'Black Death pit' unearthed

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Excavations for London's Crossrail project have unearthed bodies believed to date from the time of the Black Death. A burial ground was known to be in an area outside the City of London, but its exact location remained a mystery. Thirteen bodies have been found so far in the 5.5m-wide shaft at the edge of Charterhouse Square, alongside pottery dated to the mid-14th Century. Analysis will shed light on the plague and the Londoners of the day. DNA taken from the skeletons may also help chart the development and spread of the bacterium that caused the plague that became known as the Black Death. The skeletons' arrangement in two neat rows suggests they date from the earliest era of the Black Death, before it fully developed into the pandemic that in later years saw bodies dumped haphazardly into mass graves.

www.bbc.co.uk...

------------------------------------

Terrible time to live in, I wonder (with the advent of "super-bugs") If we will ever see such a thing again.
edit on 14-3-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
very cool contribution my heathen canadian friend......

i really like history , espcially during that time..........

To your question i absolutely think we will see issues like that again.......with our over use of antibiotics and how fast strains change these days.......

Its not a matter of if but when

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Ring around the rosie, pocket full of posies ashes ashes we all fall down......

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

By 1658, the area around Charterhouse Square (centre) had escaped its status as "no-man's land"

I'll betcha that would stink if the wind was going the wrong direction. Horrible!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm pretty impressed that archeology was considered prior to building the high speed rails. Seems that most of the times everything is razed and built as fast as possible. As far as something similar happening...hell yea it will.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
So...

They are deciding to unearth a possible sealed time capsule of the plague?

Does it hibernate? Can it resurface if a "Boo-Boo" happens and they don't take precautions?

Don't know enough about the actual science of it.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

I'll bet most people don't realize where, and how that nursery rhyme originated from.

An interesting tidbit on the black death - in that age, countries would have quarantine times for people and animals moving in and out of the countries - Italy had a month long quarantine, instead of the "standard" 2 weeks, which kept the plague from becoming worse in that country.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
So...

Does it hibernate? Can it resurface if a "Boo-Boo" happens and they don't take precautions?

Peace

The black plague still exists today....

Most know it as the Bubonic Plague.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

So...

Peace

I do understand that fact.

But is it safe to be unearthing bodies that died from it? Could it still be active?

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

A burial ground was known to be in an area outside the City of London, but its exact location remained a mystery.
reply to post by canucks555

A burial ground? As in singular? I thought they were all over London, and elsewhere for that matter.

I was told that the soccer pitch at Blackheath was a mass grave, and they forbade building over it forever.

Cool find OP, S&F

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

So...

Peace

But is it safe to be unearthing bodies that died from it? Could it still be active?

Peace

That was my point. The bubonic plague is still active. In North America it is found in many animals (mainly rodents), such as the prairie dog or the fleas that carry it (bubonic plauge).

Fortunately the rodent and flea combination required to spread this plague is not common these days.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

So...

Peace

Peace

That was my point. The bubonic plague is still active. In North America it is found in many animals (mainly rodents), such as the prairie dog or the fleas that carry it (bubonic plauge).

Fortunately the rodent and flea combination required to spread this plague is not common these days.

Thanks for the info.

Truly appreciated.

This is how ATS should work.

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Yeah, people still get it. The Black Plague that killed millions were thought to be strong mutated form.

Whilst on a trip to New York, New Mexico couple John Tull and Lucinda Marker fall victim to the dreaded Bubonic plague.
edit on 15-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Under certain circumstances in the UK, an archelogical evaluation is requred by law before building work can commence. This was one of those cases. It wasn't so much that they wanted the evaluation, more that they had to do it.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

So...

Peace

Peace

Thats very true, specifically in an on birds of prey.....All of them

new topics
top topics

join