It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passport Procedures UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
So the other week I went to send off for my very first adult British Passport.

I provided my mothers address, where I have lived for 18 years - I recently moved out, however, I don't know if that's a permanent arrangement or not - So I figure providing any other address is irrelvant, as my mothers address will always be my contact address, at least for the forseeable future.

I was at the post office 'Check and send' (FYI, a service that costs about £8 quid)

When the lady kindly reminded me I had not included grandparents, my mother or fathers passports or birth certificates.

I informed her that all grandparents are deceased and in regards to my parents, neither of them held passports, my father passed away last year, and I cannot obtain either birth certificates.

She looked at me and was like "Why can't you get your mothers birth certificate?"

I replied "Well, that piece of paper is 48 years old, and I know she doesn't have it, plus we're not on the best terms right now, so I wouldn't ask for it anyway"

She replied "Well she'll have to send off for another copy"

Me "Well, as you can see from MY BRITISH birth certificate, my mother was born in Belfast, therefore that would be a lengthy procedure, and I already know she won't comply"

Lady "well, we can send it off and hope for the best, but I can't promise your application will be accepted"

Me "So what would happen if both my parents were dead?"

Lady "Hmm, I don't actually know"

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back from the Passport processing people to see if my application passed or not....But the more I think about it, the more annoying it becomes....In closing, my final question would be, what right have I got to demand my mothers peronal data and documents?

She may be my mother, but that doesn't give me unlimited access to her stuff, therefore how can they demand these documents that I hold no rights over??

I find the system a joke, I look English, I talk English, and I certainly couldn't fake this accent if I wanted to.... Instead of making me jump through hoops, why don't they walk out on the street and deport all these bloody illegal immigrants.
edit on 15-3-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Hi op

im in a similar position.
My father died yrs ago my mum doesnt hold a pp
My I.d was stolen so to get my birth certificate i have to send 40 quid to glasgow (where i was born)
As for a pp, I couldnt get all the info they want to purchase one.
Yet i could show you plenty of Ileagal immigrants for a fact.

Anyways op I totally comprehend. (sorry for bad spelling)
dave

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I am very confused by this...

Why the hell do you need to have details of your parents passports?

There is no reason for wanting this information. As long as you can prove that you are who you say you are, that is all that is required....

As long as you have sent off all the relevant info regarding yourself and everything is in order, ie where you were born, your birth certificate etc, then there should be no problem...

I have been travelling and renewing passports for the last 35 years and I have never come across all this drivel...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Well, they had my photo ID, my Passport, and a professional signature to say I am who I am.

They most certainly wanted the information of others also - it confused me, because surely you can't demand somebody gets somebody ELSE S documents? hmm.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear
I am very confused by this...

Why the hell do you need to have details of your parents passports?

There is no reason for wanting this information. As long as you can prove that you are who you say you are, that is all that is required....

As long as you have sent off all the relevant info regarding yourself and everything is in order, ie where you were born, your birth certificate etc, then there should be no problem...

I have been travelling and renewing passports for the last 35 years and I have never come across all this drivel...

It applies to people born on or after 1 January 1983 when they apply for their first adult passport.. I am sure though given the number of orphaned or adopted young adults in the UK that it might not always be possible to comply with this stipulation.

www.gov.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
reply to post by davethebear

Well, they had my photo ID, my Passport, and a professional signature to say I am who I am.

They most certainly wanted the information of others also - it confused me, because surely you can't demand somebody gets somebody ELSE S documents? hmm.

They can and do, however, the process used to include an interview at the passport office, I am sure cost saving wise they'll try to find some awkward administrative way around it.. given the number of orphaned young adults, or young adults who are not in contact with their families there must be other ways to verify who you are for your first passport.

I would not be surprised if you where not asked in for an interview to explain your circumstances, I know I was, and it was not painful in terms of the interview itself. which took about 5 mins in total, however it was painful in that the rest of the day was wasted waiting around for those 5 mins.

top topics

join