It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Rob Portman Supports Gay Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

U.S. Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, once on the short-list to be Mitt Romney's 2012 running mate, has reversed his opposition to gay marriage, revealing that his own son is gay.

Source

Politicians will always advocate what suits them the most at a particular time. They serve all right. Themselves.
Note to readers: I am not against gay unions. People do whatever they please.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Directive5120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Directive5120

Or he realized his son should not be treated as a second class citizen because of his sexuality.

It's not always about political football you know.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Theres politicians who would string up their own kids on live TV if they could get a few extra

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Already posted. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Or he realized his son should not be treated as a second class citizen because of his sexuality.

~Tenth

He should have realized it for all people who feel the same way. If is son hadn't been gay, he would have continued his anti-gay agenda and others would have been treated as second class citizens. I call this convenience, not integrity or empathy.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Then this thread ends here.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

So you expect people who have no personal experience with any given issue to just follow the herd and allow others to mold their thinking?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but if you were taught your whole life that a certain this is bad and immoral, it's going to take a drastic shock in order for you to change your mind.

In this case, it was most likely his son. How many parents go through denial and hatred and a bunch of other emotions before finally accepting their children for who they are?

The issue is compounded by the fact that he is in a party that prefers extremists over centrists and showing any sign of moving towards the left, is a virtual death sentence,

I bet you he gets primaried in the next election.

Don't get me wrong, I usually see flip flops on issues with politicians as only for political gain. As it's the most common answer. In certain cases though, like this one, I think personal experience and reflection may have won the day.

It's a far less depressing view point as well.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I've taken my answers to the other thread. I would be happy to answer you there. This thread will get closed by admins anyway, since it's a duplicate thread.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Don't get me wrong, I usually see flip flops on issues with politicians as only for political gain. As it's the most common answer. In certain cases though, like this one, I think personal experience and reflection may have won the day.

It's a far less depressing view point as well.

~Tenth

I hope so. Then it's a win-win situation.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

edit on 15-3-2013 by TheWrightWing because: Moved to established thread.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join