It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Now Censoring Android Apps!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

The newest Chrome and Chromium builds seem to have a bug that makes ATS format incorrectly. Due to this I reluctantly returned to Firefox last week. I repeat, reluctantly. After years of being angered over the memory bleed in FF I simply did not want to use the product ever again.

I am happy to say that I have been very, very pleasantly surprised so far. The memory bleed is still there, but is negligible at worst. I've gotten used to the slight differences in searching and tabbing - both things that Chrome excels in. Heck, even my desktop GTK theme got automatically migrated into FF. That didn't happen on Chrome.

As for Google making these moves? Sadly I expected it. What makes it more sad is that for many Google products are their entry to Linux ( even if they don't know it ) and the Google mindset is finding its way into even some Linux distros now. Google was, amazingly enough, is poised to be a game changer in just about every facet of computing, from portables, to phones, even to desktops and operating systems. What they do in the short term will have a very major and lasting impact upon the entire game.

Sad to see them making such bad decisions as this. It doesn't bode well and has more of an implication than most folks understand.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The ads are there for developers who do not wish to put a price on their work, but would like some small income for their hardwork.

Paid android apps do not have ads.

Android has many more free apps available than there are for the iPhone, because of the ads. If they removed the ads most of the apps would then become paid ones, and google then loses one of its selling points. If they didnt have the number of free apps that they do available, i fear most people would have an iphone, thats how i see it anyway.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Google is starting to distance themselves from the blogs too. They are trashing Google Reader (for RSS feeds) come July.

Maybe Google is just going to for all out profit now.

A few months ago, Google announced it was going to start tracking the purchases of individuals not just online -- but -- also in real physical stores. The implications are way past alarming.

Lurking on some forums, I read that people were installing custom ROMS on their android phones and not re-installing "Google Apps" afterward. Instant reduction of bloatware/spyware. I tried it last week and my phone works fine. I've decided to use only apps I can buy/obtain as APK files and manually install them on my phone. I still will not install any apps that demand permissions that don't relate to their normal function.

De-googling your phone and desktop is probably one of the smarter things you can do today.

edit on 15-3-2013 by jcarpenter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I have never quite trusted Google. I'm quite sure they stuck their oar in when cyanogen mod7 came out which allowed users to change app permissions. this soon disappeared on later versions.

my advice to anyone using android is to learn how to root and install a custom ROM. even those with old phones. I'm using a galaxy ace on jellybean 4.2.2 with CM 10.1 and with a few extra tweaks my privacy stays mine.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I do not understand people getting upset over it ...

You listen to free radio, you get ads by commercials. Some pay radios even have ads. You pay for your TV stations, you get ads. Drive down the road ... ads. Your phone company may sell your number and ads call you at home, etc etc.

Ok, I will defend Google,

You want free 5 meg fiber internet? Google Fiber
You want a high end low cost smart phone? Google Nexus 4
You want a high end 7" or 10" low cost tablet? Nexus 7 or nexus 10
You want a free customizable OS capable of running almost anything? Android

The list goes on and on ...

Hate on it all you want but ads are really a small price to pay for free and low cost goods and it is simple to opt out, don't buy or use Google products or services or learn to root.

Besides, You do not need those apps to edit your host file and then keep running in the background, learn to do it yourself ...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
....my advice to anyone using android is to learn how to root and install a custom ROM. even those with old phones. I'm using a galaxy ace on jellybean 4.2.2 with CM 10.1 and with a few extra tweaks my privacy stays mine.

What extra tweaks?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
download fdroid its like the playstore.

Ad Away is on it not sure about ad blocker plus.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
expected google to do that .. am rooted and have adblockers along with privacy apps installed . I have .apk's for all my apps as well .. if anyone wants adaway or adblock plus I'll either send copies or put them in dropbox ... meh ... let them censor get most of my apps from other sources anyway ...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It's not shocking, and I think it's a great move by Google. Many developers, big and small, provide software, websites and games for free. They can do this thanks to ads, you need to put yourself in the developers shoes and see how damaging software like Adblock is to the development community. By removing it Google is actually supporting developers. I despise programs like Adblock, and what angers me most is that the developer of Adblock asks for donations, they're asking for the thing that they're taking away from other developers.

Well done Google. As a developer, thank you.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
I'm not surprised as this benefits Google which makes most of its money off of ad revenue. It's not long before they block the software from their Chrome Browser.

Yeah, it is going to suck having to switch back to Firefox. I like Chrome a lot more, but hey, if it comes down to it... Firefox it is.

I just had to do that a couple weeks ago. I started having major add and virus problems and after a week of cleaning out my computer, it honestly looks like chrome was the source. I've since switched back to firefox and the problems are gone.

On a side note, firefox seems much better than the last time I used it, I'm really enjoying it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I wasn't thinking of the developer side of things but you are right.

Personally, I pay for all the apps I use, hate to even add up how much I have spent on apps.

Free apps are nice for a demo but if I like an app and I use it I always support the dev.

There was an article recently about Android users only wanting free stuff. I guess I am in the minority in this regard, I always pay my way. I am even paying for my hotspot (Verizon unlimited month to month) when I could get it for free too.

People hate on Google and some Apps for privacy concerns and ads and they are not entirely wrong but with a little knowledge and discretion, you can have good security and a personal customizable experience and still support those whom services you are using. In my mind it helps keep prices low for us all and encourage those who make great things to keep the ball rolling ...

Oh and before anyone asks, Dr.Suess's Sleep Book is for the dude ...

... and no it has the exact opposite effect as was intended

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Google Takes the Dark Path, Censors AdBlock Plus on Android

In a shocking move, Google has recently deleted AdBlock Plus from the Android Play Store. This is hugely disappointing because it demonstrates that Google is willing to censor software and abandon its support for open platforms as soon as there's an ad-related business reason for doing so.

Until now, the Internet and software development communities have relied on Google to be safely on their side when it comes to building open platforms, encouraging innovation, and giving users maximum choice about how their computers will function. But with today's news, that commitment to openness suddenly looks much, much weaker.

Read the rest of the article here: www.eff.org...

This is very disturbing news. Personally I rely on a number of privacy apps and add-ons that help to protect my identity online and prevent tracking without my consent. It is my right to control what is and sent sent to and from my computer, since I own my computer; same goes for my smart phone. Privacy software is becoming increasingly important in this day and age.

We are entering a new age of censorship that is based on protecting profits rather than censoring political ideologies, and is being perpetrated by corporations rather than governments, and I think this is a lot more dangerous. You can't trust anyone who bases content censorship decisions on financial motives; these kinds of people are the least trustworthy and in my opinion, the lowest form of scum. They hide behind their same tired argument of "we're a private company so we can do whatever we want" which in their minds, apparently absolves them of any moral responsibility and intellectual integrity. (No doubt the shills will be on here soon to beat that dead horse.)

I'm just glad I have enough of a facility with technology to know how to root devices and install 3rd party apps, so this won't directly affect me, but not everyone is as privy with technology, and I feel a great disservice has been done to Android users who might care about what kind of content is sent to and from their devices.
edit on 14-3-2013 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

I just saw a ChromeBook laptop commercial and I got sick to my stomach. Just imagine the privacy you will lose by using googles hardware/software, and all that a non chromebook can do now, i.e. video, audio, bluetooth just to name a few.

I hope this ChromeBook doesn't do well...

All surfing and views plus location via your chromebook laptop will be monitored, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
It's not shocking, and I think it's a great move by Google. Many developers, big and small, provide software, websites and games for free. They can do this thanks to ads.....

So google builds a near-monopoly, throws crumbs to you ..... so you defend them. Understandable. Meanwhile, the quality of the system slides due to lack of real competition and culture of spyware that has grown up around this market.

You would make double the money offering quality apps to a diversified market.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

It's not shocking, and I think it's a great move by Google. Many developers, big and small, provide software, websites and games for free. They can do this thanks to ads.....

So google builds a near-monopoly, throws crumbs to you ..... so you defend them. Understandable. Meanwhile, the quality of the system slides due to lack of real competition and culture of spyware that has grown up around this market.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. There's a huge competition in the smartphone industry and spyware isn't related to ad blocking. Security is a different issue, and there are plenty of quality apps for that. The market is huge, across at least 4 major platforms, the quality of each is always increasing due to this competition. People want apps for free, it's not nearly as simple as you make it sound, and unobtrusive ads in free software isn't really an issue.
edit on 15-3-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter
So APPLE builds a near-monopoly, throws crumbs to you ..... so you defend them. Understandable. Meanwhile, the quality of the system slides due to lack of real competition and culture of spyware that has grown up around this market.

There I fixed that for you ...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I don't think you know what you're talking about. There's a huge competition in the smartphone industry and spyware isn't related to ad blocking. Security is a different issue, and there are plenty of quality apps for that. The market is huge, across at least 4 major platforms, the quality of each is always increasing due to this competition. People want apps for free, it's not nearly as simple as you make it sound, and unobtrusive ads in free software isn't really an issue.

Let's see ... we have apple and android. Who are the other "major" platforms? Educate me please.

Advertising and spyware is about as closely related as it gets. At least according to patents and other info now in the public domain. This relationship is how I can make an anonymous post stating that I liked a certain nature show -- and within 30 minutes I have an advertisement from them in my email. Coincidence? I've never been on their website, period. But I've been receiving ads from them since that day I made the post.

Bury your head in the sand if you wish, but today we have personal microphones that listen to us, cameras and vid cams that capture our environment (not under our control). We even have desktop TV boxes that scan the room for the presence of people. These industries are out-of-control and people that defend this practice are a large part of the problem.

edit on 15-3-2013 by jcarpenter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hey, Ubuntu for Android is pretty cool too ...

As far as other "major" mobile OSes jcarpenter asked about there is also Windows phone and RIM (blackberry) is trying to make a comeback, they rewrote their code to run Android apps.

Up comers with uncertain futures, we have Ubuntu mobile as Heff pointed out, Firefox OS and Sailfish OS.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm trying really hard to see the problem here.

The Playstore pulled a couple of ad-blocking apps. Okay, if you can afford an android device, pay for the app and no ads.

Option two: Root the phone a pop a custom ROM on it. Tailor it to suit your needs. If you've ever built a ROM, you should already have all your favorite .apks already.

Option three: Deal with the ads on the apps you use.

Option four: Buy an iPhone instead.

Honestly, Google developed a superior platform with Android, and they've left it open source for a reason. To stop hosting a particular app does not mean it doesn't function anymore, just that they don't approve of it. As other's have stated, they can still be found. I have a friend with a Kindle Fire, and he wanted to install a Big Ten app to watch games streaming on his fire, but the Amazon App Store didn't have it. He couldn't get it from the Playstore either, but I was able to quickly locate the .apk he wanted, and now he's happily watching his games on his Kindle. It runs, of course, an Amazon tweaked version of Android, but there's enough consistency in the platform to run standardized apps.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Its google's website, they can do what they like with it, especially since Adblock plus sounds to similar to google's social media platform Google +

And of course, Google wouldnt allow an application on their turf interfer with googles heart of business , which is advertising revenue

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join