It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following complaints, Hagel orders review of distinguished warfare medals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Distinguished warfare medal controversy

Pentagon spokesman George Little said Tuesday said the review was prompted by complaints from veterans groups and lawmakers about its ranking above the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

You're darned right! Vets who have earned the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and Prisoner of War medals actually served and fought in combat. They did not sit in an air conditioned office and fly model airplanes.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Distinguished warfare medal controversy

Pentagon spokesman George Little said Tuesday said the review was prompted by complaints from veterans groups and lawmakers about its ranking above the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

You're darned right! Vets who have earned the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and Prisoner of War medals actually served and fought in combat. They did not sit in an air conditioned office and fly model airplanes.

Well said my friend..well said!!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Do we have a leader as Secretary of Defense or do we have a Senator playing Cabinet member? He has a problem? He calls for a review committee.... Well.. So far, it looks like a Senator playing at it. I hope he finds the ability to lead soon. This is a real bad time for the Department of Defense to have a wimp and follower at the helm.

(What about this required he send others out to review something? It JUST got instituted ...and it's either right or it's not. Does he have no personal conviction or belief on the matter? ... Oh wait. Senator. That's right)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
As a retired USAF senior NCO, and as someone that has actually deployed to a combat zone, I will say that this "medal" is an affront to ANY combat vet... However, to play devil's advocate for a few minutes, I have a few suggestions for awards and decs that I would like to see. I am sure the administration will take these ideas seriously... at least as seriously as we take their new "chairborne ranger" medal:

Power Point 5000 hour medal: Awarded to any enlisted/officer that has to prep slides for staff meetings, member has to prove 5000 man/hours behind a PC with Power Point in active use.
Didn't ask/didn't tell ribbon: Self explanatory. One additional device for every year member was on active duty during the don't ask/tell policy.
Obomb-aService award: Parting gift ribbon to any senior officer or NCO that has been forced to retire for speaking out against the administration. A "McChrystal" device may be added for every public quote from a staffer that indicates Hilary may be more in tune to the situation than the president.
The IHNO or "I have no opinion" medal: Awarded to Pentagon staffers that do whatever they are told with no regards to right or wrong.
Clinton Recon Medal: Awarded to drone pilots that successfully spot and document topless female sunbathers. Bill's idea of course...
Hilary Clinton Medal of Truth: Awarded to drone pilots that successfully spot and document topless females with the former president.

I am, of course, open to suggestions for others

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

That is brilliant! Makes as much sense as the distinguished warfare medal.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have not seen this on the nightly news yet. I have not seen it in the local paper either. I really do not know why drone operators need a medal, I would create a category beneath medals and make it a merit badge.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join