It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be your first commandment or tenet of absolute morality?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlackHat
Do what you believe is right, not what anyone else tells you is right, not even what you tell yourself is right..
Deep down, beneath the the random thoughts and ideas that come into your mind, behind all that nonsense, there is a stillness and in that stillness is the truth and the right answer. Be still of mind and you will always make the right choices.
It's a lot easier to live with your own mistakes than the mistakes you made following someone else's instructions.

edit on 16-3-2013 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

Even if doing what you believe is right, you can still be knowingly doing harm.

I offer this catch 22 agin for you to solve if possible.

We live in an evolving world where we have to compete to survive.

When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you did in a sense do evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job.

You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so your commandment FMPOV is unworkable.

If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Where there are safety nets it is not that evil but if someone lives where there is none, not being able to do unto others would be a death sentence.

What I am looking for is a way around the harm that we must all do to survive in a world where competing and doing harm to the losers has to exist.

No one has yet come up with a solution to this catch 22.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by newpopeislast

Believe not in "religion"
because it causes splits within human society which leads to much death and suffering
edit on 16-3-2013 by newpopeislast because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2013 by newpopeislast because: (no reason given)

It does but it is also a unifying force. It in fact caters to our natural tribal sense.

Let me get you thinking away from religion for a bit.

When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you did in a sense do evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job.

You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so your commandment FMPOV is unworkable.

If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Where there are safety nets it is not that evil but if someone lives where there is none, not being able to do unto others would be a death sentence.

What I am looking for is a way around the harm that we must all do to survive in a world where competing and doing harm to the losers has to exist.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire
My first and only commandment would be to stop praising men in the sky that originated in fairy tales, and be more
compassionate and kind toward your brothers and sisters.

Good points but not good enough to break the catch 22 we live under and causes more harm than religion if that is possible.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Make healthy choices for yourself and those around you.

Impossible in many cases.

Like this catch 22.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
reply to post by Greatest I am

Thou shall not infringe upon the personal liberties of others. Live and let live. The world does not revolve any particular person, creed or religion. What we do to others, we do unto ourselves.

I'm not sure if I need to add anymore.

That will do but it is not a good solution although it does sound like good thinking.

Let me challenge your good thinking even more.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

Originally posted by Akragon
Im surprised no one has said... "Love your neighbour as you love yourself" yet...

I think they have as well as the usual variants of it.
Do no harm etc.

Unhelpful for our reality and catch 22.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

yup...

by following exactly what I posted previously...

I would not be doing harm by out performing someone for a job... IF I am the better candidate so be it.... by myself winning said position... no harm was caused...

Disappointment is part of life...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observor
Why commandments? Commandments would mean instructions from someone who doesn't believe the recipient capable of doing the right thing by himself/herself in a given scenario and the scenario needs to be generalised and guidelines for correct behaviour given. Makes sense when the recipients of commandments are children who haven't yet developed the capability to understand the complexity of the human life and society thereby failing to predict the consequences of their actions and hence fail to determine the right course of action for themselves. It is also understandable that primitive societies resorted to commandments (laid out by those recognised as wise) to guide them.

Not sure why anyone would be looking for "commandments" for adults in today's world.

I have no argument but thing your actual definition is on the semantic side.
Man is a rule following machine. That is basically all we do all day and all the time. We wake up by the rules of nature and skip into the rules of man and then back to nature again at night.

Commandment, rule, and law are all synonymous in my mind.

Here is the problem I am trying to solve with our rule following natures as we follow the evolution law or rule of competing.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
1 - Love God above all and neighbor as self because we all share the same ground of being.

2 - forgive the OP his self righteous arrogance and claim to moral supremacy even to the degree of judging God who alone is the Greatest I Am, of all things..

Off topic my ill-mannered friend.

Go do your usual Christian habit of back biting elsewhere.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Im surprised no one has said... "Love your neighbour as you love yourself" yet...

Do no harm etc.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

yup...

I would not be doing harm by out performing someone for a job... IF I am the better candidate so be it.... by myself winning said position... no harm was caused...

Yes but the disappointment you cause at the wrong time might cost someone their life.

I do understand though that you cannot think of a better solution. It is a tough problem and it seems you do not wish to give it the time even as it is the cause of most of the hurt in the world.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Do no harm etc.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

yup...

Yes but the disappointment you cause at the wrong time might cost someone their life.

I do understand though that you cannot think of a better solution. It is a tough problem and it seems you do not wish to give it the time even as it is the cause of most of the hurt in the world.

Regards
DL

IF someone ends their life because they didn't get a job... There are pre-existing issues there... It is not my fault they chose to end their life...

A better solution is not needed... it is THE solution to your issue

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Man is a rule following machine. That is basically all we do all day and all the time. We wake up by the rules of nature and skip into the rules of man and then back to nature again at night.

Commandment, rule, and law are all synonymous in my mind.

That humans are capable of being more than rule following machines is perhaps the most distinguishing factor of humans when compared to the other species. However that doesn't mean all human beings are equally endowed with this capability just as any other trait. If that were not the case how could rules be even framed for people to follow? Whether the source of the rules is supposed to be common convenience or an inviolable authority is what determines whether it is considered a commandment or not. To be considered a commandment it should be context-free. As human experience widens, those capable of thinking outside the rules for determining what is right, invariably find what they once considered to be context-free rules to be no longer applicable in all contexts. The search for commandments is fruitless. The only thing meaningful is constantly revisiting the rules, and revising them when necessary, in order to ensure that they are still relevant for the purpose for which they have been put in place.

There exists no solution for it when you divide the world into you and the rest. Right action comes only when one considers the totality. What is right is right by everyone and everything. The only way to know that is to be everyone and everything at once. It is not a rule someone else can describe and you follow. It is a state you experience or not. When one doesn't experience it the uncertainty about the correctness of one's actions is extremely unsettling. But there is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps that is what leads to that state being present more often than not.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Only need one "Treat people how you want to be treated" If we all did that the world would be a better place.

Let's say, I'm only truly happy when being afflicted with pain and misery.... How does the golden rule hold up then?

My commandment would be....

Do what thou wilt, and accept the consequences.

By this, I mean do whatever you want. And then accept the consequence, whether they be natures consequences, or man's. I as your god have no stake in it. I'm here for entertainment. Anyone got some popcorn?

This is a reworded quote from PJ O'Rourke btw.... If my god commanded anymore, he wouldnt get it... any less and I wouldn't take him seriously. This tenet seems the most eloquent and simple way to put it.

edit on 19-3-2013 by Mykey057420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2013 by Mykey057420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Love one another.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservorThere exists no solution for it when you divide the world into you and the rest. Right action comes only when one considers the totality. What is right is right by everyone and everything. The only way to know that is to be everyone and everything at once. It is not a rule someone else can describe and you follow. It is a state you experience or not. When one doesn't experience it the uncertainty about the correctness of one's actions is extremely unsettling. But there is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps that is what leads to that state being present more often than not.

I say that we are all in this together, alone.

As individuals within a totality, we must still all compete or cooperate. We must do both and the harm of competition will always be with us as we continue to evolve.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saorsainn
Love one another.

Even if you love the one you beat out at competition, he will not care as you may cause him to starve to death if you happen to live where there is no safety net.

Simplistic laws like that of love have never worked and I cannot ever see them working.

Regards
DL

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join