It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

electoral votes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Can somebody explain the significance of electoral votes on determining Presidential election outcome. My Husband claims that electoral votes alone determine Presidential winners and public election is a facade. Is he wrong or have US citizens been duped?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The electoral college consists of your elected officials from each state who cast their votes depending on the popular vote within the state. For example, there are 9 electoral votes for the state of Colorado, and there are 9 representatives for this state as well, 2 Senators, and 7 members of the house of Representatives. If the popular votes goes for GWB, then all 9 of their votes are cast in the electoral college for GWB. If the popular vote goes for Kerry, then all 9 go for Kerry. Nebraska splits their electoral vote as a percentage of the population, they are one of the few states that do that. Only once has a representative not voted the way the populace wanted him to and he wasn't around long thereafter.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
he is right in that the electoral college votes determine who is elected (271), but he is wrong in concluding that such a system "dupes" US citizens.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
He's right, your not voting for your candidate, your voting for a group of pre-biased guys that go and vote for you. That is why you can win the popular election and still get shat out of it. The popular vote only decides which of the two parties will send people to vote for you. Another reason independent candidates will never have a real chance, sad but true. It is important to understand that this is not a democracy, it is a republic. With religous right wings in power, it is become a theocracy.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Your vote counts, always has, always will.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
What guarantee do we have our Representatives vote the way the populace wants? Can we prove otherwise?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
There has only been 2 instances where an "elector" did not vote as they were bound.

In the entire political history of the US.

there's a bit of proof.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
What guarantee do we have our Representatives vote the way the populace wants? Can we prove otherwise?

You don't. You can only replace them next time. One in WV already said he's voting Kerry no matter what. That was a while ago though. He could be tied to someone's hood by now.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think that in most states, they are required by law to cast their votes the way they are committed to.

In any event the delegates are not just people off of the street, they are people with long standing affiliations with the parties.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I still think it needs to be a percentage....based on popular vote, to give the people more of a vote...

In other words, lets say a state has 10 electoral votes. Kerry gets 50% of the popular vote, Bush gets 40%, Badnarik gets 10% (granted, not likely, but it's an example). Kerry would get 5 of the states electoral, Bush 4, and Badnarik 1.

I suppose fractions are really the kicker here, but still, I'm more than a little weary of the winner take all approach....especially after the mess last time...where only 500+ votes made the difference in this all or nothing bit, which then went against the popular vote....

new topics

top topics

join