It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Giant Jellyfish - How big can they get ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   

In 1865 a giant lion's mane jellyfish was found in the Massachusetts Bay. The bell was 7 1/2 feet and it's tentacles measured 120 feet long and a width of 245 ft.. In 1973, the Kuranda, collided with a giant jellyfish that was estimated to have weighed 20 tons. The Captain of the Kuranda, Langley Smith, estimated the tentacles length to be over 200 ft long. With the aid of another ship, the giant jellyfish was forced off the front of the ship. A sample of the slime left behind was analyzed and found to be from a lion's mane jellyfish. One crew members died during this encounter after being stung by the creature. In 1969 2 divers encountered a jellyfish that they claimed was 150 to 200 ft in diameter. There also have been reports of giant jellyfish attacking small boats and pursuing divers.

• KURANDA link and other strange sea creatures

• Lions Mane Jelly - The largets one ever measured was found washed asgore and had a 'bell' over 7 feet across with tentacles that dangled over 120 feet long ! That's even longer than the world's record largest living creature !
    Extreme Science LINK

• 2002 - Giant jellyfish off Japanese coast in largest numbers in decades - Giant jellyfish with bodies the size of washing machines have turned up off the central coast of Japan in their largest numbers for decades.
    The jellyfish, which are three feet wide, weigh as much as 330 pounds.LINK

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I hope thats a pregnet one, cause if they get that big, I may never go swimming again!

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If anyone has access to old National Geographic's, there was an excellent feature on this in Spring, 2000

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I don't want to run into one of those things while swimming.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 09:59 AM
link   
damn, big enough to eat a man, i think i'll stay away

actually you shouldn't worry about the big ones, they are large enough to see and avoid

it's the microspopic ones that can also kill in seconds that you should worry about

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   
wow being stun by one of those mofo's would be painful i hope my bladder would be big enough

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Jesus!!! Thats one Big A$$ Jellyfish!!

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
That's exactly why I stay out of the ocean...

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The Nomura seems to hold the record: up to 6 ft in diameter, and 220 lbs -on the sources I have.
There's an informative message-board discussion (brief) here:
maillists.uci.edu...

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I shudder to think how many of the b**gers Estragon has eaten.
Jellyfish (hai zhe -" high ser" - "s"as in treasure/leisure)) are pretty much an ingredient of everything out here.
Recipes on request, cyber-chums.

[Edited on 12-5-2003 by Estragon]

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There are giant jelly fish, yes, but I do not think that is a picture of one of them. It is perspective that makes that particular jelly fish look huge. If that jelly fish was bigger than that diver, both would be in focus. The diver is out of focus because he is far away, the jelly fish is in focus because he is very very close to the camera.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
dont worry about the large ones worry about the small ones like the box jellyfish or man of war jellyfish these have the most toxic venom of any animal and they can sneak up on you. On the plus side something as simple as panty hoses can make you impervise to jellyfish stings life guards in austraila wear these where jelly fish are common

ID

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yet another reason people would not go in the water, or if they do they should except the fact that upon doing so they forfeit their spot on top of the food chain. We may be the masters of this earth however the sea is a much different place. The largest creatures on earth dwell in the depths of our oceans and people must understand the risks before attempting to study them. Creatures like this provide us with a perfect example of what our planets life cycle is capable of producing. It would truly be amazing if jelly fish of these great sizes existed. It would also make sense as it is often the largest creatures that have the simplest body structure.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
and people think I'm stupid when I say "I don't like to swim"

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Wow, that picture is amazing. It would be neat to see in person, though not while out swimming.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
HOLY SHIZZLE! i think that i just shat my pants....

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Brrrrrrr scary things, i dont like them either and i deffinitly dont go swimming in sea, got swimming pools lol much safer no strange creature in them.

about those big jelly fish WOW wonder how big they can actully get?

makes you think whats down in the oceans depths....

ID

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

and people think I'm stupid when I say "I don't like to swim"
I am right there with you on this one. I will leave the water to things like this and will be just fine on the land thank you very much.

top topics

join