Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Musical Genius after being struck by lightning

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
MODS: Did a search on the new search engine and came out empty, if this has been posted before please delete thread!

To begin with, I hardly watch TV that often unless of course it's sports or about paranormal stuff. That being said, I was home after a visit to the doctor when there was no sports I was interested in and just when I was about to shut the tv off, something about Weird or What peaked my interest.

This is the story of Anthony Cicoria, a Doctor who specializes in orthopedic medicine, orthopedic surgery, orthotics, prosthetic supplies, and sports medicine. The story goes that he was at a public phone booth back in '94 when after hanging up and taking a few steps away from the booth, he gets struck by lightning and was pronounced dead by a passing nurse who began CPR.

After a few minutes (not sure the exact time), he came to and declined further medical assistance. Then a few days later, he showed a strange interest in classical music, particular piano music. Prior to this lightning incident, he was a Rock music type of guy. His piano musical interest was so intense that he decided to borrow a friend's piano and without any knowledge of how to play it, he began to practice and practice until it became second nature.

Now, he is considered a professional pianist. All because of a lightning strike.

In the show, people were saying that it must have been within him hidden in his past life experiences and that the lightning somehow triggered that talent.

I have always believed that we are born with all sorts of talent, but it is up to us to actually wake those dormant talent up. In my opinion, Tony (Anthony) sped up the learning process by having the lightning strike help triggered the DNA responsible for it.

Then again, I could be completely off!

Any thoughts ATS?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
its just simply amazing, i mean seriously, maybe the shock actualy rewired soemthing in his brain ?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
What an amazing story, brilliant...

I am a piano player, but not a very good one. I shall have to go to a public phone when there is a storm brewing and try and get struck by lightening.........

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Very cool! I remember hearing this story before.

When he allegedly died, he reported having an OBE:

In 1994, when Tony Cicoria was forty-two, and a well-regarded orthopedic surgeon, he was struck by lightning. He had an out-of-body experience. “I saw my own body on the ground. I said to myself, ‘Oh #, I’m dead.’ …Then—slam! I was back.”

Read more: www.newyorker.com...

I also thought it was interesting that this website claims that people with NDEs after find hard rock music difficult to tolerate:

Sensitivity to light and sound can be a serious issue and may necessitate some lifestyle changes. While most experiencers learn to limit sunshine exposure, others can't get enough. Almost everyone, though, has similar difficulties with loud or discordant sounds. Many can no longer tolerate "hard" rock music. The vast majority prefer classical, melodic, and/or natural sounds, and become passionate about using music to heal.

source: iands.org...

So, his new found gift aside, it seems like it isn't unheard of for preferences in music to change dramatically after a NDE.

Thanks for posting this thread. Very interesting case!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm not going to walk around with a metal rod in the middle of a storm just to test my luck. I think I will just read stories like this one and wonder "what if" instead.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is really interesting and thought provoking. If lightening did wake up past talent, I wonder how we are supposed to do this without this method.

Thank you for a great posting!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
But why is this genius considered paranormal? There are hundreds of people who experience genius after suffering minor brain "damage" e.g.

A beautiful mind: College dropout became genius after brutal street attack and now turns mathmatical formulae into stunning works of art www.dailymail.co.uk...

More of his art here fineartamerica.com... including a bigger version of the one I particularly like…

A Visualisation of the infinite number Pie
fineartamerica.com...

When somebody knows an ancient foreign language nobody taught them, then that’s (maybe) paranormal!
(But as many people who’ve taken certain psychedelic drugs like '___'-mushrooms know) we are all potential geniuses, it’s just that "the fine line between insanity and genius" www.telegraph.co.uk... means evolution has prevented most of us accessing certain areas of our brain. This is perhaps compounded by the fact that we’ve (evolutionarily speaking) only recently been living in societies where CREATIVE genius is truly appreciated –i.e. actually good for genetic proliferation.

I do believe in the paranormal; particularly ghost photos taken on old film (as I’ve seen in a close friends family photo album) but this particular story can be explained by the brain simply re-routing it’s neurons, in order to bypass damaged-healing areas, and thereby opening up ones not normally accessible to our consciousness. Of course most brain damaged people aren’t so lucky –they just end up being like Obama-Bush! Where both chucked off a mountain range, as a baby, in some weird masonic ritual? Could explain a lot!
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Stories like this fascinate me! I believe we all have some inherent talent or broader knowledge buried deep within our psyches. It would be nice to know how to access this hidden (or unused) portion of the brain without being struck by lightning or suffering brain trauma.

I created a thread awhile back about a man who becomes a math genius after getting hit in the head with a lead pipe.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What I find with a lot of music especially when you are making it is this like VOILA!!! moment where you figure it all out and you're able to just fluidly play it for the first time or understand it.

Perhaps the electricity shocked some neurons awake.

Visual and auditory clues trigger empathetic neurons.

In a UCLA study, neurologists Istvan Molnar-Szakacs and Katie Overy watched brain scans to see which neurons fired while people and monkeys observed other people and monkeys perform specific actions or experience specific emotions. They determined that a set of neurons in the observer “mirrors” what they saw happening in the observed.

Could hear classical music, and know where to begin 'mirroring' it.

Could see the basics of piano for what it is, put 2 and 2 together and VOILAAA!!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Anything is possible, we barely know much about the human brain or DNA, I know we know a lot about them but its very small compared to completely knowing. This is not the first time I've read about this happening to people who have had electricity go through their body or struck in the head by some object.

Makes it tempting to take a bath and throw in a taser in hopes of awakening some dormant part of the brain
but my luck I'd have the complete opposite affect...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Very impressive! I heard about Jason Padgett but hadn't come across this gentleman before!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Sounds like he already had a high intellect and the lightning probably shifted the skills a bit. A lot of classical music is very mathematical and precise. Brain damage or brain "deformities" probably work like any other type of deformation in that whatever areas are damaged or deformed will be made up in a different area.

Blind people usually have amazing sense of smell and touch etc., some autistic people are great at other areas even though their communication and social skills are lacking. Just examples.

new topics

top topics

join