It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto’s raccoon stupidity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A classic example of a city letting political correctness run amok.

www.680news.com...

www.thestar.com...

A person pleads guilty to whacking a raccoon with a shovel.

A city has a rodent problem, but they attack everything, and everyone, except the rodents themselves.

You can’t shoot them. It’s illegal to use firearms in the city.
You can’t poison them.
You can’t trap them and take them any meaningful distance. There is a limit of 1km which means the coon will probably be back to the house faster than you will be.
You can’t snare them.
You can’t trap them and take them to a vet to be put down because most vets will not deal with wild animals.

They have had people say that they have paid over $300 to have a raccoon trapped, and the trapper took the coon out to the parking lot out in front of the building and released it again. Literally in sight of the house that he trapped it from.

And you wonder why someone finally snapped and just went medieval on their little fury asses by engaging in a little game of whack a coon.

Toronto has been called the “raccoon capital of the world". It has already gotten way past the point of insanity.

Toronto needs to pass an allowance for using small caliber low velocity firearms in the city limits to allow the citizens to cull the animals on an as needed basis. The citizens should be allowed to. They should not be forced to rely on the city for that.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Poor ol' Dong he probably didn't even consider it cruel to smack the raccoons.

I'd figure with a huge raccoon population there would be a risk of rabies, I've got raccoon here a few I see always digging in the trash. My dog thinks they want to play but I make her keep her distance.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Some people keep those critters as pets. But with the rabies, something needs to be done. A raccoon can really get down to business and mess you up.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Some people keep those critters as pets. But with the rabies, something needs to be done. A raccoon can really get down to business and mess you up.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I have a HUGE raccoon problem. These are wonderful, intelligent, and beautiful mammals but they will wreak havoc on your vegetable garden and your chicken coop. They have cost me hundreds of dollars in damages over the years. I shoot pellet guns at them. I trap them. I use all manner of organic repellents and physical deterrents against them in my garden. I feel horrible about it, but I have even poisoned them when nothing else was working. I have chased them out of my garden with a baseball bat. And yes, if I could have got close enough, I'd have bludgeoned the thing. I have seriously considered camping out on my deck during the summer to scare them off.

I have a friend who hunts with bow and arrow and he says that there are no ordinances against shooting arrows in our city. He has volunteered to come help me eliminate the problem some night.

... If I lived in Toronto, I'd either break the law, or move. Seriously.

Here is my yard at night:

OK not really. But it feels that way.

edit on 14-3-2013 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The problem that makes things worse in Toronto is canada’s weapons laws.

In the US cities many people turn to air weapons for hunting urban game. (rats, possum, and coon.) The reason for that is discharging firearms is not allowed. But airguns, no mater what the size are not considered firearms in the US. So you can legal use airguns in many US cities for killing urban pest where firearms are not allowed.

But in Canada, any airgun that shoots a projectile faster than 500fps is legally considered a firearm, and thus, it is illegal to use in the city to kill pest.

A modern 22 air rifle could be used against them for a human kill in the urban environment, but as I stated, those are considered firearms in Canada.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Yes and we Canadians like our polar bears too !
Leave them alone.
I'm talking to you crazy fudds who
think that every head needs to be mounted, and that every
bison needed to be killed into extinction
, think again.
Nature takes care of business better
then any elmer fudd wanna be.
Plus this is Cannada NOT texas (thank goodness)

edit on 15/3/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

top topics

join