OFFICIAL: 2 out of every 3 Americans are NOT protected by Constitution!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Source: ACLU

Using data provided by the U.S. Census Bureau, the ACLU has determined that nearly 2/3 of the entire US population (197.4 million people) live within 100 miles of the US land and coastal borders.

The government is assuming extraordinary powers to stop and search individuals within this zone. This is not just about the border: This " Constitution-Free Zone" includes most of the nation's largest metropolitan areas.

Check link to see of you are affected (most Major Metro areas are)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

This is the ONLY time I have been happy to live in Indianapolis... LOL

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

Actually, the ACLU fails to note that the U.S. government can technically consider any international airport to be part of "the border" as it is an entry point to the U.S. and they can't very well stop and search people as they enter U.S. airspace. So the map should be enhances to include a 100 mile radius around any international airport with a customs division. Hence, Indianapolis is largely included and you can probably up the ACLU's number to something like 3 out of every 4.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
To explain a little further, I pulled this excerpt from a related article on the ACLU site:

•Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.
•The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a “routine search.”
•But what is “the border”? According to the government, it is a 100-mile wide strip that wraps around the “external boundary” of the United States.
•As a result of this claimed authority, individuals who are far away from the border, American citizens traveling from one place in America to another, are being stopped and harassed in ways that our Constitution does not permit.

Basically, the requirement to "spread em" at the border, which is usually a relatively narrow passage, is now considered to extend 100 miles in land.

Quite crazy in my opinion. Is there going to be a influx of American citizens moving to the central states? I think not and thus millions of people are willingly giving up theri constitutional rights in the eyes of the Fed because of their location...
edit on 15-3-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
ALL US citizens are ALWAYS protected by the US Constitution. It's just a matter of who is willing to fight for it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt
reply to post by Catalyst317

Actually, the ACLU fails to note that the U.S. government can technically consider any international airport to be part of "the border" as it is an entry point to the U.S. and they can't very well stop and search people as they enter U.S. airspace. So the map should be enhances to include a 100 mile radius around any international airport with a customs division. Hence, Indianapolis is largely included and you can probably up the ACLU's number to something like 3 out of every 4.

Great... one more thing to be looking over my shoulder about... Thanks American Government.....

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynxpilot
ALL US citizens are ALWAYS protected by the US Constitution. It's just a matter of who is willing to fight for it.

Thank you. Exactly who decided that a 100 mile boundary existed and the constitution does not apply there? Where is this law? Where is this written IN the constitution? Where is it written in the bill of rights?

As far as I'm concerned.. I'm covered. Any anyone trying to take that away from me can come and try.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

This article is dated 2006. I live in the supposed "Constitution Free Zone" and can assure you that I know of nobody in my circle who has been just randomly stopped, searched or questioned for no apparent reason. Do you personally know anyone who lives in the "Zone" who has?

If this is a real thing it is not working very well because the illegal aliens are certainly still crossing the border.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
(Snip - Doesn't apply after reading the other post on the thread)

@Littled

Just got to yours and now I do remember this since you said the date. I was still very much trucking then and it didn't effectively change anything. I did start seeing immigration checks out on I-8 and I-10 where I hadn't seen them before...but nothing much else for this if it's the same I recall.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I would agree that this is unconstitutional... Whether ot not this has affected anyone, its still quite interesting and infuriating at the same time... So, how about the coast line? Is that considered a border too?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I generally believe nothing that the American Communist Lawyer's Union states publicly. With that being said, I think you need to look at our international borders and the enforcement measures that are in place.
For 8 years I lived in Tucson, well within the 100 mile "lose you freedoms" zone. The U.S. Border Patrol is a constant presence in that area. Random checkpoints are scattered all over southern Arizona and being stopped by the U.S.B.P. is really no big deal... if you are a U.S. citizen and not committing a crime. I have been stopped by U.S.B.P checkpoints at least 3 or 4 dozen times; in every instance the Border Patrol agents were completely professional and courteous. Twice my vehicle was taken aside for further inspection, and both times I was held up for less than 5 minutes.
Now I live within 60 miles of our Canadian border. I have been here nearly 10 months; in that time I have seen 1 Border Patrol vehicle. One.
Of course, the disparity of enforcement between our Canadian border and Mexican border is very easily explained.
Canada is a prosperous nation.
Mexico is a cesspool.

The sad thing is that our Border Patrol can't even do their jobs anymore as the Obama administration has handcuffed them. How many man hours and tax dollars were wasted on the 2000+ illegals that were put back on the streets in a move that was done CLEARLY to spite the American people.

If the ACLU is so determined to take down those that violate our civil liberties (as their name would imply), I challenge them to take down the REAL violators... Obama, Reid, Boxer, Feinstein, Holder, Biden, McCain, Rockefeller, the Clintons, the Bushes, Halliburton, Monsanto... just for starters.

And, of course, Rosie O'Donnell... just because

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

According to the map, I live in one of those zones.

But, I don't believe this so who cares.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have gone through an immigration checkpoint on this side of the border on the way home from a trip to Mexico, but was not searched or anything- just had to show ID to prove we were citizens and not illegals. I think the ACLU article is trying to scare people into believing this is something that it is not.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have gone through an immigration checkpoint on this side of the border on the way home from a trip to Mexico, but was not searched or anything- just had to show ID to prove we were citizens and not illegals. I think the ACLU article is trying to scare people into believing this is something that it is not.

That's not that unusual. Border agents arbitrarily decide whether or not you're worth searching, and the searching can be quite invasive. If you didn't get the 'full cavity' thing, you just didn't look suspcious enough. The border zone has, for a long time, been sort of a limbo where there are no rights. I think it's been justified because it's always been AT the border with obvious intent to cross. Creating a zone that encompasses parts of the US is absurd and anybody who is victimized by this idiotic philosophy needs to fight it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
(Snip - Doesn't apply after reading the other post on the thread)

@Littled

Just got to yours and now I do remember this since you said the date. I was still very much trucking then and it didn't effectively change anything. I did start seeing immigration checks out on I-8 and I-10 where I hadn't seen them before...but nothing much else for this if it's the same I recall.

That is an amazing memory that you have to remember a road construction from 7 years ago... What were the mile markers at? As a trucker who knows every inch of the road between I-8 and I-10, what marker was it 7 years ago?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm outraged !!!!

I've lived in the "constitution free zone" 45 out of 45 years of my life and nobody I know has ever been illegally searched

ever

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It's not as bad as you seem to think.

Two analysis papers from the Congressional Research Service from 2009 offer some legal insight into what tactics agents can follow within the 100-mile-wide extended border, and why the distinction between the extended border and the other two borders is important.

Searches within the 100-mile extended border zone, and outside of the immediate border-stop location, must meet three criteria: a person must have recently crossed a border; an agent should know that the object of a search hasn’t changed; and that “reasonable suspicion” of a criminal activity must exist, says the CRS. (The service had done the legal analyses to prepare Congress members for legislation.)

The fact that agents need to show “reasonable suspicion” outside direct border stops and airports puts their actions closer to the scope of the Fourth Amendment, says the CRS.

“The Fourth Amendment mandates that a search or seizure conducted by a government agent must be ‘reasonable.’ As a general rule, courts have construed Fourth Amendment reasonableness as requiring probable cause and a judicially granted warrant. Nonetheless, the Supreme Court has recognized several exceptions to these requirements, one of which is the border search exception.”

The argument about a Constitution-free zone may better apply to direct border stops and airports, where agents don’t need to explain why they are searching a computer or cell phone. So, there could still be a “Constitution-free zone,” based on the outcome of legal appeals. It would just be much smaller than that 100-mile band around the U.S.

news.yahoo.com...

And a Federal court ruled within the last month that even a search at a border crossing could not look into files which were password protected, without a warrant.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
And how many times are border searches in compliance with this?

supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

Dear lynxpilot,

Forgive me, sometimes I don't write clearly or explain confusing quotes. Those three requirements need to be met outside of the immediate border areas, like border crossings or airports. In those places, as you know, Customs can look at just about anything for no particular reason.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join