It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heartless Cop Tickets Homeless Navy Vet For Retrieving A Doughnut From A Garbage Can!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

So, when you get loads of homeless guys turning up trying the same thing, at what point do you realise your resources cannot supply the demand?

As I said, I was a homeless street sleeper for 6 months some years ago, word spreads in the 'community' and others will try the same thing. I'm not trying to be difficult here, just practical. I appreciate your intentions but unless you've been there you cannot imagine how much the temptation is to take advantage of goodwill.

How many similar homeless guys would it take before you realise you cannot help them all?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Seems you have made some personel choices in that regard. Coming from that situation one would think that you would be have some sympathy for them.

Regardless, I told you how I would and have dealt with the situation. I give and help how I can.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
he may feel he dealt with other situations where it seemed like he was digging in trash for people in other aspects for them and they didn't care then... So who knows where his mentality may be being homeless where he once protected.

Personally from a current civilian position I would of went outside communicated with he seeing he was homeless and digging in the trash passed him a few financial rations for a meal or two and asked him not to dig and leave the trash for others to clean up if he chooses to continue to dig and let him be.

Its hard out here many consciousness are unbalanced due to failed financial systems overtaking genetic progression systems. And since this is so man tends not to see @ times the inner issues his fellow species mate may be experiencing due to the many distractions that have reguided the minds here. Therefore at times ending with situations where a simple gesture of HELP from responding to a CRY for it , is and can be Ignored. Which in turn leaves 1 man looking at another in this case like how do I even pay for this if I cannot even eat a good meal why the other man is left looking at the other man like this I my job, what am I supposed to do (even if I wanted to help you?)

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well...if he was throwing trash on the ground, that is littering.

What a "good cop" should have done was say..."Hey soldier...you need to clean that mess up. When you are done, I'll give you a dozen doughnuts...I keep a steady supply".

I'm not going to condone littering just because he was looking for food. If he was a soldier, he should have known better. I also am not going to accept the cop's bullsh!t thinking either. This could have been handled with a nod and a handshake.

This ladies and gentlemen is a hallmark moment into what we have de-evolved into. No one gives a crap about anyone else anymore..."just gimme mine"...Heartbreaking really.

Well...what comes around goes around...and if we keep on isolating ourselves within crowds of fellow human beings, there is only one cure...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

As I've stated previously I do have an amount of sympathy, from my own experiences.
Which bit of "you cannot help everyone, and word spreads amongst the homeless community about who is a soft touch" do you disagree with?

I'm saying it as I've seen it from my own homeless street-sleeping experience in the UK. Maybe homeless people in the US are different?
I doubt it, but hey, what do I know, perhaps your homeless folk have absolute respect for their local communities and throwing rubbish from the trash can onto the floor is acceptable to y'all.

I know I wouldn't be able to help everyone who is homeless in my local area, if you want lines of people trashing your street to inspire acts of kindness from lovely people like yourself thats a beautiful thing but I cannot see it as anything particularly sustainable unless you have unlimited resources.

edit on 15-3-2013 by grainofsand because: Rushed typing errors, fixed

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim "The cop said"

hearsay.
edit on 15/3/13 by RoScoLaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

True, hearsay, like most of the stuff on ATS.
I'm sticking to the 'hearsay' and commenting solely on it. If there is any evidence to suggest that such claims are innacurate then of course I shall change my viewpoint, but right now it appears that some homeless guy was foolishly looking for something in a trash can and discarding the rubbish onto the street and making a mess for the local community.
If I lived in that street I would object and take action to prevent this happening.
9 years of Navy service, 24 years ago, would not influence my opinion of what I considered acceptable for whatever was going on in my street. Call me a heartless person if you like but hey, who wants to live in a street where it is acceptable to throw trash on the floor?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Everything is bigger in Texas, including stupidity.

I'm sure Cap'n Bacon had a donut back in his cruiser. He could have offered one up, as well as offering a warning if it is indeed a ticketable offense.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

As previously stated, a warning of "if you don't clean that up you'll get a ticket" would have been the most preferable option but I wasn't there so who knows what the conversation was.
I repeat though, the homeless community would spread the word about whoever the local 'soft touch' is so ignoring it will just increase the numbers who try the same for a bit of charitable giving.
Maybe the homeless in the US are different to the UK, but I just see desperate people being the same the world over.
If you have unlimited resources then fine, help out and ignore anti-social behaviour, otherwise, make a stand and stop the rubbish in your trash cans being thrown on the floor in your street. Is it that dictatorial to expect people to put the things they don't need back into the trash can?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Vet or not, doesnt matter. The fact that our government has passed legislation making it basically illegal to be homeless, should be what we are focusing on here. They do not 'contribute' (in the capitalistic sense), so they are 'undesirables', and the gov't is trying to wipe them out.

Go back and look what Guilliani did in NY to get a real picture of what the gov't is trying to do to homeless people. Its gross.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I see your perspective and as someone on the other side of the Atlantic I am unable to disagree with it.
My initial thoughts though are of 'it's ok to be homeless, just don't trash someone else's street'
...don't see a problem with that, but if you have some specific examples appropriate to this thread about someone trashing a street and being unjustifiably discriminated against, please do share them here, I'm interested.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

I see your perspective and as someone on the other side of the Atlantic I am unable to disagree with it.
My initial thoughts though are of 'it's ok to be homeless, just don't trash someone else's street'
...don't see a problem with that, but if you have some specific examples appropriate to this thread about someone trashing a street and being unjustifiably discriminated against, please do share them here, I'm interested.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Sorting through a trash can is not 'trashing a street'. Perhaps the man should have simply picked up what he took out-thats hardly the point. If the goal was not to rid the cities of these 'undesirables', this would not be an issue.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

From the links in the OP, the guy threw the stuff he didn't want onto the floor.
That is 'trashing a street' in my opinion, do you disagree with such behaviour?
I do if it was my street.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

From the links in the OP, the guy threw the stuff he didn't want onto the floor.
That is 'trashing a street' in my opinion, do you disagree with such behaviour?
I do if it was my street.

I agree that littering (which is what that really is) is not ok. But to focus on this in a vacuum is to miss the point.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

No, the point is that the guy got a ticket for what you call 'littering' he could have avoided it by putting the rubbish back in the trash can - it appears he chose not to do so and got a ticket.
I will not cry any tears for him, he had a choice.

...do you have some legal argument which excuses his behaviour?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

No, the point is that the guy got a ticket for what you call 'littering' he could have avoided it by putting the rubbish back in the trash can - it appears he chose not to do so and got a ticket.
I will not cry any tears for him, he had a choice.

...do you have some legal argument which excuses his behaviour?

Alas, the point seems lost on you, as you continue to look at this as a singular event in a vacuum.

Carry on.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

No, if your argument is strong enough then please enlighten me.
I've been homeless as previously stated. If you have a particular argument that you feel strongly enough about then please do put me right.
I say he could have obtained items from the trash can without littering his local community, you apparently defend his behaviour throwing it on the floor.
If you have an argument which justifies such behaviour in a residential or business street then I am happy to consider it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

No, if your argument is strong enough then please enlighten me.
I've been homeless as previously stated. If you have a particular argument that you feel strongly enough about then please do put me right.
I say hecould have obtained items from the trash can without littering his local community, you apparently defend his behaviour throwing it on the floor.
If you have an argument which justifies such behaviour in a residential or business street then I am happy to consider it.

1)As previously stated, you cannot, or choose not to see this as anything but a singular event, and therefore, there is no point to providing you with anything else. You have missed my point completely, and continue to demonstrate that.

2)Where did I defend littering? the FACT is that I did exactly the opposite. Nice try though.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Would you like to share your specific point then?
This is an open and public forum, you are welcome to pick my argument to bits if you like.
I have the option to consider it and respond as appropriate while keeping within the T & C's

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Would you like to share your specific point then?
This is an open and public forum, you are welcome to pick my argument to bits if you like.
I have the option to consider it and respond as appropriate while keeping within the T & C's

Ugh, this is tedious and pointless. I already stated my point, and that is the overall agenda of ridding cities of these 'undesirables'. You are choosing to continue to respond in regards only to this one singular event. You (and most others) are choosing to ignore the bigger picture.

Thanks for the diatribe about public forums, though....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join