It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right, Left, Conservative Liberal�

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I kinda know what the difference between a conservative and a liberal, but I'm not sure about the between the left and the right. Can someone anyone give me an exact definition on any of these. Dumb question, I know, I know

[Edited on 11-5-2003 by abstract_alao]

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Bro, you should know by now the only stupid question is the unasked one. Of course there is TC qoute, but what does he know about stupid questions!

LMAO J/k

try this link it may clarify.

www.e-thepeople.org...

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
imagine extreme left=communism
extreme right=facism

liberals are in the centre
hope it helps

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I doubt if anyone could give you a definition that was watertight, nowadays, abstract-a.
But something connected with property-rights would be a start: the right is essentially about individual property rights ( distributed unfairly and inequitably, no doubt) while the left is essentially a collectivist stance: everyone owns everything (or, no one owns anything- depending on one's outlook)

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Also the "state" looms large in leftist thinking and, contrary to what many suppose, both Nazism and Fascism are very much left-wing phenomena.

arc

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It depends whether you look at the political scale as linear or circular. There is a school of thinking that states once you get to the extremes of left or right, you are actually operating from the same point

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by f16falcon
extreme right=facism

hope it helps

Close, except, conservatives are center, liberals are just way out there!

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'd agree, Arc that -like the pigs and the men at the end of "Animal Farm", it can get rather hard to tell one from the other.
But what politicians really are -and what they claim to be, are very different.

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What "liberals" (with, or without, the capital letter) are is pretty much anyone's guess: but it's hard to see how one could be both "centrist" and "liberal".
The political challenge for liberals remains that of defining a policy in any terms other than as a reaction to someone else's policy.
And convincing the electorate that a "liberal" policy is any sort of policy, at all.

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
As for "right" and "left" being the same at extremes, this depends really upon the clarity with which one uses language.
I'd still suggest that the emphasis placed upon the "state" is a good guide.

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Yup, yup, what Estragon said.

I am usually labelled a conservative, and I feel very uncomfortable with the right-wing monicker and when I'm referred to by it, I usually start a long dialogue with the person. Around here, though I let it slide for generality's sake.

Bush is also considered a conservative, but this is one conservative that isn't so sure if he should be referred to as such. While it is true that he is closer to how I think the prez should be than Clinton was, I would still like to pull out my screwdriver and do some serious adjustments.

To me, a conservative goes by certain documents in reference to American politics, Articles of Confederation, constitution for the united states of America, the Bill of Rights and the KJV 1611.

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Originally posted by f16falcon
extreme right=facism

hope it helps

Close, except, conservatives are center, liberals are just way out there!

Just a conservative would do such a comment...
Center LMAO

Actually TC nobody is center, because there is no way to make politics look neutral for anyone, and anyway conservative is like try to keep the system as it is for centuries, therefore they are called the conservators, they keep the tradition and the past in the present no?
Just kidding...

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
There were some good replies. I think things are a little more clear now. Thanx for the link advisor

top topics

join