It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lazarus Project Attempts To Resurrect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
A team of scientists, led by the University of New South Wales ( UNSW ), has used sophisticated cloning techniques to revive and reactivate the genome of an extinct Australian frog by implanting a “dead” cell nucleus into a fresh egg from another frog species. Rheobatrachus silus was a bizarre gastric-brooding frog that swallowed its eggs, brooded its young in its stomach and gave birth through its mouth. The frog species became extinct in 1983.

The Lazarus Project team, however, has been able to recover cell nuclei from tissues harvested in the 1970s and kept in a conventional deep freezer since then. The results of this study have not yet been published, however UNSW Professor Mike Archer spoke about the Lazarus Project this week at the TEDx DeStinction event, as well as his desire to clone the extinct Australian thylacine – the Tasmanian Tiger. Source - www.redorbit.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
More attempts of humans playing God. Instead of bringing back extinct frogs, perhaps they should put their scientific gifts to work on a better cause that will help HUMANS.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
More attempts of humans playing God. Instead of bringing back extinct frogs, perhaps they should put their scientific gifts to work on a better cause that will help HUMANS.

Not bad if the can bring Elvis back.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sounds like how Jurassic Park started. Which to my mind at least would be totally awesome

Star and flag OP this is very interesting

edit on 16-3-2013 by KBadger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

They generally start with the animals first and apply it to humans later. I realize there is no way to make what I'm saying here sound ... ummm ... not condescending ... but even if this research is completely unhelpful to most humans, do you often ask tennis players to do something useful?

If not ... I'd probably start with the tennis players. They waste an awful lot of time just knocking this green ball around ... is madness really.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Zombie frogs......Now they need to raise the dead humans of the past so we can have zombie people.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Reply to post by OptimusSubprime

This sort of scientific work could be a double edge sword, while it may help finding new cure or worst a deadly new virus. Anyways the quest for knowledge must go on.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Awesome. In the true sense of the word.
I wonder how old is the oldest useful tissue we have in "stock"...
I know that DNA, even in a well-preserved tissue decays after some time, so there is a limit...

And unless they are creating universes and deciding the fate of it's inhabitants they don't seem to be playing god, the seem to be working science.... Which is like magic with coats.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Trackhunter

The potential for this technology is astounding!

lets hope no one tries to do a Boys From Brazil if it turns out to be compatible with mammals! LoL

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I wonder if this method would work on the frozen mammoths they've found in Siberia. Presumably they could use a normal elephants as the host. That would bring in the crowds

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Reply to post by Apocalypse69

Just hope this Project Attempts To Resurrects only the certain spieces and not some past deadly viruses.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join