It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be your first commandment or tenet of absolute morality?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Make healthy choices for yourself and those around you.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

What would be my first tenet commandment of absolute morality as God? That would be the promise I make to myself FIRST before all other tenets (as yet to be devined or never). I will reveal myself FINALLY to you humans; on every other Tuesday (Leap Years) between the minutes of 11:59 PM and 12:01 AM to convince you of my existance.

edit on 16-3-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Only need one "Treat people how you want to be treated" If we all did that the world would be a better place.

No it wouldn't. This world is full of mentally ill people, there are examples of people who wanted to get eaten by someone. There are suicidal people, there are people who like harming themselves, etc.

Rape is an example of someone treating another the way they want to be treated...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Thou shall not infringe upon the personal liberties of others. Live and let live. The world does not revolve any particular person, creed or religion. What we do to others, we do unto ourselves.

I'm not sure if I need to add anymore.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
The one law that transcends all laws is love. Love God, love everyone, as God loves you.

Oh you mean like he "loved" the millions of people he intentional killed in the bible....because he didn't like what they where doing....and the ones he designates to hell by way of silly commandments?

Hmm interesting logic

You might want to think about re-defining your idea of what "love" is, and why as a "all powerful god" you would need to give commandments to a creation you supposedly created in your image...which is perfect to begin with right?
edit on 17-3-2013 by RobertF because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Why commandments? Commandments would mean instructions from someone who doesn't believe the recipient capable of doing the right thing by himself/herself in a given scenario and the scenario needs to be generalised and guidelines for correct behaviour given. Makes sense when the recipients of commandments are children who haven't yet developed the capability to understand the complexity of the human life and society thereby failing to predict the consequences of their actions and hence fail to determine the right course of action for themselves. It is also understandable that primitive societies resorted to commandments (laid out by those recognised as wise) to guide them.

Not sure why anyone would be looking for "commandments" for adults in today's world.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
By existing one causes harm, do you not harm the grass when you walk upon it? or the wheat when harvested, the cow when slaughtered?

It's the nature of nature.

My concern is human to human.

So far though I have to agree with your first statement.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

Originally posted by Greatest I am

Originally posted by BlueMule

Though shalt not place your notion of law above the law of the land.

Which land is the one true land?

There is no one true land is there?

That commandment applies to whatever land you live in or visit.

Regards
DL

What if the laws of the land you live in contradict the laws of the land I live in?

That would not change the one commandment. If I go to your land, I have to play by your rules and if you come to mine then to stay out of trouble, you had better play by those of my land.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by xizd1
Love yourself.
It starts there. Easier said than done!

I hope so as it puts you above those you love. Perhaps that is why the usual saying goes love others as yourself.

That would have your moral code centered on yourself and not on others which seems to be what the concensus calls for. It also does not solve the catch 22 of this.

We live in an evolving world where we have to compete to survive. When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you, in a real sense, did evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job. You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so the golden rule FMPOV is unworkable. If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Where there are safety nets it is not that evil to win in a competition but if someone lives where there is none, you not being able to do unto others could be a death sentence.

What I am looking for is a way around the harm that we must all do to survive in a world where competing and doing harm to the losers has to exist.

No one has yet come up with a solution to this catch 22.

Can you?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

It'd be:

'Try not to be a #%&£'

Basically the good part of the bible.

That does not solve this catch 22.

We live in an evolving world where we have to compete to survive. When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you, in a real sense, did evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job. You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so the golden rule FMPOV is unworkable. If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Where there are safety nets it is not that evil to win in a competition but if someone lives where there is none, you not being able to do unto others could be a death sentence.

What I am looking for is a way around the harm that we must all do to survive in a world where competing and doing harm to the losers has to exist.

Can you?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
#1 ... do not allow yourself to be misled.

Even if not misled, one can still do harm. I have a scenario above for how we all harm others as we evolve.

I have put up just above my selection that may get us around this catch 22. Please have a look.

Regards
DL

sorry, i made my post from my perspective without explaning how it relates...

jesus was an alien.

if the new testament ( testament= test of the mind) is read with that pretext then the above statement can be verified, kjv of luke's gospel is a good example.

written by josephus under penalty of death, he incorporated the stories of jesus the alien's, paul the roman's, and the savior's (john the baptist) agendas into the books of the bible he wrote.

i could be wrong.
i could be lying.
or i may not yet have reached the bottom of it, and am not giving the proper explanation.

hence my #1 rule.

yours can be #2
though, if you want.

Jesus was a mushroom to some and Josephus was or the royal hose of the Flavians and wrote for their benefit and not out of fear. Check your history.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
My first tenet of absolute morality would be to love. Always love. Never hate. Always love, always give, and never hate. This is unconditional.

And how does that prevent you from the harm your competing does to others even if you love them?

We live in an evolving world where we have to compete to survive.

When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you did in a sense do evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job.

You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so your commandment FMPOV is unworkable.

If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Where there are safety nets it is not that evil but if someone lives where there is none, not being able to do unto others would be a death sentence.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

So I have a small mind and my morals?
Look you may have a weird God complex but I do not.
You are looking for an answer you think you know already.
Once again who are you to decide if our own commandments are right or wrong.
Pfft greatest I am again you are not.

Who is better at deciding that than myself?

How sad that Christians reject the good news that Jesus gave.

Hosea 1:10 Ye are the sons of the living God.

This makes them Gods W I P. Works in progress.

Unfortunately, most refuse to climb Jacob’s ladder as we all must to find our God within.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Christians refuse to accept and have rejected their predestined fate and be brethren to Jesus and God.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Christian tradition and dogma has taught Christians to reject Jesus. How sad for them.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
reply to post by jacygirl

That's my only self-commandment, too, jacygirl, lol. The way that I phrase it is "the only sin is when you intentionally do harm to others." It basically allows for accidental harm to happen because nobody is perfect and covers harm as a result of vices such as greed, anger, lust, and etc. Came up with that as a teen and I still think it's a pretty good rationale. Nice to see someone else who thought the same way.

I agree that it is not that bad but knowing that you do harm by competing and intentionally winning at that competition you know that you are intentionally harming other.

Let me refresh your memory.

When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you did in a sense do evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job.

You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so your commandment FMPOV is unworkable.

If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Where there are safety nets it is not that evil but if someone lives where there is none, not being able to do unto others would be a death sentence.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
1 - Love God above all and neighbor as self because we all share the same ground of being.

2 - forgive the OP his self righteous arrogance and claim to moral supremacy even to the degree of judging God who alone is the Greatest I Am, of all things..

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

My first commandment would be service to others.

A variant of do unto others.

Not bad but you cannot help but do harm. Let me repeat from above.

An S & M might have quite a different view of what should be done to himself and others.

Regards
DL

Mine necessarily isn t do unto others. By service mean inquiring or evaluating where someone needs help in any way and volunteering to help them in any way. And without the motive to be repaid in any way. Selfless service towards others.

Then you would have to evaluate the condition of those you compete against for resources and usually that information is not available to us or to you. If you were in a room writing a job interview paper and asked about the room for that information you would be either kicked out or told to mind your own business so your solution is unworkable in my opinion.

A catc 22 is damned hard to find a solution for.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
Never lie. Especially to yourself. If you always have to tell the truth about your actions and motives, you will be a better person.

Not lying will not get you out of doing harm when you have to compete for resources to live.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
The one law that transcends all laws is love. Love God, love everyone, as God loves you.

Too simplistic.
Can you love the one who is raping your wife?

Should you love him?
I don't think so either.
If you had a gun at hand, if he did not die then I would question your morality.
So would your wife just before she leaves you.

Back to the problem though.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Im surprised no one has said... "Love your neighbour as you love yourself" yet...

I think they have as well as the usual variants of it.
Do no harm etc.

Unhelpful for our reality and catch 22.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAoxx

I would have to say.....

"Be at peace with ones own actions, unto be at peace with anothers actions"

I do not like those as a rapist or thief can be quite at piece with his own actions.
I know I was when I was a thief.

Break this catch 22 if you can. I can't with anything better than what I offered.

Though shalt follow the law of the land.
This works for me so far as the best but I am bias to my own think of course.

Can you my friend?

Regards
DL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join