It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report predicts massive death, destruction from overdue Pacific Northwest mega-quake

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by stirling

Both Seattle and Vancouver are relatively protected from a direct hit. It may swell in there through the channel but won't be like the one that hit Japan.

Yea you may be right but Victoria would get squashed and washed.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Depends where the earthquake is. The Island shelters waves from further out, but if this is closer to shore, then waves build height as they go inland.

Vancouver pretty much on the water.

Though Casey's map didn't make a lot of sense. Anything north of Mount Saint Helens has to contend with a land mass the size of Ireland under it, ie. perhaps a chunk of Mu. It in't going to break off into the ocean. But it could start building. The history in Fraser Valley, that I've read about was hot earth and mountain building.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I hear Mt. Ranier is overdue also. Well I've lived up there and the Coast is not populated anything like Japan is. Plus all the trees should slow the tsunami down so hopefully it wouldn't be as bad as Japan.

I've been to Oregon & the coast several times and you're right... it's very hilly and mountainous, pretty much right up to the edge of the ocean in most spots. So it doesn't take long to make it up high enough to get away from a tsunami and the tsunami routes are clearly marked. However, the fact that the only main road is the 101 and it is 2 lanes most of the way, does make that a little trying, but like you said, the populations are so small, it would probably be a case of people knowing how to run up the route and not drive anyway.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mountaingirl1111

I hear Mt. Ranier is overdue also. Well I've lived up there and the Coast is not populated anything like Japan is. Plus all the trees should slow the tsunami down so hopefully it wouldn't be as bad as Japan.

I've been to Oregon & the coast several times and you're right... it's very hilly and mountainous, pretty much right up to the edge of the ocean in most spots. So it doesn't take long to make it up high enough to get away from a tsunami and the tsunami routes are clearly marked. However, the fact that the only main road is the 101 and it is 2 lanes most of the way, does make that a little trying, but like you said, the populations are so small, it would probably be a case of people knowing how to run up the route and not drive anyway.

Some of our areas escape routs for a tsunami created near to us offshore such as a slide or close quake are blocked by rivers. The Japan quake sent water up several miles and even created a salt water lake in the mountains.

They tell us if we feel a quake we have approx 12 mins time to get out, that would take you no where in time.

Most populated areas are not on mountains but in the low areas of the coast. There are many bridges and rivers. it would really all depend on the type of incident and where. We are at 50ft elevation but it would take us at least 35 minuets to reach high ground if the rivers let us cross.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
There's a reason why on the Oregon coast, the most expensive real estate is at an elevation overlooking the ocean of at least a few hundred feet. The Coastal Range mountains should stop much of any tsunami getting farther in than a half mile or so, depending on the area. If I chose to live in one of the small coastal towns (and they're lovely but foggy and cold a lot of the year) I'd have a motorcycle all ready to go at a moment's notice, something that could climb the hills even without an open road available. Time will be of the essence in the case of the tsunami warning horns going off, and the roads won't necessarily be clear.

I researched this a lot when I moved to Oregon and decided on a southern Oregon town right off I-5, about 70 miles inland as the crow flies. It's still a reasonably short drive to the coast if you want to go for the day, but far enough inland to be sheltered from both the winter storms and any tsunami issues. We'll have plenty of warning if a volcano blows, so I'm not concerned about that. For anyone who is looking for a great retirement area, southern Oregon has the same climate as the south of France, but it's a whole lot cheaper. And while we're shy on ancient castles, the wine is just as good and the produce is exceptional. The Willamette Valley is one of the most productive fruit, veggie, nut and berry areas of the world. Eating local here is a joy.

Everywhere has it's risks, but I'd take this area any day over the entire NE and it's blizzards, bugs and crowds, the humidity of the Mid-Atlantic and Southern states, the tornadoes of the Midwest, and the deserts of the Southwest.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join