BBC News - The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon's 'treason'

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon's 'treason'
bbc.co.uk

They also shed light on a scandal that, if it had been known at the time, would have sunk the candidacy of Republican presidential nominee, Richard Nixon.

By the time of the election in November 1968, LBJ had evidence Nixon had sabotaged the Vietnam war peace talks - or, as he put it, that Nixon was guilty of treason and had "blood on his hands".

The BBC's former Washington correspondent Charles Wheeler learned of this in 1994 and conducted a series of interviews with key Johnson staff, such as defence secretary Clark Clifford, and national security adviser Walt Rostow.

But by the time the tapes were declassified in 2008 all the main protagonists had died, including Wheeler.

Anyone who would ever absolve this sociopath of any responsibility in prolonging the Vietnam war or who would ever consider Nixon to be a decent human being needs to reexamine their values...

In a series of remarkable White House recordings we can hear Johnson's reaction to the news.

In one call to Senator Richard Russell he says: "We have found that our friend, the Republican nominee, our California friend, has been playing on the outskirts with our enemies and our friends both, he has been doing it through rather subterranean sources. Mrs Chennault is warning the South Vietnamese not to get pulled into this Johnson move."

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Thanks for the intro. I'll have to dive a little deeper. I can only imagine what will be discovered 40 years from now regarding our last and current President.

I find the Chicago Connections to be a little similar to someone we know

On the White House tapes we learn that Johnson wanted to know from Daley how many delegates would support his candidacy. LBJ only wanted to get back into the race if Daley could guarantee the party would fall in line behind him.

A die hard Texan relying on the Chicago Machine for critical election support .... Wow.
edit on 16-3-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I heard somewhere that President Johnsons wife owed a majority of stock in Bell or Huey helicopters and Johnson wasn't really loioking for an end to the war either.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Thanks for the intro. I'll have to dive a little deeper. I can only imagine what will be discovered 40 years from now regarding our last and current President.

I find the Chicago Connections to be a little similar to someone we know

On the White House tapes we learn that Johnson wanted to know from Daley how many delegates would support his candidacy. LBJ only wanted to get back into the race if Daley could guarantee the party would fall in line behind him.

A die hard Texan relying on the Chicago Machine for critical election support .... Wow.

reply to post by jibeho

Hate to break the news to you, but potential candidates poll delegates to see if they will have the support they need to secure a nomination - that how the political process works in the US for all the major parties (or at least the two we are stuck with). Johnson called Daley to see if he would support him, at the '68 Democratic convention being held in Chicago. Why you would pick that tidbit from the article as somehow scandalous is strange, yet you glossed over the far more sinister implications of Nixon having purposely sabotaged peace negotiations for his own political needs, extending the Vietnam war for 7 more years and costing thousands more their lives.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Just getting to that part... However, LBJ had apparently hinged his decision to enter the race completely on the Support of Daley and the Chicago Machine. Did you miss this part and only focus on the Nixon angle?

Gee Whiz... Sorry if I found this part of the story to be quite telling in retrospect.

He would then enter the convention and announce he was putting his name forward as a candidate for a second term.

It would have transformed the 1968 election. His advisers were sworn to secrecy and even Lady Bird did not know what her husband was considering.

They also discussed whether the president's helicopter, Marine One, could land on top of the Hilton Hotel to avoid the anti-war protesters.

Daley assured him enough delegates would support his nomination but the plan was shelved after the Secret Service warned the president they could not guarantee his safety.

The idea that Johnson might have been the candidate, and not Hubert Humphrey, is just one of the many secrets contained on the White House tapes.

I guess I'll take that flippin' flag back.

ETA

The story does more to illuminate LBJ as the idiot/coward who knew what Nixon was up to and turned the other cheek. He could have sunk him in 1968 election because of it and did not. Perhaps LBJ was in lock step with another darker agenda. Much like we still see today.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is funny.

There wouldn't have been a war to prolong if LBJ didn't insist on getting us into it. We were on course to pull out before Kennedy got shot.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
after that nixon went to china to stop the u.s.shadow government from starting a nuclear war with russia.

not pretty, but it seems to all balance out.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rjbaggins

That's why we went from the very capable Hughes 500 named Cayuse to the Bell jet ranger called Kiowa. I'm still more than curious about The Cheyenne over the Apache thing too.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
SnF, thanks for posting. Nixon was the lowest point in US politics, I wish I could find a link to a good text I had read about this scandal, as it's been known for some time even before the tapes were finally declassified. It was suggested that not only did he conspire with S. Korea to dismiss the peace talks but used it as a means to get concessions from China (ultimately they were involved with N. Korea).

Sadly, this exact type of treason would play itself out again, when Reagan conspired with Iran to delay talks with the US State Dept. and keep American hostages held until after the elections, as that would make Carter very unpopular.

Both conspired with enemy states at a time of armed conflict / war. Both are traitors.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
That was the October Surprise. Engineered by George H. W. Bush and William Casey to hold the hostages until after the inauguration. This was repeatedly confirmed by Iranian ex president Bani Sadr. Clearly treasonous.
Dan Quayle was impeachment insurance.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is totally old news and the conclusions are frivolous. I started investigating the LBJ library some 20 years ago in preparation of the JFK act and am still considered one of the top documentation experts in this era not only in America but also the world. The conclusions from these 'tapes' easily show a lack of knowledge of the era and the war. The claim that Nixon 'sabotaged' the peace effort is so ludicrous and again shows the gullibility of people to believe anything they see on the internet.
There were never any real peace talks because America's hands were empty and had nothing whatsoever to negotiate with. You either leave defeated or else. That was the immoveable line the NVA had as it was clear that American and South Vietnam forces could not only never win the war-every day that past lead to closer to total defeat. Both American Presidents, LBJ and Nixon, just could not bare the fact that the proud and undefeated American armed forces were beaten and only recourse was to leave as losers. The American people overwhelmingly supported both presidents in finding some sort of 'peace with honor' other than out right leaving their allies to face brutal occupation and death at the hands of their hated enemies- sadly, they never found one.
The Paris peace talks were an illusion played up by our European allies as to buy time to try to find some other way out other than capitulation. The deeper, uglier and most unbearable fact was that commanders on the ground had begun to lose control of their solders. These are, in some ways, the same heroic forces that had rescued Europe 2 decades before were now plagued by rampant desertion, drug addiction, wanton sadistic often brutal war crimes against the population they were there to protect and many other classified actions that even I can't print.
The LBJ library in Austin Texas was reopened last year after renovations and digital updates to a new name "Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library and Museum" . Since your source at the webpage didn't even mention the name change-is it really that old? This just adds more to the mental, educational, historic and intelligence lacking of persons who have only the internet in which to find news, and the gullibility to believe anything they see on any web page that support their own warped view of history.
There are many factual, well written, easily readable text on this period that can give you an appellation of what that era had to offer to world history. None of them are on the internet. They are in a medium called 'Books" and they are footnoted and sourced for accuracy. Nick Turse's book "Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam" is a bit overdone and melodramatic however, sadly, quite a bit of what he says is true-not all of it but most.
It is most certainly your right to have hatred of America and it's history and to post in a public forum-what your limited knowledge considers fact-but in reality is nothing more that propaganda and out right lies. Insinuating that President Nixon pompously destroyed the peace talks for political gain is absurd since even today's high school kids know by that time there was nothing left to discuss other than losing.
Again, it is your right to publish in a public forum, misrepresentations about American Presidents, however, it is also my right to squash those untruths and I have the experience, documentation, reputation and credibility among my peers to do so.

post script- Some of Mr. Terse claims-and sources-have been challenged, especially the more gruesome aspects, however most were withdrawn due to the balance of the facts in his favor. Calling our solders the "SS of the 60's" is somewhat over the top and insulting to the Schutzstaffel as well.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

OK, but, isn't that

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Im sick and tired of all this classified corruption, people need to be held accountable while they are alive

No one is above the law.

These people ruin so many countrys, so many lives, there are those that can stop it that wont, no one does anything about it at the time. no one learns anything from it after its been declassified, crooks and murders are still getting elected.

Even today things like this happen the world over, corrupt governments and their agency's bulling and killing anyone who stands in their way. these kinds of people are happy to be living a corrupt lifestyle now but hopefully they will all be left behind in the bottom of the slag pit where they belong for an eternity.

This planet is a test and people the world over are failing it with a big red capital F.
I'm sure the Gate Keeper is defiantly filling his quota.

Love and harmony
Whateva

new topics

top topics

join