It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis had a run-in with Pope Benedict 16 over Prophet Mohammed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Interesting ... Pope Francis (who was then Cardinal Bergoglio) publically disagreed with Pope Benedict 16 anti-Islam remarks about Mohammed in 2005. Cardinal Bergoglio (now Pope Francis) was almost removed from his post in Argentina over his remarks that were in opposition Pope Benedicts anti-Muslim remarks. The Vatican was very unhappy with him. And yet .. Pope Benedict eventually went to Turkey, and while there went to a Mosque during prayer time and bowed to Mecca and Cardinal Bergoglio went on to become Pope Francis. They kind of exchanged places a bit.

Pope Francis has an attitude toward Islam like Pope John Paul II had.

Pope Benedict saw Mohammed as evil and inhuman .. but APPEASED muslims by going to their mosque and bowing to Mecca during prayer.

Two different approaches to Islam ... should be interesting ...

Pope Francis had a run-in with Pope Benedict 16 Over the Prophet Mohammed

In 2005, then Pope Benedict, while quoting from an obscure medieval text, declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was "evil and inhuman", enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his "unhappiness" with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

"Pope Benedict's statement don't reflect my own opinions", the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. "These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years.

I didn't remember any of this happening, so I went and looked it up. I found this NBC report from 2006, not 2005 -
NBC News

Two West Bank Christian churches were hit by firebombs early Saturday, and a group claiming responsibility said it was protesting Pope Benedict XVI’s remarks about Islam.

Pakistan’s legislature unanimously condemned Pope Benedict XVI. Lebanon’s top Shiite cleric demanded an apology. And in Turkey, the ruling party likened the pontiff to Hitler and Mussolini and accused him of reviving the mentality of the Crusades.

Across the Islamic world Friday, Benedict’s remarks on Islam and jihad in a speech in Germany unleashed a torrent of rage that many fear could burst into violent protests like those that followed publication of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Regensburg Lecture by Pope Benedict 16 - text with the Mohammed comment

edit on 3/15/2013 by FlyersFan because: added word

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
That last quote about the Christian churches being firebombed proved Benedicts point I would say.Then the imman demanded an apology,you couldn't make it up!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
From (left wing) Huffington Post .. kind of a puff piece ... but it fits with what we are reading about Pope Francis and Islam. Written by a Dr. David Liepert who the Huff Post says is a 'Canadian Muslim Leader'.

Saint Francis Of Assisi And Islam: How The New Pope Could Bring Muslims And Christians Together

Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio's decision to choose the name of Francis as pope has profound significance to Muslims regarding Muslim/Christian relations. The Christian Saint Francis of Assisi -- for whom he has chosen to be named for the rest of his life -- is remembered by Muslims who know their history as a holy man, perhaps the only one (since Jesus) so recognized by Christians and Muslims alike.

In fact, as much as Muslims have saints in the first place, Saint Francis could be considered one of our saints too.

Raised in privilege and renouncing that privilege for the sake of justice, fidelity to God's revelations and God and God's creation -- to the harsh criticism of friend and family alike -- St. Francis' early life path is achingly close to that of Muhammad. And the events of his later life, particularly his three-week dialogue with Sheikh al-Malik al-Kamel the Sultan of Egypt, had a profound affect on Francis, the Sultan and the Christians and Muslims living then that are still being felt today. That should bring hope to us all.

More at the link

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wow a Catholic that doesn't like Muhammad? That is a surprise....../sarcasm

This pope at least is starting off his pope-hood (?) with a bang! You would think the Vatican would know this news was out there and would steer clear from anyone with a history of this....No?

This is only going to cause more turmoil with the Muslims.......Then again they are always mad about something.....

I know what I just said was just me rambling, but why are Muhammad followers so violent? People say the same thing about Christians yet when someone comes out and says something about Jesus, there aren't troops blasting down the people's church or place of worship because of this......

This is why I don't like organized religion.....I believe in Jesus Christ and keep him involved in my life.....That's as far as I go.......

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
This pope at least is starting off his pope-hood (?) with a bang! You would think the Vatican would know this news was out there and would steer clear from anyone with a history of this....No?

Pope Francis is the one that was 'making nice' with Islam.
Pope Benedict is the one that said Mohammed was 'evil and inhuman'.
(until he appeased the muslims by bowing to mecca in a mosque in turkey).

Are you saying that the Vatican should steer clear of someone 'making nice' with Islam?
I'm just trying to figure out exactly what you are saying. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I don't know what I am saying, that's why I stated I was just rambling.....

I am not "hip" to the pope crap, being uneducated with it, It was more of an opinion with questions rather than a statement of fact.....Sorry if I came off the wrong way

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The following is just my opinion, nothing more.

The fanatical sect of Islam will see this as the Catholic Church being weak and will push for more, well, everything.

The moderate side of Islam will see this as a avenue to open more communication between the religious followers of each.

Time will tell. But I don't have my hopes up.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
ALL religions are only as good as the humans who serve them.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

You mean the ol' ... 'don't call me evil or inhuman because if you do I'll rip your head off' .. thing?? yeah .. that's kind of darkly ironic, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
..Sorry if I came off the wrong way

Gosh no. I just couldn't follow if you didn't like that Benedict said Mohammed was 'inhuman and evil' ... or if you didn't like Benedict going the Mosque and bowing to Mecca .. or if you didn't like Pope Francis 'making nice' with the Muslims and going against Benedict when he said Mohammed was 'inhuman and evil'.

Just trying to figure it out .. you didn't come off good or bad ...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I totally agree with you. The question will be .. who has more people, the moderate muslims or the fanatical? And who has more 'oooomph' with the people .. the moderates or the fanatics?

I just found it interesting that the current pope had a BIG problem with the most recent previous pope over Islam. They had VERY different ideas on it and on how to deal with it. And Pope Francis was almost given walking papers by Pope Benedict over it all ....

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by TDawgRex

I just found it interesting that the current pope had a BIG problem with the most recent previous pope over Islam. They had VERY different ideas on it and on how to deal with it. And Pope Francis was almost given walking papers by Pope Benedict over it all ....

I think that one was looking at it from a religion vs. religion POV.

While the other may be looking at it from a people POV.

But there are still a lot of questions about Francis nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is looking more and more like the one world religion bid by the illuminatti through the Jesuit order.....
Maybe this Francis is no sissy.....and he will take the religions of the world by the short hairs, and weld them into one unit worshipping you know who.......??
just sayin

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Maybe if the catholic leaders accept and merge the teachings of Mohammed into their faith, and official church doctrine they can make pedophilia more acceptable, like it is now in many Muslim countries?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The god of the Muslims is the same god as Christians and Jews have. The messiahs are just different. I doubt if the true teachings of Jesus in the New Testament are in conflict with the Muslims beliefs. I don't know why everyone seems to think that they have intellectual rights to god.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The god of the Muslims is the same god as Christians and Jews have. The messiahs are just different. I doubt if the true teachings of Jesus in the New Testament are in conflict with the Muslims beliefs. I don't know why everyone seems to think that they have intellectual rights to god.

The Muslims claim to have the 'intellectual rights' to God because

(1) They claim the Christian, Jewish and Muslim god are one and the same &

(2) They claim to have the last Prophet and hence the correct prophet.

When a Muslims claims that all three religions share the same god, he isn't being conciliatory. He is claiming that Islam is the successor and hence Superior of Christianity and Judaism.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

No, that would be an incorrect statement. The Muslims worship a god of death and destruction without mercy, and their life is judged by how they die. The Christian worships a savior of love and sacrifice and mercy, and their life is judged by how they live. Muhammad killed and killed, injured and maimed. Jesus gave life, resurrected dead people back to life, healed and restored people. So actually they are very different in their ways and the muslim god is not the Christian or Jewish God.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Maybe it was because the Roman Catholic Church's creation Muhammed went against them. The Vatican created Muhammed to overthrow Jerusalem.

A Jesuit cardinal named Augustine Bea showed us how desperately the Roman Catholics wanted Jerusalem at the end of the third century. Because of its religious history and its strategic location, the Holy City was considered a priceless treasure. A scheme had to be developed to make Jerusalem a Roman Catholic city. The great untapped source of manpower that could do this job was the children of Ishmael. The poor Arabs fell victim to one of the most clever plans ever devised by the Powers of Darkness.

Islam and the Prophet Muhammed are a creation of the Roman Catholic (Babylonian) Church!

Secret Vatican Briefings on the Creation of the Prophet Muhammed

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Day two of Pope Francis ... He's wanting to make nice with everyone ....
Pope Francis Reaches Out to Jews - Pledges to Continue to Foster Strong Relations

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I understand that Pope Benedict did some damage to Catholic-Islamic relations. But did he also damage Israeli relations? I ask only because it seems Pope Francis is either on a damage-control spree, or alternatively, he is sincerely focused on uniting faiths based upon fundamental similarities.

I must say, not being religious, that I was pleasantly surprised to hear the new pope rode the bus and seemed to really live the message he preached, so the latter possibility I pose seems most likely, but I'm not sure if I missed something while reading about conspiracies on ATS!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join