you know more!

top topics

join