Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Chinese RQ-170 copy, and carrier AWACS?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Found these pics on Aviationintel.com this morning. The first is a terrible picture, and it's not sure if it's real or not, but it appears to show a larger version of the RQ-170. The lines are similar but without the miniaturization found in US aircraft.

Considering that there were reports of Chinese engineers in Iran studying the RQ-170, the timing would be just about right for a copy to appear. No idea of any details, and if it's stealthy or not, but it would be a big boost to the Chinese UAV program, which seems to be accelerating.

The other interesting picture from China, appears to show what may be a carrier based AWACS aircraft, similar to the E-2 Hawkeye used by the US Navy. It's a twin engine, slender wing, multi-tail design. It appears remarkably similar to the Hawkeye. The only thing known is that it is an AWACS aircraft, with a large rotodome antenna mounted on top.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You didn't really add any comments about weather this is a bad thing or a good thing, I really don't see this as being that big of a deal. Are you against them having a drone program? Funny point here is that small RC enthusiast UAV's use a flight control (Dji) from China and it is considered by a vast majority to far superior the ones made here. The Chinese have done a very good job in that space, it's actually one of the first times I noticed we are trying to copy them.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The chinese do love to violate copyrights don't they? I'm starting to wonder if they can actually invent anything new anymore under their current government.

I read that the sea-borne AWACS would not work on their current carrier as it doesn't have catapults.

Back to the drawing board.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamsnatcher

Because it just is really. All countries are developing UAVs and see them as a cheap and quick way to perform the same missions that are currently flown with manned aircraft. Whether we like it or not, they're going to be out there, and in large numbers eventually.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by dreamsnatcher

Because it just is really. All countries are developing UAVs and see them as a cheap and quick way to perform the same missions that are currently flown with manned aircraft. Whether we like it or not, they're going to be out there, and in large numbers eventually.

and with that said, Zap...i wouldn't be surprised if america or europe doesn't have an enemy fly over or worse, in the next 10 years. it's not if, it's when.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Lets not forget the recent display of Chinese piloting where they slammed an E2-C trying to "buzz" the aircraft and caused it to crash there ,is it possible they are building from that?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'd say closer to 15. The Russian UAV programs ate just getting off the ground (pun intended), and China is still working on a decent HALE aircraft.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Only closeup I could find of the Chinese "Hawkeye." Not sure of its official designation yet. If you look closely in the Google Earth image you can just make out the quad tail configuration:

edit on 15-3-2013 by PW229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by jimmyx

I'd say closer to 15. The Russian UAV programs ate just getting off the ground (pun intended), and China is still working on a decent HALE aircraft.

thanks, i didn't know they were that far off. i thought with china and russia having already gone out into orbit, they would be farther along than that.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PW229

Thanks for that. It looks even more like the E-2D than I thought it would. I could see the four tails in the shadow, but I didn't realize that it had the scimitar props that the US is slowly going to as well. I'd be interested to see what the radar is and how close to the APY-9 it is.

Although looking in to it, some of the E-2Cs have the new 8 bladed prop as well, so it's probably a lot closer to the older APS-125/145 radar than the APY-9.
edit on 3/15/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)
edit on 3/15/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Russia made the choice to stick with manned aircraft, as they had to choose between the two for awhile. They're developing two new MALE systems to fly later this year or next year, but don't have a true HALE system in the works yet. China has a nice HALE system in the works, similar to the Global Hawk, but with a diamond wing design.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The E2-D is a much "sleeker" looking aircraft:

The Chinese version looks like an utter beast of a plane...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PW229

From what I've been finding, it's a test bed/technology demonstrator. I did find one picture of another aircraft that looks even more like the E-2, with counterrotating scimitar props, that looked much sleeker, and much more "finished" than this one does.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't know if this one will ever get built, but it's based on the Yak-44 airframe, with upturned wingtips, which I find rather interesting if it's supposed to go on a carrier.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I was going to mention the Yak-44. China might easily have gained some input from that, but airframe looks to me like a heavily modified An-24.

Here is the Yak -44 image after I cleaned it up a little

edit on 15-3-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

That picture looks a lot better than the one I linked. I hope they build it to be honest, it's a pretty beast.

new topics

top topics

join