It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carnival Cruises, disaster after disaster....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
We all remember that nightmare cruise disaster a month ago with the Triumph. Now, TWO more Carnival ships with issues.

The Carnival Dream is stuck at the docks in St Maarten, causing them to have to fly passengers back home, and just yesterday, they announced the Carnival Legend had to cancel its stop in Grand Cayman, and return back to port (the one I usually go out of).

That's it for me and the wife...no more Carnival cruising. In the past, we've tried them all pretty much, and Carnival wasn't bad, and was more inexpensive...but we're not going to risk it with these kinds of issues.

The Disney Cruise lines was still our best experience, even with excursions cancelled due to weather. The ships are amazing, the food superb, cleanliness is awesome, and service is bar none the best.

abcnews.go.com...

Carnival did not know the exact number of people on board the Legend but, according to its website, it can hold 2,124 passengers and 930 crew members.

How the hell do you NOT know by pressing a button? They all paid, and got ship cards, etc.

edit on 15-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
For some reason these days, when I hear about cruise lines ...I have the opening theme and scenes to Gilligan's Island in my head. You probably recall it. The '3 hour tour....' with the little boat getting beat to sticks. Yup... Everything but the nice desert island with idiots and at least one attractive lady to share the place with. Carnival just offers a credit and a 'we're sorry'. Gilligan got the better deal, it seems.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm currently reading a book about the Costa Concordia. The Concordia wrecked off the island of Giglio in January 2012 while the captain was performing a salute to the island (the ship comes as close to shore as possible and speeds by with all the lights on) because the head waiter's mother lived on the island.

Costa's parent company is Carnival.

During the sinking the captain abandoned the ship. The ship was listing heavily and the crewman didn't know how to operate the life boats. About 300 people didn't make it off the ship in lifeboats and ended up climbing onto the hull of
the ship as it turned and sank while they awaited rescue.

After everyone made it to shore, there was zero organization. People were never told what happened or where they would be going. They were shipped off by bus to hotels that had no idea they would be arriving. Costa did not make any strong attempts to contact them or help organize their transport home. People were taken to the mainland, and were basically stranded in Rome for a few days with no friends, money, food, clothes or shelter.

So yeah, I really think Carnival is the worst way to go if you were to go on a cruise. It seems they have a long record of safety violations and are very disorganized.

I've never cruised on Disney - but I HATE Disney.

Just thought I'd add my ramblings.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My dad said that they only gave these people a partial refund, with their next trip at discount.

What a joke?

The only thing the people did was go on the ship, they should be allowed to get all their money back considering they didn't go anywhere.

I bet that money is going to be used for the repairs though.

I have to laugh because dad always takes cruises.

I asked him if he was going to take one now, and he said no, he'll be driving next year.

edit on 15-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Hey Tink

I recall when that happened. I truly thought I was hearing the wrong story as I couldnt believe the incompetence! You couldnt string together more idiotic actions if you tried. The Captian behaved like a coward to boot!

Cruises... I dont do them. I have no desire to be on a floating petri dish with a bunch of stinky drunken humans... ever. WHen I think of the flood story, Noahs ark, and the mess that must have been.. I think cruiseliners.
My dad had a houseboat and we would take the extended fam out on Kentucky lake.... that was bad enough. As an adult Ive never desired a cruise.

Now I wont fly either.. touchy feely TSA... Im protesting. PLus I dont want to crash in the Andes and have to eat the passengers..

Guess Ill have to swim to Jamaica for our anniversary.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I've been on a good deal of cruises, and always enjoyed myself. It's nice being on an all-inclusive vacation (as long as you know what to expect), plenty of activities, and I love doing the shore excursions at different places. I swam with stingrays, snorkeled in crystal clear water, explored Mayan ruins, etc. on cruises.

The nighttime entertainment is fun, the shows, the games, especially on the Disney line. We got to know the entertainment crew pretty well, and had a great time, especially with some insider info. Disney cruises aren't just for kids. My wife and I have none with us, and sat with other adult couples, and there are entire adult sections of the ship (and their private island).

We've tried all the major lines, and so far, Disney simply does everything better. We enjoyed some Carnival cruises in the past, but after reading about this, it's just too much, we'll never go on another Carnival one for fear of this kind of thing happening (the strandings).

join