It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Is Engineering Genius Babies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I searched for this but didnt find it. Not sure i like the new ATS search function yet...

Well, its only a matter of time before we become obsolete, real genuine humans that is. Aparently China is isolating the genius genome. I have pretty much been waiting for this to happen. Picked this story up off vice.

t’s not exactly news that China is setting itself up as a new global superpower, is it? While Western civilization chokes on its own gluttony like a latter-day Marlon Brando, China continues to buy up American debt and lock away the world’s natural resources. But now, not content to simply laugh and make jerk-off signs as they pass us on the geopolitical highway, they’ve also developed a state-endorsed genetic-engineering project.

At BGI Shenzhen, scientists have collected DNA samples from 2,000 of the world’s smartest people and are sequencing their entire genomes in an attempt to identify the alleles which determine human intelligence. Apparently they’re not far from finding them, and when they do, embryo screening will allow parents to pick their brightest zygote and potentially bump up every generation's intelligence by five to 15 IQ points. Within a couple of generations, competing with the Chinese on an intellectual level will be like challenging Lena Dunham to a getting-naked-on-TV contest.

Source...

So upon searching for the name of the company heading this in China i find....BGI Shenzhen....

Genome Web Daily

Check out that website... what the hell?

BGI-Shenzhen Completes Tender Offer for Complete Genomics

So i googled that and found this..

Source...

SHENZHEN, China, March 15, 2013 -- /PRNewswire/ -- BGI-Shenzhen ("BGI") announced today that it, through its wholly-owned subsidiary Beta Acquisition Corporation, has successfully completed its all cash tender offer (the "Offer") to purchase all outstanding shares of common stock of Complete Genomics, Inc. (NASDAQ: GNOM) ("Complete"). The Offer expired at 11:59 p.m. (New York City time) on Thursday, March 14, 2013. The Depositary for the Offer has indicated that, as of the expiration of the Offer, approximately 31,403,880 shares, or approximately 88%, of the common stock of Complete were validly tendered in and not withdrawn from the Offer, including shares of common stock of Complete subject to guaranteed delivery procedures. Beta Acquisition Corporation accepted all such validly tendered shares and payment for such shares will be made promptly in accordance with the terms of the Offer. Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

Im assuming they wanted something that company had as far as research is concerned....

Here is some info on complete genomics....

Complete Genomics...

Dedicated to whole human genome sequencing and analysis provided as a simple outsourced service, Complete Genomics provides researchers with highly accurate genomic data, assembled and annotated, ready for biological interpretation. We ensure your project success by providing end-to-end project management and expert bioinformatics support. And by optimizing our sequencing platform for human DNA, we have achieved industry-leading accuracy levels of 99.9998%. » read more

Hmm... This company is located in California. So china bought a genome research facility in California to produce super babies for China. Man this gets more interesting. American engineers are genetically engineering the enemy basically. Nice. I hope they are getting paid well.

What do you guys make of all this? This is scary....

edit on 15-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Another 100 years of science or so and they will become THE BORG... resistance is futile!

You would think they would start with being taller though...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Dear onequestion,

We will certainly destroy ourselves if we continue down the path of genetically modifying ourselves. The fallacy is believing that you can create genius. As we decrease the diversity among humans, we increase the likelihood that a simple virus will kill us all off. China is not alone in this endeavor, the United States through Darpa is also experimenting.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

My initial reply was only made half-jokingly. The Chinese will no doubt genetically modify away freewill as well as increasing IQ... the perfect citizen... a savant...

edit on 15-3-2013 by madmac5150 because: My first comment was kinda stupid so I had my cat proof read it as well... he agreed

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Dear madmac5150,

The last thing in this world they want to do is create more people with Aspergers (no longer called idiot savants), too unpredictable. The challenge they face is creating people that are smarter than the people they created.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This is all irrelevant, long before 3 generations of these babies we will have hit the singularity, human intellect no matter how genius will be laughable next to implanted quantum computers.

I mean I am not too worried about haha my iq was 200 before I got my 10, 000, 000 iq processor, thanks mom and dad the extra 50 points really made a difference.

Technology will outstrip any human abilities by 2045, including in conscious thought. Man will merge, or he will fade.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear madmac5150,

The last thing in this world they want to do is create more people with Aspergers (no longer called idiot savants), too unpredictable. The challenge they face is creating people that are smarter than the people they created.

I apologize for using the term savant... I have a step son with aspergers and understand it all too well. What I meant was "automaton"... like a cylon hybrid

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Can you provide some links, id like to read more about that subject just out of curiosity?

and AQuestion, my account is older! Just kidding....

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Dear madmac5150,

No problems here. I am an Aspy and I took absolutely no offense. I was merely trying to point out that they don't really want people like us, they want people with good memories that are compartmentalized and compliant, except in the arts. Marx talked about creating the perfect communist and they were all the same, the Chinese are no different and neither are we, that is what is scary about all this genetic modification.

The bible says some interesting things even if you don't believe in the book. It talks about how the church is like a body, some people are fingers and some people are eyes or teeth. We all have different abilities and bring something to the table. I need trillions of skin cells and fewer eye cells; but, if we are all the same we cease being an effective body, that is the problem with communism and conformity in my humble opinion. Peace.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I call BS

I was not sampled

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Can you provide some links, id like to read more about that subject just out of curiosity?

and AQuestion, my account is older! Just kidding....

I actually started a thread today, but can link more scources if you would like.

There is a group called singularitarians, they believe this is inevitable, I dont disagree, I made the thread hoping to attract some, so they could explain it better in their own words. But I dont think any cared or saw it, or are maybe even not present here, I coukdnt tell you, I am new to the subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I do find the subject fascinating, and am currently researching it.

edit on 15-3-2013 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Thanks, im going to check it out.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I think the exact opposite is being looked for in the genome. If you are too smart you might not like "The Party" More like the obedient genome trait.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Nice find. I especially liked this part:

We have ideological biases that say, “Well, this could be troubling, we shouldn’t be meddling with nature, we shouldn’t be meddling with God.” I just attended a debate in New York a few weeks ago about whether or not we should outlaw genetic engineering in babies and the audience was pretty split. In China, 95 percent of an audience would say, “Obviously you should make babies genetically healthier, happier, and brighter!”

Now there may be risks involved, but I think it is troubling that China will move forward while the west is held back by pointless ideological bickering..

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

When do we lose our individuality in this process?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150

You would think they would start with being taller though...

HA
..... I am at work and literally laughed and had everyone looking at me.....

Thanks i needed that

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I would tend to agree with you. Technology is going to far surpass genology for intelligence. Gene manipulation will probably be regulated to cosmetic effects and disease.

I really hope it happens in my lifetime but probably not. I'd be the first in line to get a computer chip in my brain.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Way better than here in the usa, in georgia a chick just grabs the first tattooed jobless bum she can find and starts making kids to get extra welfare checks

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Why should we? Increased intelligence wont make you a non-individual.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

May I ask what technology may be available that may outpace the human capability for thought and ideas?
What technology would surpass the human brain that created it?

Have we really had any evidence of mind blowing human technological advancements since we landed on the moon? Cure for cancer...? Nope. Flying cars...? Nope. All we have accomplished in 45 years is better phones and internet. Everything else is just a modification of some eureka discovery (made 100+yrs ago) to make it a bit better.

If you're all worried about Chinese made super-smart babies, look no further than my Chinese made 'smart' TV that has an annoying hum brand new out the box. Or maybe my Chinese smart appliances that will surely crap out after 5 years.

If you want a chip in your head (which will surely be Chinese made), just make sure it doesn't control any major bodily functions. I'd hate for the warranty to expire and have you crapping all over the place or worse rendered a vegetable.

I'd really hate to see the customer support call to India trying to rectify that problem.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join