It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SNAKE!!!!! no, just a moth....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There are a many insects that use imitation camouflage, some are extremely evil and would be considered Dr evil levels of cunning.

Theres a Crab Spider that, not only looks exactly like the ants that it preys on, but since the ants have 3 body segments and spiders only two. The spider slices the head of one of its victims and carrys it around on its own head! creepy, horrific and yet elegant.

Natures odd...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I am so lost when seeing things like that. Evolution truly is amazing. how did the genes knew about the environement surrounding the larva in order to use one of the present predator's image to protect it. Mind blown yet again on ATS.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
That is simply amazing in every sense of the word. What a lovely world we've been blessed with.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Gotta give you credit for this one, I have seen a lot of "Insects that look like things" pictures before but this one is in the top three, awesome find.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Uhh...I hate moths with a passion. Though this ones not too bad I guess since it starts off looking like a snake... Nice find by the way, I'm definitely gonna show this to my friends.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So cool. Thanks for posting this. I've never seen that one before!

If anyone is interested, it's called 'mimicry.' If you want to see more examples, just Google things like 'mimicry examples,' 'mimicry animals/insects/fish' etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

me no like moths

but that larval critter is snake looking i have never seen that before

good find

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
There are a many insects that use imitation camouflage, some are extremely evil and would be considered Dr evil levels of cunning.

Theres a Crab Spider that, not only looks exactly like the ants that it preys on, but since the ants have 3 body segments and spiders only two. The spider slices the head of one of its victims and carrys it around on its own head! creepy, horrific and yet elegant.

Natures odd...

now i love spiders so a likn would be nice

or is it called crab spider (ill do a search) ty

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
So cool. Thanks for posting this. I've never seen that one before!

If anyone is interested, it's called 'mimicry.' If you want to see more examples, just Google things like 'mimicry examples,' 'mimicry animals/insects/fish' etc.

Thanks AshleyD..

And yes it is..

still the coolest bug out there....

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diligence
That is simply amazing in every sense of the word. What a lovely world we've been blessed with.

Yes, yes we are..

I think it is amazing too.!!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Insect mimicry is amazing! Check this out:

Sorry...couldn't resist. I'm fascinated by the insect world. One Sunday morning I must've spent 2 hours in my garden watching a praying mantis.

edit on 17-3-2013 by ColeYounger because: spelling!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAoxx
Gotta give you credit for this one, I have seen a lot of "Insects that look like things" pictures before but this one is in the top three, awesome find.

Thank you...now

I would like to see the other two on your list!!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

That is the most amazing moth I've ever seen-- and I love moths... gorgeous share, thanks!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by braunbear

That is the most amazing moth I've ever seen-- and I love moths... gorgeous share, thanks!

you are most welcome..

thank you...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for replying to this thread..

It was a fun and good learning experience!!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I do not think that there are any intentional design behind the thing but that the design was perfected over repeated generations to a point that it has proven to be the most effective. Insects and other small, short lived and fast reproducing examples of life are truly amazing on how they achieve design complexity even social organization in this trial and error format (that includes random mutations), evolutions is so amazing that some people still think its magic...

edit on 20-3-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Has to be magic..

Why would a larva do that?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I don't think we fully understand, the best rational is that over generations that design has simply emerged as the most successful. Note that a sign only has to have relevance to the observer as to have a purpose, there is no need for the moth to understand it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join