It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be your first commandment or tenet of absolute morality?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Too all.

This may be a good time to offer my selection.

Though shalt not place your notion of law above the law of the land.

Religions may have gotten it right if their use of the word God meant the law that the collective has decided is the best single rule to follow. Unfortunately, they placed an individual God that no one can know in place of a collective set of laws that we can all know.

Can I have your thoughts on this law?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
#1 ... do not allow yourself to be misled.

Even if not misled, one can still do harm. I have a scenario above for how we all harm others as we evolve.

What I am looking for is a way around the harm that we must all do to survive in a world where competing and doing harm to the losers has to exist.

No one has yet come up with a solution to this catch 22.

I have put up just above my selection that may get us around this catch 22. Please have a look.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

Which land is the one true land?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

There is no one true land is there?

That commandment applies to whatever land you live in or visit.

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
By existing one causes harm, do you not harm the grass when you walk upon it? or the wheat when harvested, the cow when slaughtered?

It's the nature of nature.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

There is no one true land is there?

That commandment applies to whatever land you live in or visit.

Regards
DL

What if the laws of the land you live in contradict the laws of the land I live in?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Love yourself.
It starts there. Easier said than done!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

It'd be:

'Try not to be a #%&£'

Basically the good part of the bible.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
#1 ... do not allow yourself to be misled.

Even if not misled, one can still do harm. I have a scenario above for how we all harm others as we evolve.

What I am looking for is a way around the harm that we must all do to survive in a world where competing and doing harm to the losers has to exist.

No one has yet come up with a solution to this catch 22.

I have put up just above my selection that may get us around this catch 22. Please have a look.

Regards
DL

sorry, i made my post from my perspective without explaning how it relates...

jesus was an alien.

if the new testament ( testament= test of the mind) is read with that pretext then the above statement can be verified, kjv of luke's gospel is a good example.

written by josephus under penalty of death, he incorporated the stories of jesus the alien's, paul the roman's, and the savior's (john the baptist) agendas into the books of the bible he wrote.

i could be wrong.
i could be lying.
or i may not yet have reached the bottom of it, and am not giving the proper explanation.

hence my #1 rule.

yours can be #2
though, if you want.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My first tenet of absolute morality would be to love. Always love. Never hate. Always love, always give, and never hate. This is unconditional.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

So I have a small mind and my morals?
Look you may have a weird God complex but I do not.
You are looking for an answer you think you know already.
Once again who are you to decide if our own commandments are right or wrong.
Pfft greatest I am again you are not.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

That's my only self-commandment, too, jacygirl, lol. The way that I phrase it is "the only sin is when you intentionally do harm to others." It basically allows for accidental harm to happen because nobody is perfect and covers harm as a result of vices such as greed, anger, lust, and etc. Came up with that as a teen and I still think it's a pretty good rationale. Nice to see someone else who thought the same way.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

My first commandment would be service to others.

A variant of do unto others.

Not bad but you cannot help but do harm. Let me repeat from above.

An S & M might have quite a different view of what should be done to himself and others.

We live in an evolving world where we have to compete to survive.

When you last competed for a job/livelihood, you did in a sense do evil or harm to the losers of that competition for the job.

You could not help doing this harm to the loser of your competition, so your commandment FMPOV is unworkable.

If you would have done unto him what you would want done to you, you would have let him win.

Regards
DL

Mine necessarily isn t do unto others. By service mean inquiring or evaluating where someone needs help in any way and volunteering to help them in any way. And without the motive to be repaid in any way. Selfless service towards others.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Never lie. Especially to yourself. If you always have to tell the truth about your actions and motives, you will be a better person.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The one law that transcends all laws is love. Love God, love everyone, as God loves you.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Im surprised no one has said... "Love your neighbour as you love yourself" yet...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I would have to say.....

"Be at peace with ones own actions, unto be at peace with anothers actions"

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Do what you believe is right, not what anyone else tells you is right, not even what you tell yourself is right..
Deep down, beneath the the random thoughts and ideas that come into your mind, behind all that nonsense, there is a stillness and in that stillness is the truth and the right answer. Be still of mind and you will always make the right choices.
It's a lot easier to live with your own mistakes than the mistakes you made following someone else's instructions.

edit on 16-3-2013 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

What would be your first commandment or tenet of absolute morality?

In comparing various moral codes and regardless of whether you think morality is subjective of objective; what is your choice for the first commandment?

Jesus proposed that the big 10 could be phrased in 2 and placed them in the sequence he thought was the most important. George Carlin also came up with 2 and did the same.

I do not agree with either of their first tenets as worded and wondered what most people would think is the most important tenet.

I rather like the fist tenet shown here but think it rather vague and in need of refinement.

blog.ted.com...

What would be your first commandment and why?

While you ponder this question, please enjoy some comedy.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

Believe not in "religion"
because it causes splits within human society which leads to much death and suffering
edit on 16-3-2013 by newpopeislast because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2013 by newpopeislast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My first and only commandment would be to stop praising men in the sky that originated in fairy tales, and be more
compassionate and kind toward your brothers and sisters.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join