It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Boosting Defence After North Korea Threats!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

US Boosting Defence After North Korea Threats!

news.sky.com

The regime of Kim Jong Un has threatened to hit the US mainland with a preemptive nuclear attack.

The US is beefing up its missile defence systems with new interceptors after recent threats of a nuclear attack by North Korea.

Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has announced the addition of 14 interceptors in Alaska to the US-based missile defence system, a nearly 50% increase in defence capability.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Continued...

The new interceptors, added to the 30 already installed in California and Alaska, will improve the US' ability to shoot down missiles in flight before they reach the US.

Mr Hagel said the US is also working with Japan to deploy new radar systems from Japan that could better track and provide warning of any missile launched by the Communist regime.

And, he said, the Pentagon is studying the feasibility of alternative missile defence system sites in other parts of the US.

US officials do not believe North Korea is capable of carrying out a nuclear attack on the US, but the recent threat has added to tensions between the two countries.

The defence system has existed since 2004, when the George W Bush administration built it because of threats from North Korea.

In the past year North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests and successfully launched a satellite into orbit - the same technology needed to launch a long-range missile.

North Korea's ire has also been directed at neighbour South Korea, recently threatening to reduce the country's capitol of Seoul to "a sea of fire".

More follows...

Well, I'm quite concerned that the United States is taking this seriously - but then again, it's better safe than sorry, right?

Having said that, we haven't heard much from the other bogeyman (i.e. Iran) - is everything quiet on that front?

But seriously, NK is still stuck in the 1950s/60s and so is its military and weaponry. They are no match for anything - maybe they could successfully invade some weak African countries...?

news.sky.com

Other links:

U.S. to beef up missile defense against North Korea, Iran

U.S. ramping up missile defense against N. Korea amid new threats

edit on 3/15/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Nothing will happen, they will get alot of media attention and scare everyone, all the Preppers will be going crazy right about now.

Give it a few weeks and it will have all been forgotten about.

Its all about scaring everyone.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Missiles up by 2017... Do you honestly think this kid is going to have patience? Do you think he'd wait for the interceptors to be up before attempting to attack if he even had the power to do so?

If there was a real threat and no other motive behind interceptors along the U.S. West Coast they would just attack N.K. already, before they even had a chance to harm S.K. or Japan. The U.S. has the means, and I'm sure China would be all for it, especially after this. It doesn't add up, those interceptors are not going up because of North Korea.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens

But seriously, NK is still stuck in the 1950s/60s and so is its military and weaponry. They are no match for anything - maybe they could successfully invade some weak African countries...?

I wouldn't put it passed china to arm NK. Heck they probably already have.... For all we know china has been giving NK modern weapons for ages..

I don't think there is enough evidence to back up your assumptions.
edit on 15-3-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Dear me, I only just realised that Hagel said they would be up by 2017 - WTF??!!

North Korea's been ramping up its rhetoric (and actions) in recent times now - and the US is giving another 4 years to be well prepared! By the sounds of it, NK's attacks (if any) seem to be imminent!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Continued...

The new interceptors, added to the 30 already installed in California and Alaska, will improve the US' ability to shoot down missiles in flight before they reach the US.

Mr Hagel said the US is also working with Japan to deploy new radar systems from Japan that could better track and provide warning of any missile launched by the Communist regime.

And, he said, the Pentagon is studying the feasibility of alternative missile defence system sites in other parts of the US.

US officials do not believe North Korea is capable of carrying out a nuclear attack on the US, but the recent threat has added to tensions between the two countries.

The defence system has existed since 2004, when the George W Bush administration built it because of threats from North Korea.

In the past year North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests and successfully launched a satellite into orbit - the same technology needed to launch a long-range missile.

North Korea's ire has also been directed at neighbour South Korea, recently threatening to reduce the country's capitol of Seoul to "a sea of fire".

More follows...

Well, I'm quite concerned that the United States is taking this seriously - but then again, it's better safe than sorry, right?

Having said that, we haven't heard much from the other bogeyman (i.e. Iran) - is everything quiet on that front?

news.sky.com

Other links:

U.S. to beef up missile defense against North Korea, Iran

U.S. ramping up missile defense against N. Korea amid new threats

The launch vehicle may be useable for a long range launch, if it is reliable. They currently have no GPS satellites to guide those rockets, so it would be point and shoot. As well, NK has yet to even attempt to test re-entry vehicles. As of yet, korea has one piece of a complicated puzzle. Their nukes are not known to be able to be attached to a rocket/missile. They haven't tested one yet. They haven't brought anything down from space intact either. They are still a ways out, but they are certainly closer than they were years before.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
yawn....

North korea are simply bluffing. Posturing to force either the US or south Korea into making the first strike.

North Korea will do nothing.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
of course they are.

and when NK shows itself to be a non-thread, they'll (US) will find a way to link Iran to NK so we can approve more spending in the name of "Defense".

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I worry about how Russia will react to having these things parked in Alasaka, which is basically in it's backyard. China too must be concerned. High time for the Chinese and Russians to reign in North Korea and tell them to pipe down. I am surprised that there has not been an emergency security council meeting at the UN over this.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

reply to post by FidelityMusic

Dear me, I only just realised that Hagel said they would be up by 2017 - WTF??!!

North Korea's been ramping up its rhetoric (and actions) in recent times now - and the US is giving another 4 years to be well prepared! By the sounds of it, NK's attacks (if any) seem to be imminent!

It's not about the North Korean threats, well not really... The defenses already in place can handle any real threat from a North Korean ICBM launch...

The buildup of west coast missile defenses have little to do with the North Korean threats and much more to do with Chinese threats. China has more than once threatened to nuke the west coast, and specifically threatened to nuke Los Angeles.

Tensions are quietly building between the US and China over a number of issues... Using the empty threats from NK as justification for the buildup is good cover for the actual reasons for it. North Korea's ability to even reach the west coast isn't close enough yet. The defenses already in place can handle any real threats from NK. But not from Chinese sub, or air, or sea-surface launched cruise missiles.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
This whole thing strikes me as being highly illogical, If analysts say the regime is years away from producing a missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to the US, then why spend all those millions of taxpayers money bolstering up missile defense systems for something that is never going to happen?

I mean, if you look at the Geographical situation of the United States, who in plain reality is going to try and attack?

In my opinion if there was an attack to take place, this would be against US interests on the European side of the world... methinks!?

Please correct me if you consider me wrong!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

The US plans to bolster its missile defences on the west coast to counter the threat from North Korea, Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has announced. He said the US would add 14 interceptors, which can shoot down missiles in flight, to 30 already in place in California and Alaska by 2017. But the final phase of the US European Missile Defence programme is being scrapped to partly fund the project. Due to begin in 2022, it would have sited interceptors in eastern Europe. Mr Hagel cited a "series of irresponsible and reckless provocations" recently by North Korea. Pyongyang carried out a third nuclear test last month. A statement in North Korean state media last month also threatened the US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike. Europe plan shelved However, analysts say the regime is years away from producing a missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to the US. "The US has missile defences to protect us from limited ICBM [Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile] attacks," Mr Hagel told Friday's press conference. "But North Korea in particular has recently made advances in its capabilities and has engaged in a series of irresponsible and reckless provocations."

BBC

Something has them all riled up not their usual aid package and also a potential retreat from Europe? North Korea considered a bigger threat I suppose...

The plan to beef up U.S. missile defense capabilities will also affect Japan, given the increasingly threatening posture adopted by its neighbor North Korea. “With the support of the Japanese government, we’re planning to deploy additional radar in Japan,” the defense chief said, adding the measure is aimed at providing “improved early warning and tracking of any missile launch from North Korea at the United States or Japan.” Hagel was referring to an X-band radar system that Tokyo and Washington are considering installing in Japan, in addition to the existing large-scale radar unit at an Air Self-Defense Force base in Aomori Prefecture, northeastern Japan. Japan and the United States are considering installing a second X-band radar system in an ASDF base on the Sea of Japan coast in Kyoto Prefecture, western Japan. Asked when the second X-band radar will be installed, James Miller, undersecretary of defense for policy, told reporters, “At this point, I would say it’s a matter of at least some months,” although the two governments are discussing the precise timing of the installation.

Japantimes

Screw Europe, Japan needs protection
, no i suppose they are a bit closer to the problem, all this over one little angry fat man, i dont unerstand why they do not just send a drone in blow him up make it look like an assasination by a rival general (kill a couple of high up generals) and insight civil war, but hey what do i know, maybe that strategy is a bit too risky...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

This whole thing strikes me as being highly illogical, If analysts say the regime is years away from producing a missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to the US, then why spend all those millions of taxpayers money bolstering up missile defense systems for something that is never going to happen?

This is all just so the arms companies can line their pockets.

It's business as usual.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Tensions are quietly building between the US and China over a number of issues... Using the empty threats from NK as justification for the buildup is good cover for the actual reasons for it. North Korea's ability to even reach the west coast isn't close enough yet. The defenses already in place can handle any real threats from NK. But not from Chinese sub, or air, or sea-surface launched cruise missiles.

After listening to CNN this morning, I'm losing faith in the defense system.

Hopefully, it's just the stupidity of the news anchors, but when they start announcing to the world (or whoever still watches CNN), that they need numorous shots at whatever is coming at North America, because its difficult to pull off, and is NOT yet perfected, because math and physics are involved, and math is hard. :shk:

wtf.
Are they trying to invite trouble?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I found a intresting interview of a former MI5 agent.

The primary goal of the US plans to bolster missile defense in Alaska isn’t about tackling a North Korean threat, but putting a claim on the natural resources of the Arctic, former MI5 intelligence officer, Annie Machon, explained in an interview RT.

US anti-missile reshuffle, really, aimed at control over Arctic resources’

Dunno if anybody here have read the The Henoch Prophecies but there is a lot of truth in this
The Henoch Prophecies

new topics

top topics

join